Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video files on HDD cannot be played when HDD is moved to another PC - Why?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Mac3lite

Mac3lite

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:33 PM

Quick overview - My HTPC Lenovo only supports 2 SATA devices and with my video library maxing out my 3TB HDD I need more SATA devices plus overall system upgrade.

Current HTPC Specs

Specs: IBM Lenovo ThinkCentre (MT-M: 6073-W2X)

-Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 2.33GHz

-Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 8400 GS

-Memory: 6GB (3 x 2GB PC-6400 DDR2 SDRAM 800Mhz) *4 slots total

-Storage:

--SATA0 - Hitachi HTS545032B9SA00(0A70453) 320GB 8MB Cache 5400RPM 2.5 Notebook HDD (FileSystem: NTFS)

--SATA1 - Seagate ST3000DM001-1ER166ATA(ST3000DM001) 3TB SATAIII 7200RPM 64MB Cache 3.5 Desktop HDD (FileSystem: NTFS)

-Operating System: Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64bit (Installed on SATA0-Hitachi 320GB HDD)

-SATA1 Seagate 3TB holds all of my media files (TV SHOWS, MOVIES, Home Videos, Music, Pictures) only, no programs or anything installed on this drive.

New HTPC Specs

-Dell Optiplex 780 MT

-Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 @ 3.33GHz

-Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 210

-Memory: 3GB (1x2GB DDR3 PC3-10700, 1x1GB DDR3 PC3-8500F) *4 Slots Total

-Storage

-SATA0 - Seagate ST3750640AS 750GB 16MB Cache 7200.10 RPM (3.5 Desktop HDD) FileSystem: NTFS

-Operating System: Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 64bit

*Installed all updates*

-So all I did was pulled the 3TB HDD from the IBM and put it into the Dell which worked fine, booted up the system and it came up no problem.

*The problem is for some reason, certain video files are no longer viewable; tried Kodi which is what I used on the original IBM and then I tried VLC Media player and both are unable to play it. I have fill TV Show Seasons for many different shows that I ripped from DVD and it hasn't effected all the TV Shows, just some and not every season either. For Example Bob's Burgers; Season 1 (Entire season unable to play), Season 2 and 3 same results. But Season 5 has no problems. When checking properties on any effected video file I noticed that the video details (Properties/Details-Tab: Video Length, Frame Width, Height, Data Rate, ect..) are all blank.

-So I copied one of the effected videos over the network back onto the original IBM and it's still unable to be played.

**But when I moved the HDD back into the IBM; everything was back to normal and working fine! All the videos played no problem and when pulling up properties on any of the effected files all the fields are populated correctly.

*So I copied one of the effected videos from the IBM over to the Dell and it was still playable and had all it's properties fully populated.

*For some reason some of the video files on the 3TB HDD are no longer viewable if I remove the HDD from the IBM, but if while the HDD is installed in the IBM i copy the same video files from the IBM to any other system they remain fully playable.

*I checked security on the drive and folders and they're pretty much setup with groups; Users, Everyone with FULL ACCESS right from the ROOT of the 3TB Drive including every sub ect...

*There is something I am missing that is somehow encrypting (but not really) a bunch of the media files on the 3TB HDD that doesn't change any file names, ext, properties, security, but if the drive is moved into another system the files are useless.

**BW I already ran chkdsk and defraggler (Which said the system is less then 10% and didn't require defragging) Also the 3TB HDD only has about 200GB left of space...if it matters..

Can anyone help me figure this out?? My OS installs are pretty basic for the most part, I didn't install any crazy encryption stuff or anything like that - it was always setup to be my HTPC using Kodi as my Media Software. 

Any Questions or Suggestions please don't hesitate!

Thanks again for your time and any help with this; 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:09 AM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:54 PM

Hi :welcome: to BleepingComputer,

Did you check the Properties of those files/folders to see if they are encrypted (checked)?

encrypted-folder.jpg

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 PM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:31 PM

did you have the correct codec's installed to be able to play your video files on your dell?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users