Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fall creators update: black screen with loading dots.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cdowning22

cdowning22

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 11:47 PM

I had received the Windows 10 Fall creators update via Windows Update, however it feels like I've hit a roadblock.

The update downloaded normally, but during the "Preparing to install updates" phase I was forced to put my computer in sleep mode cause I had work in the morning.

The next day, the computer ended sleep mode normally, while the "Preparing to install" phase took a while to wake up, but finished with no problems.

I've had the update process go well up to this point, but now the process has hanged on a black screen with loading wheel, post boot-logo.

I'm fearing that holding the power button to shut it down will just kill my laptop for good. I've been waiting since 4:00 p.m. Eastern Time.

Computer in question is a Toshiba Satellite S55-C5274. Got it 2 years ago at an OfficeMax.

Update: Holding the power button for a shut down and restart resulted in an attempted and successful recovery of the installation process. Progress is at 33% at the time of this edit.

Second update: The Fall creators update has finished installing! Now I'm wondering what caused it to hang for so long in the first place.

Edited by cdowning22, 20 October 2017 - 04:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:49 AM

It might be the app readiness tool sorting out all your apps & programs.
Its the only thing I can think of as I had the same black screen upon a restart - initial upgrade was fine.

#3 cdowning22

cdowning22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:07 AM

It might be the app readiness tool sorting out all your apps & programs.
Its the only thing I can think of as I had the same black screen upon a restart - initial upgrade was fine.

I'm gonna assume that the app readiness tool crashed on me. It's always the little things that can keep an update from going smooth.  :wacko:

#4 RJMass1

RJMass1

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

This also happened on mine, took for ever to update one of the patches. I also received a black screen. Was resolved after 2 reboots. 

"The world is a dangerous place, Elliot, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." ~ Mr Robot

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users