Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

rattling/buzzing noise coming from pc when moving mouse cursor,browsing,VLC,etc.

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 whiteknights

whiteknights

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:44 AM

recently i started to notice annoying unstoppable buzzing/rattling sound coming from my pc. its almost a continuous sound, but it gets noticeably louder and faster when i scroll my mouse up/down, watch a video online or open vlc player, etc..
even if CPU,GPU and memory usages are low the noise is still there.

i think this sound is located near the PSU, so most likely its coming from the PSU (I'm not 100% certain though).
the weird thing that this sound gets noticeably quieter only when i enter the bios. any explanation to that?.

there is also another weird thing.. i guess that noise is gone when i play a high demanding game, I'm not sure though, maybe the fans spinning cover over this sound.

i recently cleaned my computer case with blower, cleaned most of the components except the PSU fan.
my pc Temps are normal on idle and under load, i never had problems through the 4 years when my pc is under load.
i tried disabling C1E, EPR, C6/C3 from the bios, tried to boot from safe mode.. but problem still there.

Motherboard: Gigabyte H61M-S2p
Ram: 8GB
GPU: Sapphire HD 7870 XT 2GB
CPU: Intel i5-3470
HD: WD Blue 1TB
PSU: Thermaltake 500W model TT- 500 NL2NL
Case: Thermaltake commander MS-III
Windows 7 64 bit.

any Help would be appreciated.

Edited by whiteknights, 21 October 2017 - 11:39 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:49 AM

I would suggest seeing if you can isolate just where this noise is coming from.  You mention a PSU, this would mean that this is a desktop... correct?

There is an old mechanics method of finding where noise is coming from in a engine.  This method involves the transmission of sound through a solid material.

This procedure will involve touching the components inside the computer, you will need to touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity in your system.  A 10 volt discharge can kill board components.

You will need to open the case and have the computer running in order to do this.  You will need a long handle wooden or plastic spoon, a handle about one foot long.

If you place the end of the handle on a component, like the PSU, and the spoon end against your ear you will be able to tell if the noise is coming from a specific device.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 whiteknights

whiteknights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:16 PM

I would suggest seeing if you can isolate just where this noise is coming from.  You mention a PSU, this would mean that this is a desktop... correct?

There is an old mechanics method of finding where noise is coming from in a engine.  This method involves the transmission of sound through a solid material.

This procedure will involve touching the components inside the computer, you will need to touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity in your system.  A 10 volt discharge can kill board components.

You will need to open the case and have the computer running in order to do this.  You will need a long handle wooden or plastic spoon, a handle about one foot long.

If you place the end of the handle on a component, like the PSU, and the spoon end against your ear you will be able to tell if the noise is coming from a specific device.

thank you for responding.. yes of course its a Desktop because my PC specs. indicates that its a Desktop as you can see.. and i also mentioned that i cleaned my PC case..

i will try to apply the method you've mentioned.. but I'm 95% sure that the noise is coming from the PSU.. where do you think the noise is coming from due to what i've explained in my post? could a PSU make rattling noises from just scrolling mouse up/down, opening VLC player and watching online videos?

#4 whiteknights

whiteknights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:38 PM

i have another small problem maybe its related and could help.. sometimes when i unplug the power and leave my pc off for a day.. when i turn it on it doesn't beep and restart for a couple of times then it beeps and turn on normally. sometimes also i get black screen when i turn it on and i have to reboot to fix this.
it happens only when i leave my pc off for a long time, but if i turn it off and on right now there won't be a problem. maybe its related to the noise problem?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:43 PM

You need to substantiate that the noise is coming from the PSU. 

If the PSU is making a noise it most likely arcing inside, this is not good.

