Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My experience installing Version 1709, Build 16299

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,380 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 PM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

What follows is about as exciting as watching paint dry, but people so often ask questions of the, "How long did it take?," and, "What happened during?," sort that I thought I'd share my own, in nauseating detail.

I'm sharing just so others have something to compare against, time wise.  I am sure this will vary based upon your actual hardware.  I have an HP 15-g035wm laptop with and AMD A8-6410 processor and 8 GB of memory.  

I allowed the version update itself to download through Windows Update overnight, so I cannot report on how long that part actually took.

This morning I was presented with the "Ready to update" message that allows one to hit the "Restart Now" button if one so chooses, and I did.  In this case I regret doing that only because, from start to finish after that it took just short of 3 hours for the update to complete and for the lock screen to be presented allowing me to log in.

The beginning of the update is glacially slow.  It took about an hour and twenty minutes to reach 27% installed, and this is where the first restart occurs.

Once the restart is complete you come back at 30% complete, with the total moving along to 44% in about 10 minutes time.  Another 15 minutes goes by to reach 53% and then you linger there for a while.  The second restart came at about one hour and 55 minutes and still showing 53% when it occurred.

Once the second restart is complete it takes about 20 minutes to reach 78% and then remained at 78% for about 30 minutes, then made a slow climb to 82%.  At this point total time elapsed is 2 hours and 25 minutes.

It crept up to 84% over about 10 minutes and then stayed there.  

At this point I had to leave the room, but when I returned a tiny bit over three hours after starting the lock screen was up and ready for me to log in.

Once you log in you go through a sequence that lasts about 15 minutes that's been common on major updates to Windows 10.  You get the quick "Hi!," screen immediately followed by the, "We've got some updates for your PC," screen.  Then you transition to the "This might take several minutes," screen with the warning not to turn off your PC, which stays through the next several screens.  The next screen reads "These updates help protect you in an online world," and the one following that, "We want everything to be ready for you.  The final two screens are, "Making sure your apps are good to go," followed very rapidly by "Let's start," followed quickly by your desktop appearing.

So far I haven't encountered any issues with Version 1709.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 12:27 PM

Brian, Thanks for the detailed information regarding the recent update to the Fall Creators Edition. This type of post with this type of information is exactly what we need because a lot of people get concerned when the update takes over an hour.

Having a detailed count of the process should help alleviate people's concerns when their own update has dragged on for more than an hour or two.

As Brian pointed out, this is just a typical example of how long this update can take. Every individual can expect similar results give or take depending on the hardware that is used. So don't get worried when the update seems to be going nowhere, it is still progressing very slowly in the background.

My own experience for a clean install was vastly different. I downloaded the ISO from Microsoft which took about 10 minutes for the entire download. I then created a bootable USB stick using Rufus, this took about another 8 minutes then I installed. The installation process on my machine is always about the same, about 10 minutes or so. Then a clean reboot and check for updates and then another reboot.

All in all my clean install took about 45 minutes, including setting up my email account. After that the fun begins with a clean system and new settings to play with and configure.

Either way don't expect too much from the Fall Update. There really is not much new in the way of features for a guy like me that does not game. Sure there are new security features, which might make the update worth it, but as far as real usable features, I have not seen anything that appeals to my daily use of a computer. YMMV, but don't get your hopes up for neat new stuff.

To reiterate what Brian has said, even with a clean install I have encountered zero issues. Everything is fast and smooth.

Rocky

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 5,380 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 01:11 PM

Rocky,

My experience has also been that clean installs from the ISO are much faster than upgrades, whether using the ISO to accomplish them or "the usual" Windows Update method.   Using the ISO Update method does speed things up a bit.

It's simply a much more complicated process to update a system while maintaining all the user's data and, specifically the application they've installed, than wiping everything and starting anew does.  Since most of us don't want to start anew on systems we've taken years to configure we'll just live with the additional time required to update them while keeping our files and apps as they are.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,272 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 03:13 PM

Brian, You are so right. After the install I spent several hours reinstalling all of my programs again. I like the experience that it gives me, but overall the amount of time spent reinstalling programs can be a bit intensive.

Rocky

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 Alan in Toledo

Alan in Toledo

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 05:45 AM

My 7-year old Dell XPS8100 took quite a while. When it finally completed (through numerous restarts) I'm left without sound.

I've checked for driver updates and then uninstalled all three devices (AMD High Def, High Def, Realtek High Def) without any improvement.

Any suggestions for my next foray?

