Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kaspersky Internet Security request for un-installation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 BertPeace13

BertPeace13

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:29 PM

Lads, out of the blue but for days now, I have been receiving a notification from W10, saying that I have to re-boot my PC to finish the configuration of my Kaspersky's IS17 power event provider. Because I think I smell a rat, I have ignored the notification so far, but after asking Kaspersky's Customer Support things took an even more suspicious turn:

They are asking me to create a restoration point, then uninstall my current suite using a downloadable app called "kavremover", and then to install IS18 (a free upgrade?) directly from the cloud. 

Has anyone had a situation like this one? What do I do? 

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 PM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

KIS 18 offers a 30-day trial.  My experience with Kaspersky Free is that these popups to download/install trial or paid versions of upgrades...is normal.  KAV Remover is the Kaspersky uninstall tool.

Nothing mysterious going on that I would be concerned with..

Louis

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,938 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:00 PM

I agree....there is nothing suspicious about the instructions you were given. Creating a restore point is an easy and safe precaution in case the uninstall goes awry.

Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and create numerous files, folders, and registry entries in various locations making it more difficult to remove. It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the the shortcut in it's All Program's Program folder or the usual method of Apps & features in Windows 10 or Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel or to result in various errors due to the presence of related services and processes running in the background.

Most anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities or removal tools on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after uninstalling, or for a failed uninstall or failed reinstall. Remnants include related registry entries, files and folders created in various areas of the OS.

Removal tool for Kaspersky Lab products (kavremover)

Some errors might occur when deleting Kaspersky Lab products via Start > Control Panel > Add\Remove Programs (Add/Remove Programs). As a result the application may not uninstall correctly or remnants of the application may remain in the system. In order to fully remove the installed Kaspersky Lab product, use the kavremover tool...When you remove a product using the kavremover tool, license information is also removed. Make sure you have the license key or the activation code stored elsewhere so that you can use it again later.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 BertPeace13

BertPeace13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:05 PM

KIS 18 offers a 30-day trial.  My experience with Kaspersky Free is that these popups to download/install trial or paid versions of upgrades...is normal.  KAV Remover is the Kaspersky uninstall tool.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but better safe than sorry, since I never had a situation like this one before. Two things then:

My KIS17 is a full license (have had it since 14), and I understand that Kaspersky Support is offering me the full 18 for the reinstall. What am I going to upgrade to when next June, after the year, I have to buy the renovation? 19?

Kavr is then a true Kaspersky app?   

I agree....there is nothing suspicious about the instructions you were given. Creating a restore point is an easy and safe precaution in case the uninstall goes awry.

Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and create numerous files, folders, and registry entries in various locations making it more difficult to remove. It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the the shortcut in it's All Program's Program folder or the usual method of Apps & features in Windows 10 or Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel or to result in various errors due to the presence of related services and processes running in the background.

Most anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities or removal tools on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after uninstalling, or for a failed uninstall or failed reinstall. Remnants include related registry entries, files and folders created in various areas of the OS.

Removal tool for Kaspersky Lab products (kavremover)

Some errors might occur when deleting Kaspersky Lab products via Start > Control Panel > Add\Remove Programs (Add/Remove Programs). As a result the application may not uninstall correctly or remnants of the application may remain in the system. In order to fully remove the installed Kaspersky Lab product, use the kavremover tool...When you remove a product using the kavremover tool, license information is also removed. Make sure you have the license key or the activation code stored elsewhere so that you can use it again later.

All this is happening almost half a year after I bought the license renovation from 16 to 17; why now and not then? Is it a matter of compatibility between 17 and the (I guess) newly released 18? 

BTW, I knew I was going to get help here :thumbup2:

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,938 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:11 PM

From what I have read...Windows 10 can be "quirky" at times with some anti-virus products since it includes it's own (Windows Defender). I suspect the issue arose almost half a year later most likely after a software update to your KIS 17 which Windows had trouble with.

Kaspersky Lab home products include an Auto Renewal service so you don't have to track the license expiration date, conduct transactions to pay for license renewal, or manually enter a new code.

Kaspersky General articles: Licensing.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users