Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backing up contacts

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 resa83

resa83

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:23 PM

Just bought a new ZTE blade spark phone. I desperately need to know how to back up new contacts to my Google account I do not see that option on this phone the only options I see is the import export to external storage.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:30 PM

Are they not already sync-ed (which would mean, backed up) to your Google Account?  That's the general setup for Android where you supply a Google Account to which the phone syncs.

It's bidirectional, so it's easy to test whether this is happening.  If you create a new contact using your Google Account on a computer it should automatically show up on your phone at the next sync interval.   The same is true, in reverse, if you create a new contact on the phone.

If you're not seeing this behavior then you'd need to figure out why not.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 resa83

resa83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:52 PM

My Google account is set up on my new and old device. I don't have access to a computer. On the old device and this new device is automatically saving to the phone. I can't find an option to save to Sims card or Google account. When I'm in the contact it's showing that is saved to phone but I can't click it to change it. Will try to upload screenshot.

#4 resa83

resa83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:54 PM

Dont see options to upload photos in this reply box....

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:36 PM

It doesn't matter what two separate devices you have.  If information is "automagically" appearing on the new one it's because it's being synced from somewhere and that somewhere is most likely a Google Account.

Add a "dummy contact" on your new device and see if it shows up on your old device, and vice versa.

It would be the very odd Android device that didn't keep local copies (so it can access them if you don't have a connection to the internet) but that has your Google Account as the main repository for your contacts and e-mail messages.

This forum does not allow image attachments while others on the BC site do.  The only way to include them on forums where this is not supported is to put them out on some third-party host and use the control that looks like a small picture, to the right of the font controls, to supply the URL of that image to have it included in a message.  That or just paste the URL in the message, but then folks will have to click through to see the image.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 resa83

resa83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:44 PM

Nothing is automatically showing up on the new one. I just want to know if there's a way for contacts to automatically be saved to Google Target thank my phone, when I'm saving the contacts

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,147 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:53 PM

I honestly do not know how to answer your question because I have no clue what your respective phones are doing.

As I have already said, if you're using the built in Gmail and Contacts apps, and you are using the same Google Account to log in via those apps, the email messages should be shared among the devices via IMAP access and contacts should be synced to your Google Account and appear on all devices no matter which one they were created on.

It is impossible to answer your question without first knowing what app or apps are being used to manage contacts as a starting point and where those apps actually store contacts.  If they're something storing locally then you would have to export your contacts then import them into the Google Contacts app and use it instead if you want your contacts available on all devices and kept backed up in Google's cloud.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 resa83

resa83
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 163 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 11:30 AM

Just wanted to say this phone automatically backs contacts up to phone unless I specifically choose each new contact to be saved to my Gmail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users