Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does DMCA cover Malicious Software?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JeffBlack

JeffBlack

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:22 AM

Hi, first time here.

I'm unsure if this is the correct forum to post this question.

Does the DMCA cover the hosting of KMSpico, Windows Toolkit, Windows Activator etc.

I have found links for the downloading of activation tools in YouTube and Facebook.

Most of the hosting sites remove the file(s), however one site wanted additional information stating that this was a copyright matter.

Thank You.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:25 AM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

The DMCA.

KMSpico Website, Random Search.

It seems clear to me that the KMSpico tool is clearly covered by the stated purposes of the DMCA.  The sole purpose of these tools/activators is the circumvention of copyright laws pertaining to the installation of a Microsoft product  for sale on the open market.

IMO...the fact that the tool is clearly designed to violate copyright laws relative to MS products...also tends to make it an attractive item for those who wish to easily distribute malware via the self-installation of this tool.

Louis

IMO...your question...citing "malicious software" may not be answered clearly since "malicious" is an ill-defined term.  But the fact that there are websites existent which offer pirated software...it would seem that these should be covered by the DMCA.  Which ought to bring up the question...just how valuable is the DMCA and how effective are the efforts made to do...what the DMCA is supposed to be focused on.

Edited by hamluis, 20 October 2017 - 08:33 AM.

#3 JeffBlack

JeffBlack
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:25 AM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:31 PM

Thank you sir for your help.

Here is a copy of an email I received from customer support at a hosting service:

" If this does contain any malicious software please let us know. If it just has the software and the key to unlock it then this can only be taken down by a DMCA claim."

The file in question only contains a text file with 6 keys listed. 

After reading some of the links you provided I see that I must forward all information to the software developer.

As I'm not an authorized agent.

I also understand why a post would have the wording "for testing purposes only" or "for educational purposes only"

Thanks again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users