Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Need Help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jmaxwell

jmaxwell

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 03:05 PM

My computer is seriously screwed up. I know that's not helpful, but... I recently was infected with various adware\spyware. Spy sheriff, and all that other good stuff. I got rid of it- or so i thought- with norton systemworks 2006. Well, lo and behold- my computer is sending out spam apparently. Because norton is dutifully scanning HUNDREDS OF EMAILS!!!! And returning error messages from mail servers, whatever. I don't know. I had to turn off outgoing mail scanning just to get rid of norton's popups. It's so blasted helpful it's killing me! So hopefully someone can help me, please? :thumbsup:

This is really embarassing for me too, cause I claim to know what I'm doing. Plus it's my friends computer- It's not even mine!!! But at least it wasn't me that got it infected. My guess is she went to a warez site...

Edited by jmaxwell, 21 September 2006 - 03:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jmaxwell

jmaxwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 03:38 PM

Okay, basic info. I'm running windows xp home(yuck) with sp2. Norton systemworks 2006 is my new antivirus, used to be runnig trend micro pc-cillan but i got rid of it. I also use ad-aware se, and spybot. I don't know what else to do. so I came here. I run several full system scans, updated everything, and nothing seems to work. I've gotten rid of a bunch of spyware, adware, and dowloaders, but this spam thing is still there, and norton won't detect it. heck, it's helping it!! It's scanning literally hundreds of outgoing emails, and returning error messages from several of them, saying the mail server returned them, they're spam, from a blacklisted account, etc. I can't remember all of them. I had to disable nortons email scanning just so i could connect to the internet. The popups were filling up my entire screen.
Plus, there's a business running on this same network, and I don't want to take any chances.

Edited by jmaxwell, 21 September 2006 - 04:08 PM.

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 05:25 PM

Have you determined that the computer is actually sending out E-mails? A great deal of SPAM will often disguise itself as a mailer-deamon after getting your address from an infected computer it on its hard drive; I presume these messages are being "returned" in the form of an E-mail, and most likely NOT all from Norton. Certainly an list of exact messages would clarify the situation.

I would suggest that you submit a HJT log to our team of volunteer experts; they will analyse the log and perhaps discover malware that has not been cleaned off your computer. The instructions for doing this can be found here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 jmaxwell

jmaxwell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:11 PM

The messages that Norton is returning are regular message boxes titled "Symantec Email Proxy". It says "Your email message was unable to be sent because your mail server rejected the message: 500 Mail appears to be unsolicited -- report errors to posemaster@vroooomhosting.net or call the person you are emailing to add you to their whitelist" All the messages, are similar to this only with different email addresses, some give me the eubject of the email message I supposedly sent out. Titles like: "RE: about software" or "Re: hello". Some error messages say that the message was rejected because of temporarily unavailable resources. I wish I could show you a screenshot of my computer. Is there any way i could do that?

btw, I just posted a hijackthis log :thumbsup:

#5 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 26 September 2006 - 04:32 PM

btw, I just posted a hijackthis log :thumbsup:

Since you have posted a HJT Log, please do not do anything to alter your settings, or make any other changes to your machine until you have been instructed to do so by the HJT Tech assisting you. You run the risk of of negating everything by doing multiple fixes concurrently.

Be (One Repair Step at a time) Safe

Da Bleepin AniMod, Animal

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users