Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Most Aesthetic, Stable and, Feature Rich Puppy Linux Distribution?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jonathanmrk

jonathanmrk

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:58 PM

What is the Most Aesthetic, Stable, and Feature Rich Puppy Linux Distribution? (32bit, P4, 2GB RAM, 4GB USB)

Edited by jonathanmrk, 20 October 2017 - 09:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,659 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:22 PM

I don't know much about puppy but have used Tahrpup 6.0.5 and it was the best for me and would meet your suggestions.  HERE is the download link, just scroll down until you see the Downloads.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 jonathanmrk

jonathanmrk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:10 AM

I have it on a USB. Can I make it more pleasing with some add ons? Is Carolina 1.3 a stable release?

Edited by jonathanmrk, 21 October 2017 - 12:19 AM.

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 2,789 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 PM

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:43 AM

Well keep in mind the goal of puppy is to be lightweight and doesnt really focus on the aesthetics.

Also Carolina isnt updated and is out of date.

I will let our resident puppy expert take it from here as puppy is out of my scope.

Mike_Walsh its your turn

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 October 2017 - 02:02 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:21 AM

Hallo, jonathanmrk.

Mm....well, now. I would agree with pcpunk on this one; Tahr 6.0.5 is certainly the most stable, supported long-term release in the 'kennels'. There are newer Pups, but many are still in the 'buggy', still-being-developed phase.

Define 'aesthetically-pleasing'. What exactly d'you want to achieve with your Pup?

Just as an illustration; 'standard' Tahrpup (which you're doubtless familiar with):-

3YU2AER.png

.....and my personal, current Tahr desktop. It's not as good as some of my other Pups, but it is what it is:-

eehfnoB.png

If you want to see some of my others, have a look through the 'Show us your Linux desktop' thread:-

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/592994/show-us-your-linux-desktop/

Tahr was the first Pup that really worked OOTB for me.....all of 3 years ago now. I do all my own customizations, since I've had an interest in graphic design for ages.

On the right you've got the gKrellM system monitor. Above that are items from the pWidgets desktop widgets set. The icons are my own rather eclectic selection, culled from hundreds of web searches over the years. Backgrounds are almost always culled from Google or Duckduckgo, and modified to suit what I'm trying to achieve....usually with Mooi's PhotoScape running under WINE.

(I used it for ages in XP, and got so handy with it that it was a nice surprise to discover it could be run in Linux using the WINE Windows emulation environment.)

If you let us know what you want to do, perhaps we can make some suggestions...

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 21 October 2017 - 03:01 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 jonathanmrk

jonathanmrk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 08:34 AM

Your set up is amazing and thanks for the long reply. I certainly have to have a look at all these plugins you mentioned. I was initially impressed with this distribution titled Saluki but its no longer being developped. Is there any stable distro that resemble this striking looks of Saluki?

At least how can I achieve something like this with my current instalation?

http://smokey01.com/saluki/Screenshot-3.jpg

Wallpaper and that monitoring and time and date plugins. I know I cannot make my icons look Mac-like with my present set up.

Edited by jonathanmrk, 21 October 2017 - 08:43 AM.

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,283 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:38 PM

Hi again, Johnathan.

Mm..! Well, that's wbar at the bottom. Originally used in the Enlightenment desktop environment, but it runs quite happily in JWM. Go to the following link (the Puppy 'Wikka'), and this page has links for the necessary .pets and how to set it up:-

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/WbarInstall

As for the stuff in the centre of the screen, that's what's known as Conky. Conky is a system monitor type of thing, but you can play around with it for ever.....and achieve some pretty amazing effects with it! But beware; it can become addictive.....  :lol:

I fancy this may be what you're looking for:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=72815

You can find configuration files for different Conky setups all over the 'net, if you search for them.....but take heed of battleshooter's warnings about the need to change paths in Puppy, in order to get these to work.

pWidgets (which I mentioned above) uses a pre-configured 'mini-Conky'. You can find the latest version, packed by our very own zigbert, here:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=35601

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you're using Tahr, my own package of gKrellM will 'fit the bill' quite nicely. Find it here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/kbb9dyl9o7xudd2/gkrellm-2.3.5.pet

If you want extra themes for gKrellM, have a look here:-

http://www.muhri.net/gkrellm/nav.php3?node=gkrellmall&sort=name

Muhri.net has tons of themes for gKrellM. Click on the ones you fancy to download 'em. You'll need to extract the tar.gz package, then when you've done that, the resulting directory needs to be placed in the gKrellM config directory, under 'themes'.

(You'll find this is a 'hidden' folder in /root. Click on the 'eye' icon, and the hidden folders will show up. You're looking for .gkrellm2; open this, and the 'themes' directory is inside.)

To give you a start, I've turned my current selection of themes into a .pet package. You can find it here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/pz2jprezv8eqy8b/gKrellM-themes.pet

Just click to install! Then right-click on gKrellM's top bar, and select 'Themes'....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You may also fancy changing the desktop drive icons, bottom left of the screen. I got fed up with staring at the same ones day after day, so I put some packages together to alter the appearance. You can find them in this Puppy forum thread:-

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=928224#928224

And as for backgrounds? Just search the desktop-wallpaper sites (there's hundreds of them!); you can like as not find something to fit your screen resolution. Or if you're feeling up to it, find something you like, then turn it into your own background (crop and/or resize). Desktop wallpapers go in the /usr/share/backgrounds directory, then you can select 'em with the wallpaper 'chooser' in Menu->Desktop...

That little lot should give you something to chew on for a while.....!!  :lol:  Have fun.

Mike.  :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 21 October 2017 - 06:06 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#8 rufwoof

rufwoof

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:15 PM

Unix philosophy is to individually do small things well. So over time there are numerous smaller things to choose from to build whatever you desire.

Any desktop can be tweaked/changed equally across all Linux/Unix versions. I for instance have similar desktops across each of OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Puppy and Debian as I tend to prefer using the same components within each (Xorg with jwm and pcmanfm --desktop).

That said I've just installed Debian Stretch and have opted for LXDE, but my choice of desktop layout is nothing like the default desktop layout.

image.png

gkrellm can work as well as Conky. For instance you can run multiple copies of gkrellm and perhaps restrict one to being just a large Date/time that you place somewhere on the screen, another to perhaps show CPU usage that you place elsewhere ...etc.

I for instance have three, that I've sized and placed in the top left of the screen so that they blend in with the panel/tray (that I reduced in width to accommodate). I also have two undecorated xterm's with one showing htop sized such that only part of htop output is seen, and another that by default loads up mc with one pane showing my bin folder (scripts) and the other showing my Docs folder ... so on bootup I can click on a script or document from the get-go. Mouse over one of those xterm windows and alt-enter toggles it to full screen (alt-enter to untoggle it back to its default size again). Along with strategic positioning of desktop icons or tray buttons for programs you use regularly and you'll be pleased with the setup.

Pleasing is a personal matter. The trick is to learn what packages are available and then let your artistic side steer you to creating a layout that is pleasing to you.

Debian and OpenBSD multiboot's

#9 jonathanmrk

jonathanmrk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 03:23 AM

Thanks for all for these detailed replies and taking time for answering. I will certainly have a look at them all as time permits. Again, thanks for all. Have a nice weekend!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users