Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading my GPU (via Motherboard GPU)

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 JohnSmith11

JohnSmith11

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:03 PM

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:41 PM

Hello, my friend has GTX 770 Gigabyte and I have Asus 770.

We both play the same games yet he can play any game at ULTRA while his GPU never gets hotter than 60"c".

When I play the same game at LOWEST settings my GPU gets to 80"c" easily.

I checked our rigs in HWmonitor and I noticed that his Motherboard GPU works while his main GPU works as well

is this some kind of SLI ? because it seems like it solves all of his temp problems.

I have Asus Z97-a and i read in his specs it has

ASUS TPU :
- Auto Tuning
- GPU Boost
- TPU switch

Now how can I know if it has built in motherboard, or is there anyway that it could work together with my gtx 770 same as how my friend does?

Thanks in advance, I really want to lower this temps and I try many things .

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:27 AM

Have you cleaned your computer? That would be step 1

And no it's not some kind of SLI, thats not how it works with Nvidia.

I Love Lamp!

#3 JohnSmith11

JohnSmith11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:19 AM

I will upload few pictures now,

Showing how my friend that has similar rig gets better temp results than me.

*NOTE: I clean my PC from dust daily. last time i cleaned was 1 week ago.

My PC at idle state is normally at 30c-35c

but while running heavy games like PUBG the gpu temp goes up to 80 easily is fps is uncapped

while my friend's temp is somewhere around the 45-55 (1 50 GTX770 and 1 50 on HD4600)

Right now im TRYING to get my HD4600 To work but it keep showing me the error of *pic attached*

This error appears to me

5ff13k.png

My friends rig and HW status.

2u9k17m.png

2uyg0fl.png

My own HW status and device manager.

2v1rs6f.jpg

#4 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:14 PM

Compare the GPU clocks from your friends and yours, your friends is showing 1137 MHZ and yours only shows 135 MHZ. Not sure why it is so different? Look into that and see what you find instead of worrying about temps for now.

#5 JohnSmith11

JohnSmith11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:16 PM

Compare the GPU clocks from your friends and yours, your friends is showing 1137 MHZ and yours only shows 135 MHZ. Not sure why it is so different? Look into that and see what you find instead of worrying about temps for now.

my clock wasnt high because i was idling (desktop)

i can show take another picture while in game if it helps he just closed a game so thats why he has such high clock temps

*ill edit and put post with Screenshot of me with the highest clockspeed

NOTE

Since I don't want my GPU to get more than 60"c"

Both pictures uploaded of the footage was taken UNDER this circumstances in Nvidia settings :

V on Triple buffering

V on ADAPTIVE V SYNC HALF REFRESH RATE (30fps)

GPU : Gtx 770

(Game played is PUBG)

This is WITHOUT rivatuner ( I don't use it because it makes my game crash alot )

bi6yxx.png

This is WITH rivatuner statisitics

35izj91.png

Edited by JohnSmith11, 22 October 2017 - 01:12 PM.

#6 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 02:35 PM

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-770/specifications

Looks like 98 C is the highest safest temp it can handle. 

Okay so what is the issue here, does the game play okay on your rig at ultra settings? Is there a problem or just a concern about your rig?

#7 JohnSmith11

JohnSmith11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:45 PM

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-770/specifications

Looks like 98 C is the highest safest temp it can handle. 

Okay so what is the issue here, does the game play okay on your rig at ultra settings? Is there a problem or just a concern about your rig?

the issue is that my friend has a way to play it on ultra on 60c while i have to play on 98c while we have the same gpu. why would i want to shorten my gpu life when theres something i can do to avoid it?

i have screens of his inside rig and whatever ull ask me, im pretty sure its his onboard gpu that takes some of the work and gives space to his primary gpu to cool off.

can you help me find a way to fix my drivers, so my HD 4600 will work with gtx 770 just like my friend ?

u can see pictures of our rigs to compare.

After I tried to DOWNLOAD i7 4790 drivers it kept saying you can't install it on this system.

i did some research and found that theres somethign in the bios i need to change but i dont know how to do it with z97-a

please help me :(

proof

i dont wanna buy this program but if it can do something to make my driver work then, what is it ?

https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/error-messages-seen-installing-intel-graphics-drivers/

thread to intel trying to help but failing..

