Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Freezing/Crashing No BSOD

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 Chazzen

Chazzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 05 November 2017 - 11:07 PM

However, when this happened I hit CtrlScrollScroll again to attempt a BSOD but it did nothing--or so I thought. Upon restarting another file the same exact size as the last (RAM limitation?) appeared. This time instead of being named 'MEMORY.DMP' (which I still have by the way) it is now named 'DUMP2d56.tmp'.

Just curiously, who told you about this? :)

Can you try putting your graphics card on another PCI slot? I'll come back with more suggestions later...

Sorry for such a late response...my classes have had me really busy recently once again.

I learned of that as I was trying to identify the issue. Initially believing it to be driver-related I was hoping a BSOD before the Freeze occurred would net me positive results. So, I found a way to enable it within the registry and set to work trying to get it to work right before the PC froze. I tested it within safe-mode just to ensure it did indeed work (it did), and then tried it in normal mode. Unfortunately, CtrlScrollScroll just made the computer immediately freeze and do the distortion immediately. No matter what I tried it would always do a freeze at any point in normal mode. That's why I still think it is a driver issue of some sort. As it works in Safe Mode but not normal.

I can try that but will need to do it some-time tomorrow night after classes.

Thanks again for all the help. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 Chazzen

Chazzen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:21 AM

Can you try putting your graphics card on another PCI slot? I'll come back with more suggestions later...

I've now done so and it doesn't seem to have made a difference. I did have trouble getting it to detect one of my monitors at first but was able to fix it after about 15 minutes.

I did try crashing the computer with what I did before but instead the programs themselves just crash. I can't even open windows media player or Vegas without both of them immediately stop responding and explorer following after. It does take around ~5 mins for the program to full crash (aka it stays on screen and nothing will kill it) including explorer. I actually got the first hang explorer crash when in 'Steam' which followed with Steam crashing. Steam itself refuses to start now as it is still running in the background in a 'hung' state. Explorer was like that for about 20 minutes until it finally ended. It seems that everything is being held up by steam being stuck in a hung state.

So, I can't use WMP, Steam, or Vegas now. Going to force a BSOD again to see if it'll work (doubtful) and restart the comp.

Sorry for the really late response, been a very busy month.

On an unrelated note: My 'C' drive has about 60 GBs missing. By that, I mean that everything on 'C' says that it is '94 GB' in total. However, when looking under computer, it says that '152 GB' has been used. This was not the case previously. Within a day I've lost 10 GB worth of space. I'm not sure what is causing this but it is going at worrying pace. I only have around 15 GB left...so I'll have to start looking for stuff to delete...

Going to attach a few error messages and other things to this in case they are helpful.

EDIT: Well, I did get a Blue Screen of Squiggly lines this time when CtrlScrollScroll was used:

Attached File  bluescreenkinda.jpg   75.56KB   0 downloads

Attached Files

Edited by Chazzen, 18 November 2017 - 04:31 AM.

#18 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,487 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 21 November 2017 - 10:50 PM

EDIT: Well, I did get a Blue Screen of Squiggly lines this time when CtrlScrollScroll was used:

I wouldn't bother manually initiating BSODs with the Scroll Lock key. That technique is not used in cases like yours. But by any chance did it create any MEMORY.DMP file in the Windows directory?

On an unrelated note: My 'C' drive has about 60 GBs missing. By that, I mean that everything on 'C' says that it is '94 GB' in total. However, when looking under computer, it says that '152 GB' has been used. This was not the case previously. Within a day I've lost 10 GB worth of space. I'm not sure what is causing this but it is going at worrying pace. I only have around 15 GB left...so I'll have to start looking for stuff to delete...

Not sure whether if this is related to the hangs. Perhaps you may find Folder Size helpful?

I am truly scratching my head regarding your system, but I'll try to fight until the end. :) The first drastic step I'd take is to reinstall Windows clean. (That is, an installation with all Windows Updates installed and no third-party programs installed.) If you still encounter hangs, then I would try this hardware stripdown procedure: http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

Apart from that, in the mean time, I would highly consider update your BIOS but if and only if you are confident enough to do so. There is a chance that the BIOS could have some compatibility bug and the surest way to rule that out is to update it.

Edited by bwv848, 21 November 2017 - 10:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users