Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disk Consistency Check ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 James Bond

James Bond

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Location:Non-exotic city of Leicester from the Land of Hope & Glory
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:25 AM

Now & then, I've been getting the message when starting the PC up that "one of your disk needs checking for consistency" & then it scans taking little long time.

I'm on Windows XP & has FAT32 partition.

Should the message worry me or should it simply be ignored ???
Nope, I'm NOT God, but I'm British (which is the next best thing ;)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 10:34 AM

XP will function better using NTFS than it will with FAT32.

Do you have any prticular reason for using Fat 32?

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:37 AM

If you go to the site of the manurfacturer of your hard drive they should have a downloadable program to test your hard drive. They usually download to a floppy which you will use to boot from and then run the scan.

Is the SMART section enabled in the BIOS? If not, enable it and see what the status is, if the BIOS shows the SMART to be bad, start backing up your files and purchase a new hard drive.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 11:47 AM

This could happen if your computer is shut down improperly (for example, the power is turned off). If you allow the checkdisk utilitity to run and finish, and then you get the message again right away, you may have a problem; otherwise, don't worry about it.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:36 PM

That was also a known problem with XP "pre-service packs".
Not enough time to write back all the cached HD info before system shutdown. Pretty much along the same lines as jgweed's description.
Increasing the "WaitToKillServiceTimeout" value described in this article may also cure it, though I wouldn't use a value that high, maybe half to start out and go down. Chances are there's nothing wrong with the drive but it can't hurt to check it out anyways.
It's also possible an external device you have hooked up at the time, such as a usb drive, may be the actual cause.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users