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/articles/000005566/graphics-drivers.html

Edited by JohnSmith11, 22 October 2017 - 03:53 PM.

#8 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:56 PM

You dont need to buy a driver program just download the latest driver from the card manufacturer and do a clean install also try swapping GPU's with you friend.

I Love Lamp!

#9 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:05 PM

duplicate

Edited by QQQQ, 22 October 2017 - 04:17 PM.

#10 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:15 PM

The Intel HD 4600 is not doing anything on his system if he is using a 770 too, can't do SLI with different GPU's much less manufacturers. 

Do you know if TPU is enabled on your motherboard? https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97A/HelpDesk_Manual/

Page 1- 41 of the users manual shows how to check.

#11 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:19 PM

Don't worry about the Intel HD 4600 driver you don't need it.

And stay away from drivereasy too.

Edited by QQQQ, 22 October 2017 - 04:20 PM.

#12 JohnSmith11

JohnSmith11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:23 PM

The Intel HD 4600 is not doing anything on his system if he is using a 770 too, can't do SLI with different GPU's much less manufacturers. 

Do you know if TPU is enabled on your motherboard? https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97A/HelpDesk_Manual/

Page 1- 41 of the users manual shows how to check.

ill read what is TPU and if its on. what exactly is that suppose to do?

and to the comment above me ,

You dont need to buy a driver program just download the latest driver from the card manufacturer and do a clean install also try swapping GPU's with you friend.

I updated all 770's GPU to the latest driver version, to be fair ever since I received this GPU It had a tendency to jump to high temps while my friend and some other friends i have to do always seem to have stable temps at higher qualities than me... I NEVER Put games higher than low because they always get hotter than 60"c" . PUBG on lowest settings was 80 "C" before i made what I wrote above (cutting the "HZ" by half, and more)

we can't swap GPUs since I am too scared to plug my own out XD

maybe because I didnt have experience at the time on how to cable in the gpu properly to the motherboard.. i think theres a problem with the way I built my PC.

my friend gave experts to build his PC ( sorry for poor english, i mean like constructing it if you understand.. i did it with my father and he dont have much experience in this era)

so it doesnt make sense i have to play games at 30 fps on super low settings to get same temp as him, while he has 60"c" and playing on ultra

thats why im pissed off :S

Don't worry about the Intel HD 4600 driver you don't need it.

And stay away from drivereasy too.

i trust you, i wont buy any program from them i was trying to give an exmaple for a solution or at least something that looks like one XD

i honestly believe that if he can detect his gpu and i cant something is wrong in my bios or settings.

give me 10min to read the TPU manual and figure out what TPU is.

Edited by JohnSmith11, 22 October 2017 - 04:25 PM.

#13 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:25 PM

Dude its 1 power cable and it slide into the PCI slot only 1 way. Just take it out and put it back in, go to youtube and watch a video on GPU install.

I Love Lamp!

#14 JohnSmith11

JohnSmith11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:32 PM

Dude its 1 power cable and it slide into the PCI slot only 1 way. Just take it out and put it back in, go to youtube and watch a video on GPU install.

the 770 is gigantic and i needed to screw in some metal bars so it wont fall off  ...

also i have only 3 fans in my case maybe thats why it gets so hot? my friend has 5 or 6 i think

#15 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 1,949 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:03 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

Some BIOS's automatically disable the CPU's integrated GPU when an external graphics card is detected.  Others don't or have it as a manual setting.  My Gigabyte motherboard allows me to disable it manually via a BIOS option (advanced CPU features, I believe).  I've left it enabled, but it saves a tiny amount of memory if it's disabled.

WixxUpI.jpg

I can assure you the iGPU does nothing when an external graphics card is being used, if a monitor cable is not plugged into it.  No "SLI".  No acting as a co-processor.  I cannot even use it for QuickSync (an accelerated video encoding algorithm supported on Intel iGPU's).  It sits idle.

Edited by jonuk76, 22 October 2017 - 04:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users