Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 recognizes both monitors as one!?! Please help.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fableann

Fableann

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:48 AM

HI! I am new to these forums and wanted to give you a bit of my computers background before getting into the exact problem.

I Have an AMD FX 4300 Quad core 3.8 GHZ

Windows 10 Pro 64bit OS

8 GB Ram 

1 TB HD

AMD Radeon R7 200 Series Graphics Card (core clock 1000 MHz) software version 17.7.2

2 very old Acer LCD wide screen monitors. one a P191W and the other a AL1916W (at least that is what my graphics card tells me)

I built this a few years ago.

I build my computers myself, well... put them together myself, I want to move on to case modifying next, however that is a bit more money than I have atm. So that is my basic specs. Now to get to my problem, which started after the last windows update, so yesterday...

I must mention that my graphics card recognizes both of my monitors individually; windows however, only seems to recognize them both as one huge monitor. My display reads as one monitor with a display resolution of 2880 x 900. When I try to detect it, it registers only one monitor and yet both monitors work. When I went into device manger to see if maybe it is not detecting the monitor in there, and has a "?" it isn't even seeing two monitors at all. Only one. Again though, both monitors(it stretches a picture or window across both screens, and if I minimize, it puts it into one screen) are working, and my graphics card is reading both.

:killcomp:

I am at a loss and could really use some suggestions and help. Thanks in advance. :bananas:

Fableann

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 AM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 11:38 AM

Have you tried updating your video card drivers?

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 AM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:27 PM

i would look at the monitor setting in Catalyst not in the windows monitor settings and see if something is set wonky in there.

#4 Fableann

Fableann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:09 PM

I have all my drivers up to date.

I have been on my catalyst, nothing seems out of place, if anything, it recognizes both monitors as separate. Is there somewhere in particular to look for this setting?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:29 PM

How are the monitors detected when your press the Windows key + P?

#6 Fableann

Fableann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:15 PM

It says pc screen only.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:30 PM

Which of the two monitors is not detected by Windows?

#8 Fableann

Fableann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:27 PM

That was the thing that baffled me the most. I couldn't tell because it had created  both monitors as a completely separate monitor of its own, as one single monitor.

As of last night I fixed the issue.  I had been trying everything with display , either thru windows or thru my graphics catalyst settings. Nothing had been working. I had tried in hardware settings multiple times to get it to detect the device it was not seeing , and because windows had just done an update, I had figured that was the issue. However, at a loss for anything else, I went into hardware again and did an update device drivers, in hopes that maybe, just maybe it would find some kind of drivers for two monitors it was seeing as one. It worked!!! It also found an error to fix! It then did a massively large update as well, and fixed the issue on its own.

Thank you so much everyone for wracking their brains with me. Your suggestions led me to keep trying instead of chucking out  one of my monitors. :love4u:

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,420 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 01:39 PM

Nice. Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for taking the time to post an update with the solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users