Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

clusterf#ck

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:34 AM

I hope someone can help on this issue. My daughter's computer (not this unit) is an Asus, I can't get to a place to get the model number. It had been running Windows 7 and developed some kind of problems booting up. It was taken to a tech who installed Windows 10, but I think he did not delete Windows 7 first. Now the unit opens, and  shows the Windows screen but says in the bottom 'To Activate Windows go to 'Settings'. But when I get to 'Settings'. it lists the various Windows apps and looks like it is running. It is taking about 2-3 minutes for each screen change, and when I did a restart, and was told to press any key to skip disk check,I pressed a key but  went into disk check anyway, but has been stuck on 0% for the last 29 minutes. When I tried to open task manager (which took about 10 minutes) it had multiple entries for each operation. I don't know if it would run HJT since it is running so slowly, but can anyone offer some ideas on how to get this thing running again?

Thank you! . 

Life is strange......and then there's Thailand....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,709 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:28 AM

Did the disk check ever complete?   If so, what were the results?

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:33 PM

Brian,

Thanks for the reply.No, actually, after about a half-hour, I thought it was not doing an actual disk check and was just stuck in some never-never land, so I shut it down. Should I try the disk-check again and just let it run for however long it takes?  Also, she had been running the unit without a fan-base. Could this be a thermally-related problem? 

Thanks

David

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,709 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

It is doubtful, but not impossible, that this could be due to overheating.  

Without the full system specs it is very difficult to know where to begin.  If you are able to follow the instructions to download and post a Speccy system analysis I'd ask you to do so even if you have to skip the disk check to get it.

Publish a Speccy system snapshot and provide the web address for it in your message.  Here are downloadable step-by-step instructions

for doing this:
                     - Using Speccy,  PDF Format 
                     - Using Speccy,  MS-Word Format

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 01:51 AM

I'll  get back in a few minutes.

Edited by PGHinBKK, 26 October 2017 - 01:52 AM.

#6 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 02:01 AM

OK, it 'opened' and went into disk check immediately...been on 0% for ten

minutes...  is there ANY program or check-program that I can run from a flash drive in MS-DOS or safe-mode? how long should I let it go before deciding that's it's not working and try something else?

OK, 3:03pm Thursday  it's been on 0% for an hour now...I hate to use the power button to shut it down, as I've heard that's bad for the hard-drive. Is there anything else I can try?

Thanks 

Edited by PGHinBKK, 26 October 2017 - 02:56 AM.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,709 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

Shutting down with the power button is not ideal, but it has nothing to do with "being hard on the hard drive."

If you do a hard shutdown using the power button several times in succession (I think it's three, but it may be four) Windows 10 should boot into recovery mode.

Again, it is next to impossible to assist you without having the data requested.  There's a reason we ask for Speccy system snapshots.

#8 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:32 PM

Brian, 

Thanks again for the response. I know why mods request specific info, I've used this site before, and always with excellent results and great helpfulness and patience on the part of the mods. The problem is now the computer did the disk check (almost 2 hours), then I told it to go into self-repair. After another hour, it said it could not repair itself, and asked if I wanted to: do advanced options or go to Windows 10.  I tried the advanced options, and requested it to do a system restore, but was told there were no restore points established. (Again, this is my daughter's unit, I'm unfortunately not here every day to oversee her usage (I work 450km away from home)) and never had the chance to create a system restore point when the unit was running properly. So I went back to the after-diagnostics screen this morning, and told it to go to Windows, and it went back to the blank screen.

It finally went back to the screen asking about self-diagnostics, and again I went to 'Advanced Options', and told it to keep my files but to reinstall Windows. After ten minutes, it said there was a problem resetting the commuter and no changes were made.

When I tell it to go back to Windows, it looks like there is a flash of a Windows screen that shows for a  split second before going back to the diagnostics-options  screen.

OK, it went back to a screen showing the Windows icon and running a diagnostic on itself. Just like before. Then went to the screen that says it can't repair itself. It's stuck in some kind of loop. It won't start Windows, and can't repair itself. 

If I power it down, then restart it, can I do something to get it into safe-mode and see if it will run from there, or should I just buy another Windows 10 disc and see if I can get it to boot from that, though at present I can't get to the set-up screen to select an alternative boot device. Will having the disc in the CD drive do anything without me selecting it as the boot device? 

I'll let you know what happens. Sorry for the confusion, but it's taking so long for the screen changes that I'm never sure what's coming next. 

Thanks again.

Edited by PGHinBKK, 27 October 2017 - 01:24 AM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,709 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:34 AM

At this juncture, since given the timelines involved I feel as certain as I can feel that you cannot have anything later than Windows 10 Version 1703 on that system, I would try the instructions (or most of them, I'll get into the exceptions) for Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file.

Since you cannot boot into Windows 10 itself, you obviously cannot do the "insert the media and then double click on setup.exe," part.   You will actually have to change the boot order in UEFI/BIOS such that it looks to the media you've created to boot from.   When Windows boots from external media it will still detect that there is an existing Windows 10 installation on the hard disc and I would select this for updating using the "Keep apps and files" option.

You have a very messy situation here in that it is not entirely clear whether the Windows 10 installation that's on the machine was legal and activated (and I'm not saying that's your fault - but it's still unclear what that tech did and exactly when, date and time wise, that he or she did it).   Until or unless you can get back into Windows 10 on this machine you're stuck.

If upgrading does not work then the next thing I'd advise is making sure you have all the user data backed up from the hard drive on that computer, which can be done by hooking it up as an external drive on another computer (or putting it in as a second internal drive if you have a spare bay) and copying all the user data off of it.  Then I would put it back in the original machine and do a full, clean install of Windows 10 and see where that gets you.   This will require you to reinstall any third party programs that were previously on the machine (e.g., MS-Office, any utilities like CCleaner or similar, etc., etc., etc.) as those do not ship with Windows 10.

Another option you might consider as well, but ONLY AFTER BACKING UP THE USER DATA, is using ASUS System Restore (and I know that they typically had this feature - do a web search for the make/model specific details) to put the computer back to it's "out of the box" state with Windows 7 and then do the Windows 10 update yourself using the media you created with the Media Creation Tool.   If the machine was previously successfully licensed for Windows 10 the license will already be on Microsoft's servers and you never have to enter a key.

#10 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 09:23 PM

Bri,

Thanks again. I'll try the 3 or 4 taps on the power button and see what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users