Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ocassional Redirection to *.cloudfront.net sites on Chrome on Android?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 HighTide1

HighTide1

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 PM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:46 PM

Hello everyone. Just have had this happen a couple times recently, so I wanted to try and get it checked. On Chrome on Android, I've been occasionally redirected to some variant of a cloudfront.net ad, usually telling me I've won something or other. Now, I always close the website and don't click on anything on the website itself, but this has happened to me two times in the past week, so I want to check and make sure my device is okay. The issue in question only occurs when I have Javascript enabled, and doesn't occur on every site, only random ones which display ads instead. Running ESET and Malwarebytes on the system turns up nothing. Any advice on what I should do? I've also reset the cookies and browsing data on Chrome earlier, but it's too early to tell if that fixes it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:08 AM

Hello also do these and see.

zcMPezJ.pngAdwCleaner
  • Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool. Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • The contents of the log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, let me know about it.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.
lv0mVRW.pngJunkware Removal Tool
  • Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 HighTide1

HighTide1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:28 AM

Umm..., it's sort of impossible for me to do any of those things? This is something that has occurred on an Android Phone, a Samsung Galaxy S5 to be exact. As far as I can tell, no AdwCleaner app exists, nor one for JRT. Again, to reiterate the issue, I'm occasionally redirected to a cloudfront ad. It doesn't happen universally, appears random at best, and doesn't occur when Javascript is disabled. I've scanned with ESET and MalwareBytes, but both come up empty. Just want to check if it's a problem on the phone, or just a malicious ad.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:35 AM

Can be malicious... L@@K

Reset your browser to default.

Edited by boopme, 20 October 2017 - 09:37 AM.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 HighTide1

HighTide1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:37 AM

I've followed the instructions given on the website. Haven't had the issue yet, but as it was random to begin with, I can't conclude anything yet. With regards to the problem itself, could that occur on a perfectly healthy device if it just visited a page with a bad ad? Or could this only occur on a compromised device? I ask because ESET, Mbar, and Zemana come up with nothing when scanning.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

Unfortunately some sites and downloads carry extra baggage. That why I run Adware cleaner ,, Junkware and MBAM every 2 weeks and an ESET san every month

#7 HighTide1

HighTide1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

You're definitely right on that. For that reason, I usually do any risky browsing, or browsing in geberal, on my phone. More difficult to get malicious apps when you never install anything. Redirecting ads are annoying though, especially when they occur on sites you would think are good. I mean, I got the latest one on doodle (polling site).

#8 HighTide1

HighTide1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 09:58 PM

Just to ask, but is there anything else that I should do on this, or is that pretty much it? I tend to use this phone alot, so I'd rather not worry if it were infected or not.

#9 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 02:16 PM

Are they both the paid tools? ESET and MBAM?

How to Enable/disable JavaScript in Chrome

https://www.whatismybrowser.com/guides/how-to-enable-javascript/chrome

Edited by boopme, 23 October 2017 - 02:21 PM.

#10 HighTide1

HighTide1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 06:43 PM

On my phone, all I have are the free versions. On everything else, I have the licenses. I've already disabled Javascript on Chrome, but I find I need to re enable it for a fair amount of sites. Do you think I need to worry about anything else?

#11 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,740 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2017 - 11:05 AM

Not really.. Appears its this one site that has programming issues.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users