Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Get Linux to Recognize Action Camera

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:42 AM

I have a Xi 4k+ action camera. I am trying to download the videos to

Sony Vaio, vpcf1390x

500 GB ROM

6 GB RAM

Linux 17.2

My machine used to recognize and open this camera but after I reinstalled, something was different.

I don't know if there were files that permitted access that I had to move to backup.

Now I get a message that the volume cannot be opened. It mentions exfat.

I installed a program from Software Mgr, then says it can manage exfat files (digikam) but it either will not launch or says it cannot "initialize" my camera volume.

Any pointers appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 23 October 2017 - 04:41 PM

My immediate reaction would be to take the microSD card out and using either a card reader or a microSD to SD adapter connect it directly to a different computer if only to make sure that there are readable files on it. On a personal note I have never been a fan of connecting cameras by cable to read the memory as it tends to be slower and use quite a lot of camera battery power, but that is a purely personal opinion.

According to the specs for this camera it records video as MP4 type files so I would not expect the memory to formatted as exfat, rather to be FAT32 or NTFS, most probably FAT32, and Linux has no problem reading MP4 type files saved on a FAT32 formatted memory card.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,030 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 09:40 AM

Did your machine used to recognise the camera as a "device," or were you able to mount the memory card's file system to Linux Mint's file system?

If connecting the camera by cable, you might find it uses PTP.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Picture_Transfer_Protocol

If that is the case, you will not be able to mount the memory card's file system, while it's in the camera. Therefore by far the easiest thing to do is what Chris suggested above; remove the card from the camera and connect it to your computer directly.

Edited by Al1000, 24 October 2017 - 09:40 AM.

#4 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:42 AM

My memory is hazy on the SD card but I don't think it worked before when a direct cable usb link did work.

The SD card method does not work now either.

It's difficult to include screenshots on this site, otherwise I would have shown the message I get from linux saying it could not mount because of something to do with exfat.

I first installed an exfat program called exfat-utils from the repository.  It did not work

Then I installed "exfat-fuse". Now the camera mounts.

Yes, the video files are mp4. I cannot explain this anomaly.

I have not checked yet but perhaps this will also correct the problem with the SD card???

Edited by Achaemenid, 25 October 2017 - 05:43 AM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,098 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 05:04 PM

Before you go any further, if these videos are important to you, can I suggest copying the files off the card to some other storage just in case you damage them with your efforts to copy them to your own computer. Use someone else's computer if necessary.

To add screenshots to this forum click on the 'More reply options' button at the bottom right of the 'Reply' box. You will then see an extension at the bottom of the box you are typing in. Having saved your screenshot, click 'Browse', select the image file then click 'Attach this file'. You will then see a line listing your file with a button at the end 'Add to post'. Click this and a place holder for the image - its filename - will appear. When you finish your post the image will appear in your post.

Attached File  Replying.PNG   6.32KB   0 downloads

This is not available in all of BC's sections but is available in - I think ! - all the OS sections.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2017 - 04:04 AM

Barring any more surprises I think this thread can be closed because the problem was solved when I found exfat-for-fuse software in the linux repository.

That with exfat-utils seems to work.

Thanks to Chris Cosgrove and AT1000

Edited by Achaemenid, 29 October 2017 - 04:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users