Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Updates Stuck For More than 24 Hours

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MaaD

MaaD

• Members
  • 516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 PM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:55 PM

My Dell Inspiron 23 desktop all in one Wndows updates freezes for more than 24 hours......."Working on updates 74% complete Don't turn off your computer" I have tried restarting it but it just continues. Please help!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,066 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 AM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 03:35 AM

Please boot your computer with Windows Setup Media and from Windows Recovery Environment start the Command Prompt.

Please type below command into Command Prompt and press Enter key.

dism /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Please replace partition letter C: with Windows installed partition letter.  When computer boots into Windows Recovery Environment (WinRE) environment the drive letter assign to Windows partition may not be C: drive letter because Windows 7, 8 , 8.1 and 10 creates a separate system partition when it's installed from scratch. The system partition contains boot files WinRE assigns the system partition the C: drive letter and the Windows installed partition will be assign any other drive letter usually D: drive letter is assign to Windows installed partition. The Bcdedit /enum | find "osdevice" command can be use to find out the drive letter of the Windows installed partition the output of the Bcdedit command is similar to this osdevice partition=D:. The drive letter after partition= is the drive letter of the Windows partition.

Share your knowledge. Its a way to achieve immortality.
- Dalai Lama

#3 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 516 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:33 AM

I don't think I have the Windows Setup Media. Is this for a new Windows installation?

#4 MaaD

MaaD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 516 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:49 AM

Ok. I was able to reset the computer. 

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 PM

Posted 26 October 2017 - 09:17 AM

man sometime you just have to wait it out with microsoft updates and this last one was a biggy!   I've had a few that i just had to let the systems sit for well over 24hrs to finish.  one was stuck at 49% for 26hr then jumped to 76% then another few hours and it was done.

not all machines are created equally and there are just a few stinker's out there that all you can do is wait.

#6 anker_by

anker_by

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 AM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 07:21 PM

Did you check any app on Microsoft website? Download Center i mean that. Repair Windows Update.

Edited by anker_by, 28 October 2017 - 07:22 PM.

#7 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 07:39 PM

The solution to this could be remarkably easy and totally not what one would expect.

When the Windows 8.1 updates hang at about 74% simply unplug the ac adapter from the laptop and let it set.

After a while the updates will proceed as normal. At that time you can plug the ac adapter back in.

I have fixed several Windows 8.1 updates that appear to be stuck this way.

Dont ask me why it works but it does.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#8 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:12 PM

The solution to this could be remarkably easy and totally not what one would expect.

When the Windows 8.1 updates hang at about 74% simply unplug the ac adapter from the laptop and let it set.

After a while the updates will proceed as normal. At that time you can plug the ac adapter back in.

I have fixed several Windows 8.1 updates that appear to be stuck this way.

Dont ask me why it works but it does.

coincidence, if you just let it set it will finish on it's own.  some systems just take forever.

#9 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 PM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 07:03 PM

Done it many times. Try it.

After letting it without the ac adapter connected for about 15-30 minutes the updates will proceed as normal.

Google it and you will find others that have done this successfully as well.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,903 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 PM

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:09 AM

Ok. I was able to reset the computer. 

Are you using OEM Recovery Disks, or Retail Image without all the Bloatware?

In the future, I would do some research to see if you can install Windows 10, and make sure you pc will run it safely.  Or, keep up at this post and we can get you some help, Windows 8 is by far the worst to install as far as time is concerned.  I think it takes me 6hrs with all Updates.

If you want leave us with the Model of your pc and we can look into it.

Don't get me wrong, Windows 8 is good, but if you're prone to malware or making mistakes that cost you are reinstall, you may be better off with Windows 10, it takes far less time to install Windows 10

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,306 posts
  •  

Posted 21 November 2017 - 01:05 PM

If you wish to do what FreeBooter has suggested you can download a Window 8.1 ISO file which can be used to create installation media.

You can use the Windows Media Creation Tools to create Windows 8.1 installation media.  You will have the option to use either a disc (DVD) or a flash drive to create the installation media.  Click on the link below and follow the instructions.  Click/tap on this link to go the the website.

There are three options, use the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on different PC.

The instructions a easy to follow, so there shouldn't be any problems as long as you follow the instructions.

Once you have the installation media created you will need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the first device in the boot order is the DVD-ROM, the second device is the ssd/hdd.  You will need to press the F10 key to save these changes.

You can use the installation media to access the Windows 8.1 Recovery Options, the option you want to select is Command Prompt.  When this opens you need to copy and paste the command below provided by FreeBooter in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

dism /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users