Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No mirror found for Linux Live USB installation

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 nikki413

nikki413

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

Hey there,

I would like to create a USB drive with Linux (linuxliveusb.com) to use for my Windows10 laptop. Unfortunately, everytime I try to choose the source "Download" and my preferred Linux version in the creator menu, the error message "No mirrors found" stops me. I have checked my internet connection and also tried different Linux versions but it still won't work.

Could anybody explain me what exactely this mirror is and what I can do to find one so it will work?

Thanks in advance.

Nikki

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 AM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:44 PM

What distro are you attempting to download. If it's one of the supported distros in the LinuxLive matrix you can download the distro's iso from it's website and select iso image at step 2 in the program instead of clicking download.

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:50 PM

1. Which Linux distro are trying to download?

2. What web browser are you using?

3. What OS are you using?

4. What web site are you trying to download from?

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 18 October 2017 - 12:50 PM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 nikki413

nikki413
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:03 PM

web browser: Mozilla Firefox

I downloaded a creator software from the website and with this creator I was trying to create a Linux usb drive. I tried it with: Ubuntu 15.04 "Vivid Vervet" (Unity)

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,519 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:11 PM

Ubuntu 15.04 is an old end of life version and it looks like the last supported version of livelinux. Coming from Windows you may be better off using Mint 17.2 which is still supported till 2019. Are you familiar with Mint? 

Edit: What is the make and model of the computer and how much RAM?

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 October 2017 - 01:12 PM.

#6 nikki413

nikki413
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

No actually I am not familiar with Mint, I am just getting into the whole Linux thing. Are there big differences because I was told Ubuntu would be great for beginners.

I planned on keeping Windows on my laptop and use Linux just with the usb drive. Ram is 8GB). My laptop is around a year, a HP Pavilion Z3B03EA#ABD; Intel® Core™ i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,519 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:39 PM

Ubuntu is different enough where a beginner would be better off with Mint. 

I would recommend you use Mint Cinnamon 17.2 supported by livelinuxusb. If livelinuxusb allows you to use 18.2 I would download it and use the iso option in the program.

Mint Cinnamon

Ubuntu 16.04    If livelinux can let you install it with the iso option. I would not use 15.04

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:29 PM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:10 PM

No actually I am not familiar with Mint, I am just getting into the whole Linux thing. Are there big differences because I was told Ubuntu would be great for beginners.

I planned on keeping Windows on my laptop and use Linux just with the usb drive. Ram is 8GB). My laptop is around a year, a HP Pavilion Z3B03EA#ABD; Intel® Core™ i5-7200U CPU @ 2.50GHz.

As a newby to Linux, I think that you would be lost in Ubuntu. Linux Mint will give you a similar experience to Windows and is an excellent way to start your Linux journey.

https://linuxmint.com/release.php?id=25

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 AlexLee

AlexLee

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 31 October 2017 - 10:20 PM

What web browser are you using?

#10 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett