Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notepad++ in linux, wine?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:56 PM

I'm working with an ubuntu (16.04 LTS) linux system, not my usual linux mint, I was hoping to install notepad++ as of all the text editors I know of it has the nicest interface. I have some gripes about, for example, how gedit makes long lines wrap round rather than giving you a scroll bar for right-left motion at the bottom, so I'd like to use an editor which I've had experience of before and found a nice experience.

I understand that notepad++ doesn't have a linux version but hear rumours it can be done with wine. I have used wine before to put google sketchup (the version I installed was old enough that google still owned it when my version came out) onto a mint MATE system and know that wine installs usually need a bit of a guide for the user to read through as they often require the user to do things that somehow "magically" make it work, for example registry keys in wine's virtual registry may need fiddling with. Are there any of these "magic" steps a user must perform to do a wine install of notepad++ on linux?

Also, my experience of sketchup shows that while installing is possible one doesn't seem to be able to easily get a wined program to be the default with which to open a file type, or even show in the "right click on a file" menu at all. For sketchup, a CAD program, this isn't too big an issue, one can open the program first then browse for the files then spend however many hours working on them. For notepadd++ a text editor I'll need to open files often and quickly straight from the file manager, potentially even from the terminal. So can anyone give advice on how to make sure I can get notepad++, once installed with wine, to be in the "open with" menu and be the default for .txt , .cpp , .h and .xml files?

Please assume throughout that I'd want the latest version of notepad++ possible, but if only older versons are compatible with wine then please state it and give advice for using those older versions.

Thanks

Edited by rp88, 18 October 2017 - 06:56 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 10,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:34 AM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:22 PM

Have you seen this?

http://www.configserverfirewall.com/ubuntu-linux/install-notepad-plus-plus-ubuntu/

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:10 PM

There's also NotepadQQ which runs natively on Linux. http://notepadqq.altervista.org/s/

Although I haven't used myself I've heard things about it.:)

#4 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,761 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:14 AM

Thanks NickAu, that looks a lot easier than I had expected.

SuperSapien64, I've heard it's not wise to install extra PPAs onto linux, does notepadqq have a .deb file (or some sort of compressed file) I can simply download, or perhaps a place in ubuntu's repository?

Edited by rp88, 19 October 2017 - 06:14 AM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 1,940 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 09:16 AM

Eh PPA's are safe enough, the only issue with them is that they are from the community as opposed to being from canonicals/ubuntu's packagers.

And yes launchpad isnt bulletproof but neither are third party providers in general.

Plus one can download a .deb as a standalone from said PPA's.

In any case the ppa for notepadqq would be fine asthis is their official PPA:

https://launchpad.net/~notepadqq-team/+archive/ubuntu/notepadqq

Meaning it is they who maintain the packages so I would be fine with it.

Edited by MadmanRB, 19 October 2017 - 09:19 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

gh8un5-6.png

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 624 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 AM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:42 PM

SuperSapien64, I've heard it's not wise to install extra PPAs onto linux, does notepadqq have a .deb file (or some sort of compressed file) I can simply download, or perhaps a place in ubuntu's repository?

Well I cant speak for NotepadQQ but I do use the Keepass2 PPA and I've never had any major issues with it. Besides you can always try NotepadQQ in a virtual machine.

#7 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:16 PM

Thanks for that, Nick! Running very nicely under WINE 1.7.51 in Xenialpup 7081.....

I've also knocked together a Menu entry for it, too. I hate clicking on .exe files to launch WINE stuff.....so all my Windoze apps have their own Menu entries.

Cheers!  :thumbup2:

Mike.  :wink:

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#8 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,761 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2017 - 03:57 PM

I installed notepad++ through wine before seeing that explanation about PPAs, it works perfectly though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users