Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No internet connection tcpipreg.sys not starting tried lots of things

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Syntractrix

Syntractrix

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:21 PM

Alright so before we begin this I just want to get something out of the way: I'm not a casual computer user (we can get into advanced stuff)

Right, so I was optimizing my computers dpc latency and decided to disable / delete the tcpip.sys driver.

(Lets just say I deleted the registry values of it and everything associated with it silly me haha)

I've restored all the files but there was no internet connection, I added the registry keys / values but it still didn't work the tcpip.sys starts but not the tcpipreg.sys not quite sure why.

I ran the sfc /scannow but it couldnt fix the problem it kept giving the exact same message "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of themno biggie since its only because of the tcpipreg.sys the log states:

"CSI    000000ec Hashes for file member \??\C:\Windows\System32\drivers\tcpipreg.sys do not match actual file [l:24{12}]"tcpipreg.sys""

"CSI    000002fb [SR] Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:62{31}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32\drivers"\[l:24{12}]"tcpipreg.sys" from store"

here are my services: 

651XECf.png

the tcpipreg.sys error: 

jKyrjRN.png

tcpipreg.sys registry values:

OEy63QM.png

By the way i've tried something with dism but it just didnt work the commands werent recognised 

These are the following commands that i've tried: 

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

DISM /Online /Cleanup-image /RestoreHealth

but unfortunately you need internet connection for dism to work (in my case the internet connection is not working)

Edited by Syntractrix, 20 October 2017 - 02:25 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:29 PM

Did you reset TCP/IP using the netsh command?

#3 Syntractrix

Syntractrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:37 PM

Yes I did

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:57 PM

I'm not sure it will work but did you uninstall the TCP/IP protocol for the adapter and try a reinstall?

Windows Repair has a Network Repair. Download the portable version to a flash drive and only check Network Repair. If that doesn't work then I think you are looking at a reinstall.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/windows-repair-all-in-one/

If you have a Windows Install disk use the offline method of sfc /scannow. Part 2

http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/run-sfc-offline-windows-7-vista/

If you don't have an install disk you can download the iso on another computer using this tool and burn it.

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,286 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:39 AM

This problem sounds like a self inflicted wound - maybe you can recover.

The simplest thing would be to restore your system to a date/time prior to this tampering.  What happens when you do that?

How did you determine that there was a DPC latency issue and why did you think that deleting the tcpip.sys driver would resolve the problem?

Instead of deleting system files it is wiser to rename them so they become "missing" and then you can undo things by renaming them back

Did you delete tcpip.sys tcpipreg.sys, both or something else you will describe.

Deleting the tcpip.sys or the tcpipreg.sys file(s) would require extra effort since they are protected files so describe how you accomplished that.

Specifically which files did you delete?

Describe how you restored the files you deleted - you made backup copies, from some other system, etc.

If you deleted things from the registry describe how you restored the things in the registry you deleted.

How certain are you that you didn't have an SFC problem before you started?

Why do you think this is no biggie:

"CSI    000000ec Hashes for file member \??\C:\Windows\System32\drivers\tcpipreg.sys do not match actual file [l:24{12}]"tcpipreg.sys""

"CSI    000002fb [SR] Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:62{31}]"\??\C:\Windows\System32\drivers"\[l:24{12}]"tcpipreg.sys" from store"

It looks like when you replaced the file you somehow deleted you replaced it with some wrong version (another reason to rename files instead of deleting files).

I deleted my tcpipreg.sys file on purpose (which will generate a different error when trying to start the service) and when I ran SFC the repair was queued requiring a reboot of the system...  then the tcpipreg.sys file was replaced.  You checked that, right?

Now your SFC runs fine and finds no integrity violations, right?

My system still connects to the Internet even if I manually stop the tcpipreg Service from a command prompt.  Hmmm...  perhaps you have something else wrong too.

Why do you think the DISM command require an Internet connection and why do you think that will help?

What happens when you run the first DISM command - what does "weren't recognized" mean?

Your first DISM command runs fine for me after I pull my wireless adapter and the second DISM command (in spite of it's popularity) is not valid for Windows 7 - maybe someday people will stop suggesting it without actually trying it themselves:

What is your Windows Edition (Home, Pro, etc.) and architecture (32 or 64-bit) so if you would like to replace one or more of your suspicious files I can extract them from an installation ISO and you can download them.

