Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alternatives to PluralSight for learning programming for Microsoft 70:480 Cert?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:13 PM

Hi there, I'm working towards getting the MS 480 (Web Developer) cert through a state agency, UMOS Tech Hire, a new department.  Unfortunately, there isn't a coach (although that's her job title) who knows about IT, nor does the director, and they are the only two people.  I don't know who chose the sites for virtual learning, but that's the only option.

They choose the HTML/CSS (first 2 modules) on edX (which is not very good, but at least the site people respond to suggestions and errata), for the "pre-screener" (to see if you're good enough to try for the cert.  For the actual virtual course, they rely on Plural Sight's Code School, with a specific set of courses to complete:  Front-End Foundations, Front-End Formations, CSS Cross Country, Journey into Mobile, etc.  I have already completed those modules, and the pre-screener, over the past 2.5 weeks, and am completely dissatisfied.  I do not feel like I'm learning how to build a program but, rather, how to insert little snippets, and there is no opportunity whatsoever to actually program blocks of code.

Further, there is a great deal of discontinuity from level to level and module to module; the curriculum sucks!  I went to school for programming, and I also understand hardware and some about malware, yet almost none of the coding I've learned thus far is sticking, and sometimes it doesn't really make much sense to me because of the order of presentation of information, etc.

I really need a great site in order to prepare for the 480 cert testing.  Can anyone point me in the right direction so I can let TechHire know and stop wasting my time?

Thanks!

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 21 October 2017 - 04:46 PM

Please don't shoot the messenger. I only did some quick searching and found this. I don't know if it will help. 

http://mrbool.com/course/programming-in-html5-with-javascript-and-css3-exam-70-480-training/421

#3 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:23 PM

Please don't shoot the messenger. I only did some quick searching and found this. I don't know if it will help. 

http://mrbool.com/course/programming-in-html5-with-javascript-and-css3-exam-70-480-training/421

Why would I shoot the messenger?

I mean, I am not really looking for search results; I'm looking for qualified opinions from people in IT who have used IT training sites.  Google isn't exactly the best resource for that...Don't you think?

:)

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,199 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:35 PM

Correct, I don't think a google search was exactly what you were looking for, sorry. I think for best results you may want to ask your question in a developer specific forum if you do not get any further answers on BC. 

#5 RJMass1

RJMass1

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:46 PM

UDEMY is a really good place for training that I have found, they have so many classes for programming and the content is really good. I have taken many classes on there and find it to be credit worthy. 

"The world is a dangerous place, Elliot, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." ~ Mr Robot

#6 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:10 AM

UDEMY is a really good place for training that I have found, they have so many classes for programming and the content is really good. I have taken many classes on there and find it to be credit worthy. 

Do they have any way for me to audit courses to see how good they are?  All I see are $10 classes. :)

Correct, I don't think a google search was exactly what you were looking for, sorry. I think for best results you may want to ask your question in a developer specific forum if you do not get any further answers on BC. 

No worries, John. :)

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#7 RJMass1

RJMass1

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 01:34 PM

Do they have any way for me to audit courses to see how good they are?  All I see are $10 classes. :)

Yes, alot of courses give you free previews into some of the classes and I believe they all have a money back guarantee. I have had a few refunded no questions asked easy peasy.  Read through the reviews, they will help in deciding which instructors and course material is is the best. 

"The world is a dangerous place, Elliot, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." ~ Mr Robot

#8 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 07:12 AM

Yes, alot of courses give you free previews into some of the classes and I believe they all have a money back guarantee. I have had a few refunded no questions asked easy peasy.  Read through the reviews, they will help in deciding which instructors and course material is is the best. 

Ok.  Do you have any suggestions for HTML/CSS for the MS 480 cert?

I took the courses on Codecademy, which was better than Code School in some ways but has less content and wasn't sufficiently better to make much of a difference.

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

#9 RJMass1

RJMass1

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:28 AM

I took the courses on Codecademy, which was better than Code School in some ways but has less content and wasn't sufficiently better to make much of a difference.

The ones specific to the cert do not have great ratings, however two courses that are really good are Build Responsive Real World Websites with HTML5 and CSS3(12 hours) currently $15 and The Web Developer Bootcamp(43hours) currently $15. There is also a free course called Learn HTML5 Programming From Scratch(10.5 hours) and it is a free course, they have several other free courses as well but I thought those would be better for you.

Have you tried the Microsoft Virtual Academy, I know they have some free content as well, might be worth a look into. Hope that helps  :thumbup2:

#10 RevGAM

RevGAM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:45 PM

The ones specific to the cert do not have great ratings, however two courses that are really good are Build Responsive Real World Websites with HTML5 and CSS3(12 hours) currently $15 and The Web Developer Bootcamp(43hours) currently $15. There is also a free course called Learn HTML5 Programming From Scratch(10.5 hours) and it is a free course, they have several other free courses as well but I thought those would be better for you.

Have you tried the Microsoft Virtual Academy, I know they have some free content as well, might be worth a look into. Hope that helps  :thumbup2:

Thanks for the additional info!  I shall pass this along to the agency that is funding me! :)

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users