Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my GPU (via Motherboard GPU)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 JohnSmith11

JohnSmith11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 05:01 PM

Some BIOS's automatically disable the CPU's integrated GPU when an external graphics card is detected.  Others don't or have it as a manual setting.  My Gigabyte motherboard allows me to disable it manually via a BIOS option (advanced CPU features, I believe).  I've left it enabled, but it saves a tiny amount of memory if it's disabled.

WixxUpI.jpg

I can assure you the iGPU does nothing when an external graphics card is being used, if a monitor cable is not plugged into it.  No "SLI".  No acting as a co-processor.  I cannot even use it for QuickSync (an accelerated video encoding algorithm supported on Intel iGPU's).  It sits idle.

ok, I still cant figure out why my GPU is getting so hot :S

new asus gputweak update has made my gpu much much better due to the memory defragmention function, i recommend all those who experience similar problems to check it out,

thx again guys.

Edited by JohnSmith11, 22 October 2017 - 07:54 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:02 PM

I fitted an aftermarket cooler to my Radeon R9 270 GPU, not because it was overheating but because the fans were rattling and seriously annoying me.  The replacement I fitted, an Arctic Mono Plus is not only near inaudible, but lowered the temps I was seeing by 10-20 degrees (and as I said, it was not overheating to start with).  If the performance of your current cooler is bothering you, then it may be something you could do.  However, like others have said, the temperatures you're reporting are within spec.

#18 JohnSmith11

JohnSmith11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:06 AM

I fitted an aftermarket cooler to my Radeon R9 270 GPU, not because it was overheating but because the fans were rattling and seriously annoying me.  The replacement I fitted, an Arctic Mono Plus is not only near inaudible, but lowered the temps I was seeing by 10-20 degrees (and as I said, it was not overheating to start with).  If the performance of your current cooler is bothering you, then it may be something you could do.  However, like others have said, the temperatures you're reporting are within spec.

could u please provide guide on how to set it up, further more if u can give more advice regarding the cooler id b very happy

#19 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,944 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:25 AM

It was not hard to fit on my particular GPU.  They vary.  Some cards may need additional work.

1) Remove old cooler and unplug fans from PCB

2) Clean up old thermal compound from GPU chip

3) Clean memory chips with pencil eraser

4) Test fit new cooler.

5) Check wiring on fan of new cooler vs stock fan and alter if necessary (I needed to re-wire the fan plug). Don't skip this step.

6) If using, test fit supplied RAM heatsinks and check clearance against cooler

7) Fit RAM sinks using supplied thermal adhesive. Allow one hour to cure.

8) Apply thermal compound to GPU chip

9) Fit GPU cooler and tighten down securely

10) Plug in fan

11) If all looks OK, re-install card and test.

The cooler I used made the card into a 3 slot card, so not good for cramped systems.

rymREL8.jpg

As far as I can tell, not many companies making aftermarket GPU coolers any more.  Coolers by Arctic and Gelid seem to be easiest to buy now.

#20 JohnSmith11

JohnSmith11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 06:02 PM

Compare the GPU clocks from your friends and yours, your friends is showing 1137 MHZ and yours only shows 135 MHZ. Not sure why it is so different? Look into that and see what you find instead of worrying about temps for now.

whats TPU?

and I am too afraid to switch stock fans since they were built with the GPU therefore it fits best.

EDIT :

i am still reading about it ,

Whats EPU tho ? should I enable it too ?

Besides hows it gonna help my GPU get better?

another question,

Since my father has built this computer and he is beginner-even lower than that at building pcs ( i still regret letting him do the job xD)

i am pretty sure all he knew at the time was just cabling the cables because he thought it was like those old E6550 PC's ...

when we were constructing it all up he kept saying this is difficult and hes scared...

What else should I check other then TPU

thx again

Edited by JohnSmith11, 25 October 2017 - 06:15 PM.

#21 JohnSmith11

JohnSmith11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:35 PM

Srry for double post im from phone...
My pc wont start and its bcus of that TPU thing
I installed asus suite ai 3
I read carefully the instructions
It asked if i wanted extreme or fast overclock (it was in the 5 steps thing)
I chose fast cus i wasnt sure if my pc could handle extreme.

