Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cable modem with phone jack and built-in wifi.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 onalandline

onalandline

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

There are only a few cable modems out there that have built-in wifi and phone jacks. They are expensive. Does anyone have a suggestion for one? I plan on using it with Comcast (Xfinity) Triple Play service. The two good ones that I have found are an Arris for around $238, and a Netgear one for around $270. Thanks for any input.

Support Our Troops!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,393 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:23 PM

Comcast gives a list of approved modems for that. See Current Manufacturer Offers for XFINITY Internet and XFINITY Voice

One example: ARRIS SURFboard DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem White SB6190 - Best Buy

$109.99

TXrKNWf.png

Edited by buddy215, 21 October 2017 - 06:47 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,877 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:24 PM

Just a guess, you want the phone jack for ?  VOIP?  or a normal configuration would be with the CAT5 connector for Ethernet networks as pictured.

#4 onalandline

onalandline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:15 AM

I'm looking for one with a phone jack. The two I listed in the OP are pretty pricey. I'm surprised there aren't more choices for cable modems with VOIP. The Xfinity website just shows compatible modems with the setup that I have, not the setup that I want. Not very intuitive.

Support Our Troops!

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,393 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:55 AM

In your first post you said you are or will be using Comcast (Xfinity) Triple Play service. I'm assuming you want to avoid monthly rental of their modem

and use your own. If that is not the case...then what exactly are you attempting to do?

In your opening post you gave just the brand names of modems. What were the model numbers? What are they capable of that the one I gave as an

example isn't?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 onalandline

onalandline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:18 AM

In your first post you said you are or will be using Comcast (Xfinity) Triple Play service. I'm assuming you want to avoid monthly rental of their modem

and use your own. If that is not the case...then what exactly are you attempting to do?

In your opening post you gave just the brand names of modems. What were the model numbers? What are they capable of that the one I gave as an

example isn't?

Those examples in my OP were just the ones I found, but they are expensive. I was looking for other suggestions that I may not know about. The one you posted does not have VOIP (no phone jack) capability. Thanks for your input though.

Support Our Troops!

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,393 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

Check this one out: Amazon.com: ARRIS Surfboard Docsis 8X4 Cable Modem / Telephone Certified for XFINITY - Download Speed: 343 Mbps (TM822R): Computers & Accessories   Price: $139.00 & FREE Shipping.

More info: [Equip] Retail Arris TM822G(eMTA) Now Available on Amazon/From Arris - Comcast XFINITY | DSLReports Forums

81R-%2BHj4CtL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by buddy215, 23 October 2017 - 09:51 AM.

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,461 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 11:16 AM

I don't see them online, but when my cable modem died on a holiday weekend I went to Best Buy and picked up one of the Comcast install it yourself packages, it was like $169.  Provided you package is under 343Mbps the modem buddy215 posted should be fine.

Fortunately when recently Comcast bricked that modem with an update I was able to replace with an Internet only option as I dropped TV and phone a long time ago.

No matter what modem you get you will need to call Comcast to get it working.  If replacing their equipment turn it in and then watch your bill to make sure they aren't charging you for it.  If your bill suddenly changes check to see if they added the modem charge back.  Yes, that is experience talking.

#9 onalandline

onalandline
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:26 PM

Thanks for the replies. I'll figure one out.

Support Our Troops!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users