Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Would you Build this PC?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jimmyRunner

jimmyRunner

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:45 PM

My laptops getting old and so are my kid's computers (Most of them are out of the house)

I’ve decided to build this pc that sits in the basement and I don't have to tend to it very often.

I want to set this pc up so that my kids or myself can log into at any time. “I'll just call it an External computer”

The way I would like it to operate is:

We are still able to login to our old laptops but instead of using our old laptops memory, processes and hard drives we're about to use the newer higher powered external computer.

Log in to it somehow like VPN, Remote Desktop, Create a website for log in virtual pc. I'm never really had much luck with using a virtual pc or desktop, but that was a number of years back.

I've decided to build a pc with the parts below. I started out just looking to add an external hard drive but ended up trying some and I really need some input and guidance.

Base OS and Applications

1. Microsoft Office 356 Pro
  2. Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

Can this be down?

• Will each user has their own profile?
  • Will I need to buy additional operating systems?
  • Sharing software?
  • Should I partition the drive into 4 sections? At times, I like to remain anonymous

• AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
  • ARCTIC - Alpine 64 GT 25.6 CFM CPU Cooler
  • Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-D3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
  • G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-3000
  • Seagate - Constellation ES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard
  • Toshiba - X300 5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
  • Gigabyte - GeForce GT 610 2GB Video Card
  • Fractal Design - Focus G Mini (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case
  • EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
  • Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
  • Asus - Xonar DG 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card
  • Intel - E1G42ETBLK PCI-Express x4 10/100/1000 Mbps Network Adapter
  • Asus - USB-AC56 USB 3.0 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter
  • Noctua - NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan
  • Kingwin - FPX-001 Fan Controller
  • CyberPower - AVRG750U UPS

1. Microsoft Office 356 Pro
  2. Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

forgot the Thermal Paste. but I'll pick some up

What am I missing or need to add

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:04 PM

If the plan it to have this machine be used remotely use the on board video and don't bother with a video card.  The video will only come into play when logged in locally.

Why are you adding a network adapter when there is one on the motherboard?

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,311 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:08 PM

There are some more questions you need to answer like do you need access from many different locations and do you need multiple users to use that computer same time. I let others to solve this software problem and concentrate on hardware part.

AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor
ARCTIC - Alpine 64 GT 25.6 CFM CPU Cooler
Gigabyte - GA-AB350M-D3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-3000
Seagate - Constellation ES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard
Toshiba - X300 5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Gigabyte - GeForce GT 610 2GB Video Card
Fractal Design - Focus G Mini (Black) MicroATX Mini Tower Case
EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Asus - Xonar DG 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card
Intel - E1G42ETBLK PCI-Express x4 10/100/1000 Mbps Network Adapter
Asus - USB-AC56 USB 3.0 802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi-Fi Adapter
Noctua - NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan
Kingwin - FPX-001 Fan Controller
CyberPower - AVRG750U UPS

Looks basically OK but you are missing SSD, you don't need that Alpine CPU cooler as CPU comes with decent one and even 450W PSU has enough watts to run two machines like that. CPU (+cooler) comes with thermal paste too.

That PCI Express x4 network adapter looks also bit overkill.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 20 October 2017 - 03:09 PM.

#4 jimmyRunner

jimmyRunner
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 AM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:43 PM

Great questions..

I bought the extra video card as backup.
I was and still am completely in the air with how this whole project is going to roll out,

I went with adding an upgraded video card.

Hopefully, now that I have you guys helping I can make this project work. 
So, for now, we're going to set the other video card off on the side and work with the on-board video

The second network adapter was an upgrade from the one on the motherboard. but if you don't think it's going to add much to what we'll be needing we can set that off to the said for now also

SSD, nice caught. I was assuming that would just be part of the hard drive. I'll get that.

I was always told not to skimp on the power, but If you say the 450w will do the job. Alpine will be set aside

Including myself that will be at the home base, I have 4 others kids two in the same state as me and two 1000 miles away.  Keep coming with the software ideas. This is a big part and I can use everyone's ideas, 

I'll wait to hear back before I start putting the motherboard together 

#5 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:43 AM

You need to go to youtube and watch a few video's. Then grab an old computer that works, take it totally apart and put it back together. See how that goes before you decide to sink real hard cash it parts you could damage by mishandling or installing incorrect.

It sounds like you have never even opened a computer or bought parts for one. You don't need a backup GPU.......also you said you want to have multiple users and multiple partitions.....why????

There is no need for this at all, just create the user account you need and use a microsoft account for each user and encrypt your files. Then get TunnelBear and be as secure and safe as ever when surfing the web.

Also, use PrivaZer and Tor Browser. 

Office would work for up to 5 accounts on one computer.

As for the virtual desktop idea you would need Thin clients and multiple virtual pc's running on that pc and it's not good enough for that.

You would need 32GB of RAM and I would highly recommend 3x 525GB RAID 5 SSD setup as well as the PSU is WAY WAY overkill.

For large media files a WD Gold drive is what I would use, 4TB.

Then you would need multiple Windows 10 license 1 for each virtual machine.

This is too big of a project for someone who is a novice or never touched a computer.

At minimum you need a good consultation.

I Love Lamp!

#6 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:50 AM

This seems a very unusual setup for home use.  Yes there is software that will provide a desktop remotely. I understand Virtualbox can be set up for remote access, although I'm unsure about multiple instances of it being accessed simultaneously.  Really things like VMWare Horizon is designed for this but it's enterprise software and don't expect it to be cheap (couple of thousand $ at least).  Add in cost of Windows license for each instance required.

If it's simply that you collaborate on work (for example) and need to share files then there's other ways to go about it, like the cloud solutions mentioned already.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users