Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC won't detect my WD 1tb external hard drive.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xrystal

xrystal

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:57 AM

Let me start from the very beggining of the problem to make it easier to solve.
The hard drive was connected to my PC and was working perfectly till I connected it to another PC. The PC loaded it fine, then suddenly the PC started hanging and the drive had to be disconnected and reconnected. The other PC didn't detect the drive but it made a sound that the drive was connected.
I tried plugging it into my PC and same thing happened. I heard the sound that its connected and the drive is spinning with the light on but won't show on My Computer.
The drive won't show on Disk Management but I can see it on Device Manager. I tried deleting the drivers and reinstalling them, then for a while the drive became visible but will hang windows once I click on it. And when I disconnect it and reconnect it, it doesn't show again. It showed up recently and o tried to run chkdsk on it and I'm getting something like "file record segment 37489 is unreadable" but all my files are still on it, I see them when they come up.
And it should be noted that while the drive is spinning, I hear like a clicking sound that comes up ones in a while.
I'd really appreciate a solution cos I have a lot of data on the drive I have not backed up yet. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:20 AM

Sounds as though the drive is dead or dying. You can try running Seatools for DOS to check the drive and see if it can be repaired. BTW, external hard drives don't require drivers.

#3 pistol22cal

pistol22cal

• Members
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:08 AM

Sounds as though the drive is dead or dying. You can try running Seatools for DOS to check the drive and see if it can be repaired. BTW, external hard drives don't require drivers.

You sir have a very sick hdd, if it has important files on it you will need data recovery.

Louis Rossmann, he's a fairly big youtuber does this type of repair.

His website is - https://mailin.repair/data-recovery - for data recovery

Also, I have no affiliation whatsoever with him or his company. He just knows his stuff and I like his youtube channel.

I Love Lamp!

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,161 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:28 AM

I agree with the prior assessments that you have a failed or in the very late stages of failing hard drive.

You're already at the "it's questionable whether you'll get your data back without professional recovery services stage" but you certainly have options you can try.

The first thing you need to do is to acquire a replacement external drive of equal size or larger than the existing failing one.  Then use the cloning software of you choice to try to clone the whole drive over to the new one (errors and all, if they're present).  Then do all your data recovery attempts using the new drive.  This is done because if the old drive is in the throes of some sort of mechanical failure process the intense activity needed for non-professional data recovery tools could force it over the edge.  You're better off trying to clone everything off of it that you can as what might be it's "last hurrah".

Then you can take a look at what you got on the new drive you've cloned to.  Depending on what you find, or don't find, you may want to run TestDisk and/or one of its associated utilities on the cloned disk to see what can be recovered.  I've had to use PhotoRec (which recovers a lot more than photos) on really, really damaged drives in the past.

If you can't recover from your cloned copy then professional services, which generally cost big bucks, will be needed on the original drive.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,025 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 10:55 AM

If you plan on cloning the drive to another computer see this guide from a BC advisor. This is an in depth tutorial so read it twice before doing the steps. If you decide to use this method is used you would need one drive for receiving the rescue image and another to restore the image to. You can also attempt to mount the img file using OSFMount. ddrescue as outlined will attempt to read each sector 3 times before moving to the next sector. Note: Doing this on a failing drive can send it over the edge.

https://html5.litten.com/make-full-image-of-broken-raw-infected-or-encrypted-hard-drive-with-free-tools/

Depending on how important this data is to you consider a professional data recovery service. This is not cheap as clean rooms are used to dis-assemble the drive. One of the better ones is DriveSavers. Note: this will be a minimum of $800.

https://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users