Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot edit Excel worksheets with Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 teacherbob

teacherbob

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:51 AM

This problem is so bad that there is no answer to it on YouTube. It is so bad I had to buy a new computer with Windows 10 , then had to buy a new printer because there is no printer driver for Windows 10.

The problem is that when I open a worksheet in my computer I can not edit it. It is not protected because the same worksheet will open on my new computer and i can edit it. The computer is 99% perfect but useless because I can not use Excel on it.

Who knows the answer to this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,541 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:30 AM

Have you tried repairing the Excel Application?

What version of Office is this?

#3 teacherbob

teacherbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:45 AM

I will try that repair link. I have Excel 2016

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,384 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:47 AM

I can assure you the version of Windows has nothing to do with the ability to edit your Excel Document.

If the suggested fix above doesn't help, please tell us EXACTLY what happens when you open the document in the Excel version with which you are having an issue?

Edited by Allan, 18 October 2017 - 08:48 AM.

#5 teacherbob

teacherbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 08:53 AM

Hi Allan,

The file opens immediately but I am not able to edit it.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,384 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:05 AM

Bob - please explain EXACTLY what happens when you try to edit it. We can't see your computer from here :) , so you need to provide as much detail as possible. Does it not allow you to enter data at all? Does it allow you to enter/edit but not save?

AND:

- is the version of Excel on the problematic system also 2016 or is it an older version?

- is it part of an Office install or a stand-alone Excel app?

- is it only one file that cannot be edited or does it not edit any Excel file?

- if it is a full Office install, do the other Office apps work as expected?

- have you tried the fix John suggested yet? If not, let's wait until you do.

Edited by Allan, 18 October 2017 - 09:06 AM.

#7 teacherbob

teacherbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:07 AM

There is more to this problem than just the Excel thing. Often Firefox freezes up so i close it. When I try to open it again the message is Firefox is open but is not responding. I have a VPN. The computer does not even list any of the servers available in Australia. The people from the VPN company are not able to fix that problem. My new computer lists them all. Maybe somebody should empty the computer completely and reload the OS.

#8 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,384 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:26 AM

VPN's are another issue and I don't want to involve them with the Exel question. However, if your system is have additional problems then yes, maybe a fresh install is the way to go. That's entirely your call.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,296 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:30 AM

What version of Office is this with the problems?

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#10 teacherbob

teacherbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:33 AM

I just tried to edit a Word document. I can not enter data, in other words there is no response to any keystrokes. I can move the cursor around and close the file and open another one but I can not alter the file in anyway.

Both computers were loaded with Office 20126 from the same disc.

It occurs to me that there is nothing wrong with Office 2016 because it works beaut in my Windows 10 computer but is about useless  in the Windows 7 Computer.

I just tried to create a new word document and I can not . When I click on new, there is no option to open a new blank document or anything else

I haven't tried the repair link.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,384 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:37 AM

Okay. I suggest you uninstall and reinstall Office.

#12 teacherbob

teacherbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:40 AM

I just tried to edit a Word document. I can not enter data, in other words there is no response to any keystrokes. I can move the cursor around and close the file and open another one but I can not alter the file in anyway.

It occurs to me that there is nothing wrong with Office 2016 because it works beaut in my Windows 10 computer but is about useless  in the Windows 7 Computer.

I just tried to create a new word document and I can not . When I click on new, there is no option to open a new blank document or anything else

News Flash.

I just tried the Excel program and it now allows me to edit an existing file. The Word document can also be edited and a new blank document opened.

This is so frustrating

#13 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,384 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:42 AM

okay

#14 teacherbob

teacherbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 09:50 AM

News Flash.

I just tried the Excel program and it now allows me to edit an existing file. The Word document can also be edited and a new blank document opened.

This is so frustrating

#15 teacherbob

teacherbob
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:52 AM

I want to thank everybody who offered advice about my computer problem yesterday. I am impressed by your genuine efforts to help me. The present situation is, I will use the computer, or my friend will, and see what happens. i expect it to dysfunction again, but I can't predict when or how. At that time I will try the remedial actions suggested . I will let you know what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users