Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8.1 read only $recycle.bin and crashing anti virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 nomes17

nomes17

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:43 PM

Hi =) I am running windows 8.1 on a Gigabyte laptop. A few weeks back avg free crashed and I was unable to repair it. I ran malwarebytes and hitman pro at the time and found nothing. I moved to avast free but a couple of days back that crashed too. I have had periodic issues during this time with files in documents and the desktop becoming read only. I have managed to get around this through taking ownership. In the last week or so I had some problems with a recycle bin error message which appears to have been rectified using rd on the command line.

During the last two weeks I have tried to remove the legacy AVG files using AVG remover with no luck. It would not run. I then tried AVG clear a couple of days back and the computer couldn't restart - it was stuck in a repair loop. After a couple of days of research I am back on line having backed up documents to an external hard drive. I am now running Bitdefender which isn't finding anything. I ran RKill this morning which didn't turn up anything either. I have deleted the AVG folder from the program files (x86) directory this morning which appears to have been a success and emptied the recycle bin. 

I am concerned that something nasty has cloaked itself in the antivirus. When I searched the computer on *AVG*  a couple of days back I noticed avg files buried deep in folder structures in the app data folder. When I restart the computer I am getting notifications that a few programs (go pro importer and the like) can't start. 

Any advice you can offer on figuring out if it is the hard drive slowly dying or an infection would be great.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,569 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 PM

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:06 AM

Hello lets post a new topic.. Do steps 6 and 7.

Please follow this Preparation Guide and post in a new topic.
Let me know if all went well..
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users