Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reconfiguring new build

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cr125Honda

Cr125Honda

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:12 PM

Looking for advice and/or feedback on re-configuring my computer.

Initially, I was going to just have a 500gb SSD and a 1 TB spinning HD for backup.

Remembered I have a 120gb SSD that I'm not using.

So...  thought I'd add both SSD drives. - 1 ea. Samsung 500gb Evo and 1 ea. Silicon Power 120gb.

Tech specs say they both read and write at about the same rate.

Thought I would install the OS (Windows 10 pro) and all programs on the 120gb and all data on the 500gb and finally use the spinning 1TB to backup data.

Probably the biggest resource user I have is Photoshop Elements 14. Currently the photo catalog is about 55gb.

I'm still researching whether I can load the PS14 program on the 120 SSD and have all the catalog of pictures on the Samsung 500.

I think I tried that before and the PS14 program wanted the catalog of pics to be on the same drive that the program is on.

Jury still out on that..

I built the system last year.

ASUS H170 Pro Motherboard

Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000

Intel Core i5-6500 Skylake Quad-Core 3.2 GHz and Be-Quiet! Pure Rock Slim CPU Cooler

ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB Dual-fan OC Edition VR Ready

WD Blue 1TB SATA (WD10EZEX)

ASUS 24X DVD Burner

Thermaltake Smart Series 500W Power Supply

Hopefully, Microsoft won't make an issue and give me another serial number key if needed when I do a fresh Win 10 install.

Thanks, Ken

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:16 AM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

I would buy M.2 SSD, put Windows and programs there. 120GB I would use for scratch disk (put Windows temp folder there).

You don't need new Windows 10 product key.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,413 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:09 PM

I'd recommend against using the 120GB drive for your boot and program drive.  I've found that 120GB is okay for web browsing and documents, but if you start installing a lot of software it is just too small and you are almost forced to move your User profile storage to another drive.  Save yourself a lot of time and trouble and use the 500GB drive as your boot drive, install your programs, and save your data.  There is no need for you to suffer so that the 120GB drive is used.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:23 PM

I agree.

Initially (my first SSD) I installed XP and Win 7 on a 60GB SSD...just to see if they would function properly on so small a drive.  Eventually, I bought a 240GB SSD and currently triple-boot XP, Win 7, and Win 10 on it.  Since you already have the 500GB SSD...use it and forget about the 120GB.  If you have a backup or second system, you could use the 120 as the boot drive in it (that's what I do).

Louis

#5 Cr125Honda

Cr125Honda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:22 PM

Thanks everyone.

Looks like the survey says everything goes on the 500gb.

Will do that and decide what to do with the 120gb and 1TB.

Don't have another system that needs either one. Will probably install them both for backups.

#6 Cr125Honda

Cr125Honda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:14 PM

Have a question on formatting the SSD. Will start the new subject in a different thread.

Edited by Cr125Honda, 21 October 2017 - 08:44 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users