Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DVD drive problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DanCarol

DanCarol

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:40 PM

My pc was playing all dvd discs with no problem until yesterday. Now it can only read some discs and not others. Kindly help

Edited by hamluis, 20 October 2017 - 05:31 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RJMass1

RJMass1

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:38 AM

What model pc do you have? Have you checked the driver? Did anything change on your pc yesterday?

"The world is a dangerous place, Elliot, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." ~ Mr Robot

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 PM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:14 AM

Open the Windows Start menu and type cmd in the search box, this should appear above the search box.  Right click on this and select Run as Administrator.

When the Elevated Command Prompt opens copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.  This will open the Device Manager.

mmc devmgmt.msc

When the Device Manager opens scroll down to DVD/CD-ROM drives and see if there are any yellow warning icons or red error icons shown.  If there are click on the Driver tab and uninstall the driver, then restart the computer.  When the computer restarts it will install a new driver for the optical drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:46 AM

following instruction are if they are not missing from the device manager.

dvd drives either work great or they don't, if they don't then it could be a couple different things.   the lens is dirty and needs cleaned (probably this one if your in a smoking house hold, not saying anything bad about smoking but the tar and nicotine kill electronics equipment.  and the surgeon general warns that smoking may cause lung cancer!), or it could be the motor that spins the disc is going bad, or the laser diode is getting weak.  If it's a laptop and the tray pops open you can use 90% alcohol & a q-tip to clean the laser easily, if it's a desktop it's a little more work but still doable by popping the lid and again cleaning the laser with 90% alcohol and a q-tip.  now if cleaning doesn't fix it then its probably the motor not spinning the disc up to speed fast enor the laser itself then just buy a new drive.

don't use a cd/dvd lens cleaner because they don't work as good as a q-tip and elbow grease!

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:29 AM

I would suggest putting off cleaning the lens until other options have been tried.  If you do decide to clean the lens you need to be aware most DVD drives have two laser, so you would need to clean both.  The lenses are suspended in a fashion that if you exert too much force on one it can push it out alignment.  Cigarette smoke has been mentioned.  Nicotine can and will coat the lenses which would then require a mild solvent like alcohol to clean the lenses.  If this isn't the case I would purchase one of the DVD/CD disc cleaners, they should be sufficient to clean the loose surface crud.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:28 PM

I've cleaned lenses for years starting in the 90's when consumor cd players cost $1000 +.   I have never destroyed a lens with a q-tip.  unless you physically destroy the suspension system for the lens it's very hard to throw it out of alignment because it's magnetically controlled focus assembly.   

and most players do have 2 lasers but a single lens system.   you have mirrors and pass through lens in a couple different spots most are sealed so you can't to them anyways.

but again cleaning disc's now don't work the same as in the past.  in the past players use to spin the disc then try to get a focus lock on the disc and that was good because cd/dvd lens cleaners would actually clean the lens when the disc spins up.

now players do a focus lock on the discs before they even try to spin up the disc. so if the laser is dirty or weak and cant get a focus lock on the disc it won't even spin the disc for the cleaner to even work.  that's why I say cleaner disc's are no good anymore.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,483 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

I would wait and see what the OP finds before pushing a lens cleaning. 

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,770 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2017 - 07:33 PM

I think I have three or four in the spare parts bin.  They all worked when removed from what ever unit went to e-waste.  Cleaning with the q-tip is the best method, made even easier with the newer vertical mounts and doors you can hold open.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users