#6 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,272 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 06:04 AM

My 7-year old Dell XPS8100 took quite a while. When it finally completed (through numerous restarts) I'm left without sound.

I've checked for driver updates and then uninstalled all three devices (AMD High Def, High Def, Realtek High Def) without any improvement.

Any suggestions for my next foray?

You might want to simply rollback to version 1703 if that version was working for you.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 5,380 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:23 AM

You also might want to bring up Device Manager and have it rescan your system.  I recently updated two HP laptops that had Version 1511 on them and the update to 1709 made several devices, including the SD card reader, "vanish."   Once a hardware scan was done in Device Manager it picked up everything that had "gone missing" and, voila!, back to normal.

#8 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:41 PM

You also might want to bring up Device Manager and have it rescan your system.  I recently updated two HP laptops that had Version 1511 on them and the update to 1709 made several devices, including the SD card reader, "vanish."   Once a hardware scan was done in Device Manager it picked up everything that had "gone missing" and, voila!, back to normal.

Brian, please teach me about doing a system hardware scan in Device Manager? I know how to update individual drivers, however I'm not experienced to know how to accomplish your method of scanning. Knowing how to do so would be so helpful with these Win 10 updates! Thank you so much. Lisa

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 5,380 posts
  •  

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:56 PM

Lisa,

I presume you already know that Device Manager is a part of Control Panel.  Once you open it, you just hit the button shown in the screen shot below.  Windows does the rest:

Attached File  Device_Mgr_Scan_Hardware_Button.jpg   79.09KB   1 downloads

#10 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,216 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 18 November 2017 - 08:12 PM

Brian, 

My response is: WOW....I'm trying to wrap my head around 'why' I never knew of this feature. When I opened Device Manager and clicked on the scan for hardware, nothing was found which must mean good news.

In your advanced technical experience dealing with these intense Windows 10 updates, when 'strange' things take place after an update (like a WiFi connection that suddenly stops working as an example)  would performing this scan be a first step in troubleshooting to rule out a potential problem with the WiFi card? In essence, the scan could pick up any problems taking place with a device?

I really appreciate your help with this.

Lisa 

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,908 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:16 AM

Three Hours Fifteen Minutes Total for the Upgrade, O-Boy!

HP 15-ac158nr, Intel Pentium N3700 @ 1.60GHz, 8.00GB DDR3, HDD, SATA III 6.0Gb/s

Thanks for the good Thread Brian!

I guess this is better than a Re-Install?

My Clean Re-Install of 1709 was much faster on an older SATA-II Machine, but with a Intel Q9400 and plenty of RAM, I can't find my notes though.  I assume because it was about the same time as the previous Clean Installs of W10.

After all was done I get this Message in the bottom right saying "Windows Feature Update" Restart Now", Snooze, Reminder me Later, and Postpone till Tonight, tomorrow, or in Three days.  Sorry that was all from memory, will post some screenshots later.

Edited by pcpunk, 20 November 2017 - 09:36 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 5,380 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 09:39 AM

It's better than a reinstall if you don't want the hassle of backing up your user(s) data and reinstalling all the programs that you've added over the years.

A clean install is always much faster than a major update simply because a reinstall involves a lot less juggling of existing data/programs.  Not all that unlike it being easier to paint an automobile on the assembly line prior to all of the components like the engine, interior, wheels,etc., being attached.  Repainting is a far more complicated proposition.

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,908 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 03:39 PM

After all was done I get this Message in the bottom right saying "Windows Feature Update" Restart Now", Snooze, Reminder me Later, and Postpone till Tonight, tomorrow, or in Three days.  Sorry that was all from memory, will post some screenshots later.

What about this little guy Brian, did you see this in the little Message Box in Lower Right Corner?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 5,380 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:00 PM

What about this little guy Brian, did you see this in the little Message Box in Lower Right Corner?

Yes, that was abbreviated by me as the "Restart Now" option.   I did not wish to postpone, so I didn't. 

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,908 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2017 - 04:15 PM

But this was After the 1709 Upgrade, so what is it, a new Build for 1709 Already?

We did our Upgrades a little different, as I believe this pc had an issue where the Upgrade got botched by an old BIOS Version, or the owner turned off the pc during a Download or something?  I Installed the New BIOS and restarted and Checked for Updates and the 1709 came in.  Here is what I am talking about in the message area (for lack of better term).  Do you think this is just a mistake, and it has repeated itself because something went wrong the first time?

xT8X2gL.png

Edited by pcpunk, 20 November 2017 - 04:17 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users