Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer beep randomly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Arnaudc

Arnaudc

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:24 AM

Hello all,

This is my first post on this forum and I hope you will be able to assist me...

Here is my issue:

3 days ago, my computer started beeping (a short rather loudy one) randomly.

What do I mean by random? This could be three times over 15 minutes as it could be once over 4 hours.

This beep is not related to the fact that my computer is on or not.. Even with computer being unplugged (this is not a laptop), this beep could randomly occur. Last night I heard it around 10pm, 11pm, 6am, (not exact hour but to give you an idea)...

My computer is 1.5 year old and here are the specs:

- Windows 10 64 bit

- CPU: Intel Core i5 6400 @ 2.70GHz

- RAM: 8.00 Go Single-Channel DDR3 @797MHz

- MotherBoard: Asustek Computer Inc B150M-A D3

- Graphics: 4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

- Storage: 1863GB Seagate ST2000DX001

Not sure if you need other information?

Thank you in advance for your support.

Kind regards,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:30 AM

Just to clarify, you are saying the beeping can occur when the computer is OFF and UNPLUGGED? If so, I'd check for some other source of the sound beside the computer.

#3 Arnaudc

Arnaudc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:56 AM

Allan,

Thank you very much for your answer.

EDIT: Yes the beep can occur with computer off and unplugged..

I will follow you suggestion but it looks this is coming straight from the computer (isn't there kind of a Motherboard speaker?)

Because this sound is not coming from my headset/speaker plugged to the computer for sure.

Yesterday, I opened up the computer and did not find anything like a pocket watch or something like this (read a similar case where children hid something inside the computer)

Thank you.

Edited by Arnaudc, 19 October 2017 - 08:56 AM.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:08 AM

do you have your computer plugged into a battery backup?  a low voltage battery or even bad battery will beep.  or maybe it's a smoke detector going off because the battery is low.  I doubt your computer being unplugged is going to make a noise at all.

#5 Arnaudc

Arnaudc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

Mightywiz,

Thank you for your answer.

I do not have such a device (not that I am aware of)

Is the CMOS battery not able to have the motherboard produce a beep without external energy source?

However, I like the smoke detector battery idea... I will check in my flat where is this and if that could be the source (would be a big relief)

Thank you.

#6 Arnaudc

Arnaudc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 01:09 AM

Dear all,

Tank you very much for the smoke detector idea.. It might be the actual cause of the beep... apologies

Kind regards,

Edited by Arnaudc, 20 October 2017 - 01:10 AM.

#7 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 790 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 11:04 AM

I have to admit I to was fooled by the smoke detector at one time.  I had pulled a bunch down and put them in a box without pulling the batteries when we moved from a house to a different place.  one day I started getting a random beep that I couldn't figure out for the life of me where it was coming from. then one day looking in my parts room (which is attached to my main living room), it beeped at me and I finally found it.

stupid beep sounded like it was coming from my computer all the time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users