Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal HDD suddenly turned RAW

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MadPierrot

MadPierrot

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 AM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:38 PM

https://html5.litten.com/updated-how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/

I've had no previous problems recently, but today games I have saved on one of my HDDs wouldn't load, after rebooting I noted that two of my volumes were missing at this point (V, X), which are on the same drive. I turned my PC off, dusted it well, checked connections were tight and rebooted it and they now showed up, however loading programs from them is short lived. There are no odd sounds coming from the hardware at all, so I decided to follow this guide here (wouldn't let me link so I inserted it as code).

Should I even be following this guide? I imagined there would be little difference here between internal and external, but I don't know enough to be sure of such a thing.

Opening Disk Management it shows no problem with either volume, or the drive.

Opening either in Windows Explorer shows folders but almost no files (a few do show)

Running chkdsk it tells me it's RAW

Running GSmartController neither has S.M.A.R.T.

Running Speccy it shows it doesn't have S.M.A.R.T. but it shows the drive itself as 0/0 bytes

It's a 1TB drive so following along I see it will take a long time using TestDisk to find it, but I installed testdisk_win and have it running in hopes, however I'm curious since I have it split into 2 partitions of 500~ GB (V and X) will this be a problem using TestDisk?

I don't have anything that I 'absolutely can't lose' on this drive but I'd prefer not to as it's most of my active running programs that have taken quite some effort to set up and it's one of the only things I haven't backed up. Also having read those it seems it may take even longer than just a day, is it worth going this route with TestDisk at all, or is there something else I should be doing?

---

I'm also curious since I intend to move these files over to something on a RAID1 like I have most of my other data, if this happens in the future what would be the process of fixing such an issue?

Edited by MadPierrot, 18 October 2017 - 01:39 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:01 PM

I would try the following first as you may be able to pull the data without resorting to Testdisk. Download Parted Magic. Burn the iso to a CD and boot. Mount the drive with the two partitions per the below guide. If you can see your files are would move them off the disk as soon as possible. SecureBoot will need to be disabled if enabled and also Legacy or CSM boot if the computer has UEFI. I have seen where linux can read a disk Windows calls RAW.

https://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

If Parted Magic does not see the partitions then do a Quick Search in Testdisk. You can highlight any partition found and press the "P" key. If your files are listed you can copy them to the unzipped Testdisk folder by press ":" for each file or folder you wish recovered then "C" to copy and "C" to confirm. 

#3 MadPierrot

MadPierrot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:14 PM

Okay, maybe I'm having a more serious problem than I thought, now things that are fully on my C: drive (SSD) are also potentially having issues. explorer.exe keeps crashing when I go to download PartedMagic and access that folder (My user file under C:\) Error: --------------------------- explorer.exe - Application Error --------------------------- The instruction at 0x00000000779388E9 referenced memory at 0x00000000746D400C. The required data was not placed into memory because of an I/O error status of 0xc000000e. Click on OK to terminate the program Click on CANCEL to debug the program --------------------------- OK Cancel ---------------------------

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:17 PM

Could be memory issues. You could download UBCD which has a memory diagnostic program and also includes Parted Magic. Pulling the data drives and attaching them to another computer either internally or using a USB adapter would may give you a better chance at data retrieval.

If using UBCD then click on the drive icon, not the mirror link.

#5 MadPierrot

MadPierrot
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:54 PM

Both PartedMagic and partedmagic via UBCD get stuck at loading then the cd pops out later. Other parts of ubcd are fine and memtest86+ showed no memory issues.

Should I be trying an option other than 1. Run from RAM in this scenario?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,024 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:06 PM

There should be a safe mode on Parted Magic if I can remember correctly. If that does not work you can try using a USB flash drive and Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive using the iso file. 

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

If UBCD still stops then try a later linux distro like Mint Cinnamon. The kernel of UBCD may not be new enough if you have a later motherboard. When booting Cinnamon do not input anything during the boot process. Wait until you are at the desktop. Click on Computer. Your drives will be in the left pane. Click on your drives and see if they mount and the file manager opens.

https://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3289

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users