Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop keyboard has keys that will randomly stop working.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Buccura

Buccura

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:12 PM

I'm getting a bit frustrated with an issue my ASUS X550J has been having for months now. Occasionally, it will randomly stop acknowledging when I press certain keys, namely backspace,2, 3, and sometimes P. I have no idea what is causing it. I've opened it up and cleaned out the connectors to the motherboard with q-tips and alcohol, but that doesn't seem to do it. Anyone else have any idea what could be causing this? I tried reinstalling drivers a while ago but that didn't seem to work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:46 PM

You might want to check out this post in Internal Hardware.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Buccura

Buccura
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 05:24 PM

I guess my best option then is to contact ASUS and see if I can get a replacement keyboard.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:15 PM

Laptops vary considerably in their ease of replacement. Some keyboards just unclip from the top surface - no dismantling, just a little care required. Others require virtually a complete strip down. Your best first step is to go onto YouTube and search for 'ASUS X550J keyboard', you will almost certainly find a video showing how to replace the keyboard.

I would also do a Google search for the keyboard. ASUS may be competitively priced, they may not. So long as you choose a supplier with a good reputation you will have no problem if another supplier offers a better price. I recently replaced one on a Sony Vaio for a friend of mine and that cost £UK 11 from Amazon.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 19 October 2017 - 06:15 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users