Then my pc just shut down and had dark screen then it booted in to black screen with 3 - 4 beeps and there was suddenly big red led close to the cpu area.

I must say THAT even before I tried to overclock my motherboard had red light everytime it booted for the last 3 and a half years...

Now i am scared , i will probably reset bios settings tonorrow but what can i do?
Why my pc cant be overclocked and had red led. Is it supposed to be red or green?

#22 JohnSmith11

JohnSmith11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 07:37 PM

Srry for double post im from phone... and cant edit my msgs.. i am scared
My pc wont start and its bcus of that TPU tweak thing inside of what
I installed asus suite ai 3
I read carefully the instructions
It asked if i wanted extreme or fast overclock (it was in the 5 steps thing)
I chose fast cus i wasnt sure if my pc could handle extreme.

Then my pc just shut down and had dark screen then it booted in to black screen with 3 - 4 beeps and there was suddenly big red led close to the cpu area.

I must say THAT even before I tried to overclock my motherboard had red light everytime it booted for the last 3 and a half years...

Now i am scared , i will probably reset bios settings tonorrow but what can i do?
Why my pc cant be overclocked and had red led. Is it supposed to be red or green?

#23 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 PM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:16 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294229-30-asus-this

TPU is a way to overclock, overclocking creates more heat which you don't want so I would recommend it be turned off. Try resetting the bios to get it back working for now. 

#24 JohnSmith11

JohnSmith11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:19 AM

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/294229-30-asus-this

TPU is a way to overclock, overclocking creates more heat which you don't want so I would recommend it be turned off. Try resetting the bios to get it back working for now. 

bios reset worked, but theres somethinng very interesting with my pc.  strange but interesting,

since i have built it with my father and we arent " professional" we  followed the manual .

i have had red led blips everytime pc startin up for the last 4 years and now my attemps to do oc always failed .

why my pc cant oc? u have any idea?

maybe we buult it wrong?

what r those red blips on the motherboard?

Edit :

after reinstalling the HWmonitor to the most recent version I found very interesting screenshots that proves my point , of the PC being built wrong :

Problem : Screenshots attached

zocpyt.jpg

2w73ei1.jpg

28wp7r4.jpg

The answer(needs clarification from you guys)  I found to my problem in the internet, cant clarify its true since temps are stable on the other eras.

Answer:

if the bios says nothing about it, it is possible that board does not have a temperature sensor. that is probably why hwmonitor is being strange. remember to choose best answer.

Edited by JohnSmith11, 26 October 2017 - 10:36 AM.

#25 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,944 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 10:38 AM

Sometimes an LED is just an LED to light up the case/look pretty  :lmao: If it's to indicate the status of anything, it should be labelled on the PCB and/or referred to in the manual somewhere.  The fact the computer starts, and works and has done for 4 years suggests there's not too much wrong with it.

Not all hardware can overclock well.  You may have heard of the "silicon lottery"?  Basically it means you may be lucky or may not, and some chips OC better than others.  There's no guarantees.  I've never had much luck with GPU overclocking.  Add in the fact that many performance cards are now factory overclocked, which often means even less scope for user overclocking.  CPU's often have a bit more headroom with the right cooling.

#26 JohnSmith11

JohnSmith11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

At least ur attempts wasnt failing, mine cant even het past bootmenu.
What do you think of the motherboard results?

#27 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 03:03 PM

I think your cpu temps are fine, the nuvoton look high but it seems normal if you compare here. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2500573/crazy-temperatures.html

I don't believe you answered my question about whether or not you have the TPU switch enabled or disabled. I would recommend you disable it if it is enabled for now until you figure your issue out. Remember, overclocking means more heat which is not what you said you wanted.

#28 JohnSmith11

JohnSmith11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 06:48 PM

I think your cpu temps are fine, the nuvoton look high but it seems normal if you compare here. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2500573/crazy-temperatures.html

I don't believe you answered my question about whether or not you have the TPU switch enabled or disabled. I would recommend you disable it if it is enabled for now until you figure your issue out. Remember, overclocking means more heat which is not what you said you wanted.

so in order to check it i have to get AI suite 3 or just open the case and check the switch?

#29 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:28 AM

Open the case and check the switch, my post number 10 shows a link to the manual if you don't have it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users