Jump to content


 


Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.


Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connected, Difficulty Connecting to Specific Websites/Games


  • Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 DefeatedByMediacom

DefeatedByMediacom

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:35 AM

TL;DR:

Rocket League would not connect to server. Uplay would not connect to server. Reinstalled Windows to solve the problem. Problem returned. Rocket League would not connect to server. Then no browser could reach a few specific URLs, always giving an error about connectivity or security failing to establish. No solution found; restarting router/modem/pc temporarily solved issue. Now games/clients cannot connect to servers but all browser URLs resolve, restart trio does nothing. Attempted many solutions:
  • DNS troubleshooting
  • ip/dns flush
  • tracert
  • reboot
  • driver update/rollback
  • virus search
  • firewall

The issue seems unconnected to anything specific that I did, I had not installed or uninstalled anything specific before it occurred, just played like normal. Roommate's computer has stayed connected to all URLs and game servers for the entirety of my issue. That computer is also hardwired and has slightly newer hardware than mine.

 
The Background:
I'm relatively competent when it comes to computers, though I'm an enthusiast, I don't keep up with the more nitty gritty side (read: code). The first time I had this problem, I never noticed being unable to reach certain websites (via URL). It simply went from normal gaming to various errors pointing to a fault in my connection (most specifically Rocket League and Uplay’s client). The problem persisted for over a week and I tried various solutions from different forums, none of which worked, at which point I called it quit and reinstalled Windows. 
Since reinstalling, I run the same programs (more or less). I play the same games (predominantly). And I use the same websites.
 
The Long Story:
The issue has returned, starting with being unable to connect to a Rocket League server. I could launch the game through Steam, and successfully play other games, but as soon as Rocket League attempted to connect to its servers I got an error. I then noticed that certain URLs would not load in any browser:
  • Google
  • Apple
  • various forum sites
  • Youtube
  • Yahoo
  • several others

Many sites remained accessible. I could ping 8.8.8.8 in command prompt, so I set it as my DNS and it did not resolve the issue. If I ran tracert/ping the websites that didn’t work, or their actual IP address, it would stall out/have 100% packet loss.

It “fixed” after two days, I had turned my computer on after class and tried to pull up Youtube to see if the problem persisted. It did, and I checked for Windows updates with hopes that one could solve my issue. There were no updates, so I searched for an answer with Bing and while loading I walked out of the room. I left the room for no more than 10 minutes and when I came back my computer had restarted by itself, all connectivity issues were resolved.
The next day or two it returned, and I tried many things. I ran everything I saw on forums
  • DNS troubleshooting
  • ipconfig
  • tracert
  • ping test
  • speedtest
  • driver update/rollback
  • windows update check
  • firewall settings
  • host file
  • virus/malware/rootkit searches
    • Malwarebytes
    • Windows Defender
    • AVG
    • Spybot S&D
The solution that worked was shutting off my computer, unplugging it, unplugging the router and modem. And then systematically plugging them back in: router, modem, then computer. This went on for two days, but not every reboot would solve the issue, until it stopped completely. Now I cannot connect to various game servers, Rocket Leauge, Blizzard, Uplay. But all issues with URLs not loading are gone; I can access Google, Youtube, Apple, etc. I cannot connect to some game servers, though I can connect to others. The only software I have the monitors internet is Covenant Eyes, for personal beliefs, but this issue occurred much later than instillation and there is no active filter in place.
 
 
The Build:
  • OS: Windows 10 Home (Upgraded from Win 7)
  • Connection: Ethernet Cable.
  • Internet Provider: Mediacom
  • Modem: Arris Surfboard SB6183
  • Router: Linksys WRT-1200AC (default settings)
  • Firewall/ Antivirus: Windows Defender (default settings)
  • Mother Board: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Hero
  • CPU: I5-6600k 3.50GHz (OC at 4.2GHz)
  • GPU: MSI GTX970 TwinFrozr
  • Speedtest: ping (40-60) down (120-130) up (20-30)

Edited by DefeatedByMediacom, 20 October 2017 - 12:36 AM.


BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

 


#2 DefeatedByMediacom

DefeatedByMediacom
  • Topic Starter

  • Members
  • 2 posts
  • OFFLINE
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 21 October 2017 - 09:43 AM

Solved:

 

Uninstalled Covenant Eyes and then reinstalled. For some reason it was preventing the connections, but was not notifying me of this. I don't know why it happened because nothing changed on the computer or account.






0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users