Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Formatting - Only option is UDF (no NTFS) new Samsung 500gb evo SSD

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Cr125Honda

Cr125Honda

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:05 AM

Probably a simple one for you all but...

I installed a new Samsung 500gb Evo SSD in my PC. (ASUS H170 Pro/i5/16gb ram/Asus 1060 video card/1TB WD blue/Samsung 500gb evo).

Samsung's instructions initializes the disk and installs their cloning software.

Their procedure starts with an external Sata to USB cable, then you install the SSD in the PC with a sata to sata (SSD to motherboard).

I'd like to skip that first step and I don't want to clone the old drive.

Would like to format the disk then do a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro on the SSD.

The BIOS see's the SSD and it shows up in disk manager but it's not formatted.

When I right click to format (in disk manager), the only options are to format in UDF (UDF 2.01 is highlighted automatically).

I'm not familiar with UDF and thought I'd be formatting in NTFS.

Also, NTFS is not an option in the drop down file system menu,

Options are  UDF 1.50, 2.00, 2.01, and 2.50.

Looking for recommendations on what to do?

Ken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:20 AM

What is the model number of this SSD drive?

Louis

#3 Cr125Honda

Cr125Honda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:23 AM

Hi Louis,

Just looked at the box it came in.

under the UPC it reads Model: MZ-75E500 and then Model Code: MZ-75E500B/AM

Also on the box

Samsung SSD 850 EVO and V-NAND SSD 850 EVO

500gb

production date 06/17/2017

Edited by Cr125Honda, 21 October 2017 - 09:29 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:48 AM

OK...that cable you attached with the USB connection...is only for using Samsung software to clone the drive.  Disconnecct it, install the SSD in the same manner that you would install a hard drive...and then install Windows (since you are not going to clone your current O/S...I assume that you plan a clean install of Windows).

The Windows install disk will prompt you for formatting, etc.

I suggest you disconnect any hard drives that are currently installed in your system...and do the clean install with only the new SSD attached.

Louis

#5 Cr125Honda

Cr125Honda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:06 AM

Thanks Louis,

My apologies, I may have described that incorrectly.

That was the procedure Samsung wanted me to do.

I don't have a USB to sata cable.

I originally skipped their instructions and installed the SSD in the computer and hooked it up directly to my motherboard with a sata to sata cable (SSD to motherboard).

Here a pic showing the drive in disk management.

NTFS is not an option when I click the drop down list for UDF options.

SZ5URNi.jpg

#6 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

That says format E: which is showing as your cd rom on the left? The drive above that shows unallocated is that the one you want to format?

And to quote Hamluis "I suggest you disconnect any hard drives that are currently installed in your system...and do the clean install with only the new SSD attached"

That way you won't format the wrong drive by mistake. Been there done that!

Edited by QQQQ, 21 October 2017 - 10:16 AM.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

UDF is an optical disk format.  It is only used for optical disks.  Did Samsung supply a CD which you have in your drive at the moment?  Is your optical drive allocated to drive E:?

As QQQQ says, I suspect your SSD is the disk marked as containing 465 Gb unallocated space in Disk Management.  It won't have a drive letter until it's been initialised, formatted and allocated a drive letter.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 Cr125Honda

Cr125Honda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:54 AM

My mistake..

I had the Samsung install disk in the cd drive.

It's labeled Samsung SSD.  Think they did that just to confuse me...

I removed that CD.

Right clicked on Disk1 unallocated space (guessing that is the actual Samsung SSD) and get the option to create simple volume.

Started clicking through that and it asks to assign a drive letter. C: is not a an option. I realize I have and am using the C; drive now.

The whole purpose of this is to have this as my C: drive and have a fresh win 10 install

Pulled out my Windows install disks and see that I only have an ISO of Win 10. I have the OEM version of Win 7 and did the upgrade while they were offering.

Didn't think this would be that difficult.

Need a bit more detailed advice.