From your Command Prompt window issue the following commands one at a time pressing the Enter key after each and post a screenshot of the results:

sc  qc  tcpip

sc  qc  tcpipreg

sc  query  tcpip

sc  query  tcpipreg

Here is what mine looks like:

Edited by joseibarra, 21 October 2017 - 03:01 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 Syntractrix

Syntractrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 10:08 AM

Hey yesterday I was extremely tired and it was super late I was without 40 hours of sleep so with that out of the way lets being

Right so I don't actually have a system restore set-up

I'm 100% certain that I didn't have any sfc problems before

I didn't actually intend to delete any files I took the ownership of tcpip.sys moved it out of the folder and placed it into a different directory which was my hdd somehow after that I accidentally managed to delete all of its registry keys and values with a program called processhacker I remember pressing delete and it was gone before I knew it

It wasn't actually a DPC problem itself I was testing out things for the sake of it I was curious what was the lowest latency I could achieve, I remember when trying to stop tcpip.sys from device manager it had a lot of dependencies tied to it, after stopping them from services.msc and processhacker I still couldnt stop it so the only way was to move it out of the folder.

my system was rock stable and super snappy:

YKNX19.jpg

My windows are 64bit: 

900x900px-LL-3346679e_aaaa.png

I restored the registry values by using another ssd that had the same windows installation but it was stable and working perfectly I exported the registry values copied them to hdd and imported them when I hooked up my new ssd

By the way I don't actually receive the tcpipreg.sys mismatching hash error after numerous attempts of different fixing ways

Also I've tried the things that JohnC_21 suggested but they didn't do any good the sfc /scannow in recovery mode kept displaying the same error which is (Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them)but in the logs the tcpipreg.sys error stopped persisting

The dism part was nonsense from me I was really sleepy and I didnt know what to add so I just typed it for the sake of starting this thread although the dism tool tends to fix a lot of problems with windows installations that cant be fixed through sfc /scannow

Im actually quite confident that this problem can be solved since the network area shows that Im connected to the internet (but still cant browse or connect to anything lol) 

OCMbmLG.pngFix-Server-DNS-address-could-not-be-foun

picked this photo because I forgot to take a screenshot of the error in action

It used to show as this:

xsfYLe3.pngNJzayma.png

Ive tried the following commands:

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /renew

netsh winsock reset (again)

netsh int ip reset

and manually changing my dns servers through the network properties but with no luck I still cant browse the internet im thinking that this is caused by some system drivers again

here is the 

sc  qc  tcpip

sc  qc  tcpipreg

sc  query  tcpip

sc  query  tcpipreg

commands ran through my computer:

Qt2Gxhi.png

But as you report with tcpipreg disabled you can still connect to the internet and I think that the problem lays not in the driver itself

It would be nice to have a list of all the system drivers required for network access Im sure that after verifying all of them I could for sure connect to the internet

Here are all of the services that are currently running on my system:
mIXBHIj.pngCfJzqUM.pngSdxTsTF.png

Edited by Syntractrix, 21 October 2017 - 10:10 AM.

#7 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 AM

Posted 21 October 2017 - 12:29 PM

1. In Control Panel --> Network and Sharing Center --> Change Adapter Settings

2. Right-click Local Area Connection, and then select Properties.

3. On the General tab, click Install, select Protocol, and then click Add.

4. In the Select Network Protocols window, click Have Disk.

5. In the Copy manufacturer's files from: text box, type c:\windows\inf, and then click OK.

6. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click OK.

7. Restart your computer.

Posted Image

#8 Syntractrix

Syntractrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:31 PM

Do I add the first two ones? because I already had them installed

Oc5OdSq.png

--

A7Jh7ha.png

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:52 PM

In regards to the registry Windows 7 creates an automatic backup of the registry a intervals. The location is Windows/System32/config/Regback. Are the dates of the registry hives before the problem? If yes you can copy the files from Regback to config but it requires a bootable Windows 7 disk or something like a live linux disk. You have already restored the registry from the HDD but just wanted to point out another location of registry hives if you do not have system restore enabled. 

If you have a SSD with the same windows setup that works why not clone the SSD back to the HDD.

#10 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

Install both protocols.

Posted Image

#11 Syntractrix

Syntractrix
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:35 PM

After installing both of the protocols the issue still persists and every single one of the files in Windows/System32/config/Regback have 0 bytes in them but the dates are before the problem

#12 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

If you haven't you should use System Restore tool to restore your computer to date when computer was working.

You can also use Shadow Explorer program to extract working copy of registry hives.

Posted Image

#13 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,286 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:36 PM

So you really have several of problems...  which if they were working efore you started this would be much easier.

System Restore is not working and it should be unless you intentionally disabled it for some reason (some folks do).

Windows 7 has a Scheduled Task that backs up the registry every 10 days and that doesn't sound like it is working and what other of the 75 or so Windows STs are not working - and why not?

Your sfc /scannow has errors it can't seem to fix.

Why in your network settings properties are you messing with DNS servers - that stuff is usually empty:

From your command prompt enter these commands and post a screenshot being sure to include the space after the equals sign for the first command:

sc  config  tcpipreg  start= auto

net  start  tcpipreg

Here's what mine looks like:

Edited by joseibarra, 21 October 2017 - 06:14 PM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,657 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 05:52 PM

Perhaps you already discovered that there is no c:\windows\inf folder in Windows 7 (there is in XP).

It is on my Windows 7 computer.

Attached Files

• Attached File  10.JPG   14.61KB   0 downloads

Edited by JohnC_21, 21 October 2017 - 05:53 PM.

#15 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,286 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 06:12 PM

You're right - I was thinking of another problem so I will remove that part.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users