Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hp Pavillion Slimline

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 percypape

percypape

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:33 PM

Anybody know anything about HP Slimline desktops? (mine's an s7220n 512RAM)
When I opened mine up to clean it, I was amazed at the crowded conditions inside! I'm worried that this could be condusive to heating up too quickly & who knows what else. I know this type of computer can't handle a whole lot of action and I wonder if maybe I shouldn't be using it as a stereo all the time. It seems like playing music makes it hotter than other types of applications. It's the only thing that makes it restart unexpectedly but perhaps that's an issue with WMP? I tried to download the program that warns you when your temperature is dangerous but it wouldn't work. I'm sure the computer feeling hot is normal to some extent as is being paranoid about its health but is this cool to make a pc that miniscule?
Could it be that this pc was meant to be used for word processing and anything more obliterates it?
The hard drive lasted all of 6 months...
Then today I had my first run-in with a page file problem. Even if I wanted to get more RAM I'm not sure if I could because the one limitation I AM clear on is the lack of upgradability (I saw zero card slots inside).
If anyone has info on these teeny tiny desktops I would be interested in your input.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 September 2006 - 06:24 AM

You can see the specs for you MB here:
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/documen...cname=c00503102

It will support 1 stick of RAM but up to 1GB:

* 1 x 240-pin DDR2 DIMM socket for up to 1 GB non-ECC DDR2 533/400 SDRAM
* Maximum HP/Compaq approved memory is 1 GB

Your page file should be 1 and 1/2 times the installed Ram and a little larger if you use resourse intensive aps, up to 3x the amount of ram.

Keep the inside clean and keep it in a well ventilated area (not in an enclosed cabinet) and you should be ok, including playing music.

How to configure paging files for optimization and recovery in Windows XP MS
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314482/en-us

You can swap out your ran with a 1GB stick (non-ECC DDR2 533/400 SDRAM) and make your page file 2mb to start with and larger if you still run out of resources.

Edited by Enthusiast, 22 September 2006 - 06:31 AM.

#3 percypape

percypape
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 04:22 PM

Thank you!!!! Very helpful indeed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users