If you place the spoon against the case of the PSU the noise should be louder there than with other components you have listened to in the same manner then that's where the noise is coming from.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy1.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy3.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

If you place the spoon against the case of the PSU the noise should be louder there than with other components you have listened to in the same manner then that's where the noise is coming from.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

speccy1.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

speccy2.png

speccy3.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 whiteknights

whiteknights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:53 PM

speccy1.png

speccy2.png

speccy3.png

speccy1.png

speccy2.png

speccy3.png

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/xoyy3Ml2Yag8jf6eH8QAlFL

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:09 PM

You do not need to quote my previous posts, it is a waste of bandwidth.

There are a couple of things that need to be looked into.  The hdd S.M.A.R.T. Attributes is indicating a uncorrectable sector count of 1 item.  On top of this you are down to 20GB of free space.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

Once the installation of SeatTools for Windows begins you will see an image similar to the one below.

Cn0u1vP.png

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

irtNzsc.png

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

#8 whiteknights

whiteknights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:53 PM

I'm sorry for quoting and thank you for your helping.. i started the test 2 hours ago and there is no % sign under the test status.. i don't know if its supposed to take a long time, or there is something wrong i did..

PS: when i started the test every time i maximize the SeaTools window the rattling noise disappears for a moment and get replaced by a different kind of noise, like a gas leak noise or whistling or something like that.. don't know if it means something.  

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:57 PM

This scan should not take that long which increases my concern for the health of the C: Drive.

JcJ91sx.pngGSmartControl
Follow the instructions below to test your hard drive health with GSmartControl:

1.  Download GSmartControl and save it on your Desktop.

2.  Extract the content of the GSmartControl .zip archive and execute gsmartcontrol.exe.

3.  Identify your drive in the list, and double-click on it to bring up it's window (usually you'll find your drive by it's size or it's brand name).

4.  Click on the Perform Tests tab, then select Extended Self-test in the Test type drop-down list and click on Execute (this test can take a few hours to complete).

Once the test is over, the results will be displayed at the bottom of the window. Please copy and paste these results in your topic.

Click on the Attributes tab and if you have any entries highlighted in red or pink, copy and paste their name in your next reply (or take a screenshot of the GSmartControl window and attach it in your next reply).

info_failing.png

#10 whiteknights

whiteknights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 03:56 PM

once i choose extended self-test and pressed execute it just took a moment then test completed!
and below beside Test result: "Completed with read failure. check the self -test log for more information."

on the Attributes Tab- Current Pending Sector count : never : 200 - Pink colored.
offline Uncorrectable : never : 200 - Pink colored.

then i performed the test for a second time and this time it took longer, around 15 minutes..
i went to self-test logs and:  1 Extended offline completed with read failure 10%...

pressed on View output and here is what i get:

smartctl 5.43 2012-06-30 r3573 [i686-w64-mingw32-win7(64)-sp1] (sf-5.43-1)
Copyright © 2002-12 by Bruce Allen, http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Western Digital Caviar Blue Serial ATA
Device Model:     WDC WD10EALX-008EA0
Serial Number:    WD-WCATRC080250
LU WWN Device Id: 5 0014ee 2080d97e7
Firmware Version: 05.01D05
User Capacity:    1,000,204,886,016 bytes [1.00 TB]
Sector Size:      512 bytes logical/physical
Device is:        In smartctl database [for details use: -P show]
ATA Version is:   8
ATA Standard is:  Exact ATA specification draft version not indicated
Local Time is:    Sat Oct 21 22:49:15 2017 RTZST
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x82)    Offline data collection activity
                    was completed without error.
                    Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status:      ( 121)    The previous self-test completed having
                    the read element of the test failed.
Total time to complete Offline
data collection:         (15360) seconds.
Offline data collection
capabilities:              (0x7b) SMART execute Offline immediate.
                    Auto Offline data collection on/off support.
                    Suspend Offline collection upon new
                    command.
                    Offline surface scan supported.
                    Self-test supported.
                    Conveyance Self-test supported.
                    Selective Self-test supported.
SMART capabilities:            (0x0003)    Saves SMART data before entering
                    power-saving mode.
                    Supports SMART auto save timer.
Error logging capability:        (0x01)    Error logging supported.
                    General Purpose Logging supported.
Short self-test routine
recommended polling time:      (   2) minutes.
Extended self-test routine
recommended polling time:      ( 178) minutes.
Conveyance self-test routine
recommended polling time:      (   5) minutes.
SCT capabilities:            (0xb037)    SCT Status supported.
                    SCT Feature Control supported.
                    SCT Data Table supported.

SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x002f   200   200   051    Pre-fail  Always       -       2582
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0027   178   174   021    Pre-fail  Always       -       4100
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   098   098   000    Old_age   Always       -       2051
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   200   200   140    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x002e   100   253   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   070   070   000    Old_age   Always       -       22188
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
 11 Calibration_Retry_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   099   099   000    Old_age   Always       -       1999
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       397
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       1653
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   107   090   000    Old_age   Always       -       40
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       1
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0030   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       1
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
200 Multi_Zone_Error_Rate   0x0008   200   200   000    Old_age   Offline      -       1

SMART Error Log Version: 1
No Errors Logged

SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining  LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%     22187         336169
# 2  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%     22187         336169
# 3  Extended offline    Completed: read failure       90%     22187         336169

SMART Selective self-test log data structure revision number 1
 SPAN  MIN_LBA  MAX_LBA  CURRENT_TEST_STATUS
    1        0        0  Not_testing
    2        0        0  Not_testing
    3        0        0  Not_testing
    4        0        0  Not_testing
    5        0        0  Not_testing
Selective self-test flags (0x0):
  After scanning selected spans, do NOT read-scan remainder of disk.
If Selective self-test is pending on power-up, resume after 0 minute delay.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 11:27 AM

The information is not in sequence which makes this difficult to read.  Please do the following.

Open the File Explorer and type gsmartcontrol in the search box in the upper right portion of the page.  A menu will appear similar to the image below, double click on the application which is highlighted in the image below.

Attached File  gsmartcontrol3.PNG   439.63KB   0 downloads

This will open another menu with a list of the drives which can be tested.  Double click on your drive.

xJH90gr.png

You should now see an image similar to the one below.  This shows the pass/fail results of the scan.  Please create a screenshot of this and post it in your topic.

7uhuRAa.png

#12 whiteknights

whiteknights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:00 PM

i removed  my graphics card to boot from on-board video to see if the sound will remain. but after doing that i can't boot anymore. pc starts but no beepin, no post and there a whisling sound. and after a little cleaning, re insalling cmos battery, ram, and re plugging psu cords now it doesnt  even start anymore, its like trying to start but fail then reboot and so on.. i have to unplug the pwer from the wall socket  and plug it again so it can start like it used  to be with no beeping, no post.. please help me identfying the  problem.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 12:36 PM

You are going out on you own and trying things that haven't been asked for.  You have not done what I have requested, like determining where this noise is coming from or the last request for the image of the gsmartcontrol.  This is not only counter productive to advancing a diagnosis it now appears to have created a new problem.  At this point the computer will not boot at all?

#14 whiteknights

whiteknights
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:43 PM

i removed the graphics card before i read your last request, and i've done all what you've asked for except determining where this noise coming from i got little worried, but i used my own method by disconnecting one component at a time, i disconnected hdd and the noise still there with beeping sound. so the noise is a combination between mobo and psu. i didn't know that pc won't boot after removing my graphics card because that normally doesnt happens, right?. and i dont think that i've created a new problem because that rattling sound is related to what happened now, and was just a matter of time for this to happen. but the strange thing that it happened right after i removed my gpu! maybe if i installed it back it will boot again?. if so that doesnt make sense. i'm trying to understand the problem more than finding a soultion. so if you have any explanation i'll be greatful.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:56 PM

Before the computer will boot it goes through the P.O.S.T. (Power On System Test) where it looks at all of the peripheral devices to make sure they are operational, the graphics card is on of those devices.

We need to know if this sound is coming from the PSU.  If this is the PSU you will need to check the rail voltages to see if it is failing.  Truth be told, if I had a PSU that was buzzing I wouldn't even think about it, I would pull it and replace it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users