Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Firefox browser is slow and filled with tracking cookies

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 drklang86

drklang86

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:19 PM

I'm using my 2002 Dell Optiplex gX270 running Windows XP. I've pulled it apart and cleaned out all the dust and debris. I just replaced the CMOS battery and added 1gb DDRPC3200 DIMM/400Mhz of RAM. I use Comodo firewall. I also allow the Windows firewall. I regularly run Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro. I installed the latest version of Mozilla/Firefox as my browser. I use Google as the search engine. I have run the tweaking.com combo fix several times. It appears to have fixed some of the registry problems. I have run "chkdsk" from the command prompt to fix more issues.

While Malwarebytes may occasionally find an unwanted or suspicious file, Hitman consistently finds, on average, 37 tracking cookies or pup files. They all seem to originate from firefox setup files in my documents and settings. 

Firefox is as good a browser as any I guess. And I am working on a non supported operating system which is obviously vulnerable to pup and adware and the like.

Before I ditch the GX270 running XP, can you offer some feedback and suggestions to enable me to optimize and enhance my current system?

Thank you. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:01 PM

On my XP install...I use Firefox as my browser.  I run SuperAntiSpyware and ESET AV routinely, but I have also run MSE and Kaspersky Free (with no problems) during the last year.  I have Malwarebytes 2.2 installed but I seldom even bother running it.

I don't have the problems that you seem to have.

System slowness can be an indicator of malware on the system.

I am moving tthis topic to the Am I Infected forum for a malware check.  If that is not the source of your problems...I suggest you repost a new topic here in the XP forum.

Louis

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:52 PM

Tracking cookies are normal. Hitman always found tracking cookies on my system. I would recommend you only use one firewall, either Comodo or Windows but not both.

For Firefox extensions use Noscript, Ghostery, and Adblock Ultimate.

Run Adwcleaner. Does the computer run faster in Safe Mode? If it does then do clean boot and enable startup and services until you get a slowdown.

https://www.winhelp.us/clean-boot-windows.html

Do you browsing in a limited account, not an admin account. I recommend you do not run combofix. That is a tool best left to the experts. It can cause additional problems. 

As you know XP is not supported with security updates so it's something I would not use for banking and online purchases. Depending on what you use the computer for you could install a linux distro which is supported. 

#4 drklang86

drklang86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:57 PM

Ok. That's great. Thank you for these suggestions. I will apply them.

#5 drklang86

drklang86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:50 PM

Super AntiSpyware and ESET seemed to have helped regulate my system considerably. I did'nt get to MSE or Kapersky yet. However, when I tried AdwCleaner, when I ran it, my system warned me ..."adware cleaner 7.0.3.1.exe is not a valid win 32 application."...... Then, I ran it in safe mode, and, the warning changed to ...."a device attached to the system is not functioning.".....

I'm sure its something obvious i don't see or understand. 

I don't know if this is "am i infected" forum or "windows xp" forum.

Now i'm gonna check out noscript and ghostery.

thank you all 

#6 drklang86

drklang86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:30 PM

When I attempted to initiate the suggested scan in the noscript homepage, ESET NOD 32 Antivirus immediately blocked it. Then ESET prompted me with the message an address has been blocked. That being url http://uniblue.com/favicon.ico.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:26 PM

Uniblue is a PUP or Potentially Unwanted Program. You can download NoScript directly through the Addons page in Firefox. I'm not sure why Adwcleaner is throwing that error. It seems the latest version does not support XP which is unfortunate. 

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

https://www.fixyourbrowser.com/forum/threads/adwcleaner-not-compatible-with-windows-xp-and-vista.66/

#8 drklang86

drklang86
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 06:13 PM

Hey there. I installed ESET, Anti Superspyware, noscript, ghostery, and, adblock ultimate. I found that my system could'nt handle all these at the same time. I got rid of ESET, noscript, and ghostery. I ran a chkdsk /r command and my system is operating well.The super adblocker tells me that the pages of BP are replete with potentially harmful programs evidently embedded in all the myriad of ads, fixes, and the like. I am getting the distinct feeling that any and every windows based system is intrinsically vulnerable to pups. Anyway, you guys are so great in offering me all these options for cleansing and optimization.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users