Ken

n5byrqA.jpg

Edited by Cr125Honda, 21 October 2017 - 10:56 AM.

#9 Cr125Honda

Cr125Honda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:09 AM

Will research this but I'm guessing I'm probably going to need - 

to make a bootable Win 10 cd or dvd

insert it in the dvd drive

shut down the PC

open the PC and disconnect my current C: drive (a 1TB WD blue) from the motherboard

reboot and hope the bootable Win 10 in my dvd drive takes over and starts walking me through the process.

IF this is what you all might recommend, should I go through the "New simple drive" procedure first and name the SSD an E;, F;, or G: drive and the rename it C; later?

Edited by Cr125Honda, 21 October 2017 - 11:13 AM.

#10 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 388 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:14 AM

https://www.groovypost.com/howto/create-windows-10-bootable-usb-flash-drive/

Disconnect all other drives except for the new one you want Windows on, boot from USB drive that you create with instructions from above link. When you do this it will give you an option to format the drive before it installs Windows on it. 

If you do not disconnect the other drives before doing this you can easily format the wrong drive, I am not sure if you have data on them that you do not want to lose, I am guessing that you do, never hurts to be extra careful.

Edited by QQQQ, 21 October 2017 - 11:15 AM.

#11 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

Will research this but I'm guessing I'm probably going to need - 

to make a bootable Win 10 cd or dvd

insert it in the dvd drive

shut down the PC

open the PC and disconnect my current C: drive (a 1TB WD blue) from the motherboard

reboot and hope the bootable Win 10 in my dvd drive takes over and starts walking me through the process.

If that is what you all might recommend, should I go through the "New simple drive" procedure first and name the SSD an E;, F;, or G: drive and the rename it C; later?

That is correct.  I do suggest downloading the latest build of Windows 10 (Creators Update).  This will save a lot of updates post install vs installing an old version.  You can either use the Media Creation Tool to automate making a bootable USB or DVD, or you can download a vanilla .iso file and use other tools to write the media.  I always prefer USB install if available. It's faster than DVD.

I agree that temporarily removing your existing drive during the install process is best, it will avoid the possibility of accidentally doing anything other than installing the OS to the new SSD.

As for the last part of your question, it doesn't really matter. The Windows 10 installer, during a fresh install, will repartition the disk in any case.  It will work just fine with an uninitialised, unformatted disk as the installer has the tools to prepare the disk for use.  As you'll see in the Disk Management shot above, the installer adds additional system partitions.

Edited by jonuk76, 21 October 2017 - 11:23 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#12 Cr125Honda

Cr125Honda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:22 AM

Perfect.. Thank you both so much.

Will follow those instructions and do all of that later today or this evening.

Time for me to enjoy the day & walk away from the computer for a little bit.

Edited by Cr125Honda, 21 October 2017 - 11:24 AM.

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 21 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

You can use the Media Creation Tool to create Windows 10 installation media for a disc or flash drive to install Windows 10.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

Follow the instructions there to create your installation media.

Which ever installation media you use you will need to boot into Safe Mode and change the boot order to reflect the media type you use.  Example:  first device in the boot order DVD-ROM, second device ssd/hdd.  Or USB device as first boot device, ssd/hdd the second boot device in the boot order.

Press F10 to save these changes and exit (Esc) the BIOS.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#14 Cr125Honda

Cr125Honda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:51 AM

Followed the instructions above. Loaded Windows 10 (Creators Update) on a USB, and I'm up and running.

The OS (Win 10), Photoshop 14 and it's catalog of pics (55gb), and MS Word and Excel are on the disk so far.

Will be loading the rest of the programs on the disk now over the next few days.

Followup questions will be more software related so I'm thinking it will be better to start them in a different forum.

Thanks to everyone for their help so far!

Ken

AQYFxAj.jpg

Edited by Cr125Honda, 22 October 2017 - 12:01 PM.

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:58 AM

There is important information in this topic that will help others understand how this topic got to this point.  I would not open another topic since this information is specific to the current topic.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users