Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Store, built-in apps invisible after Fall Creators' Update

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 saguaro2

saguaro2

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 05:21 AM

Last night my laptop installed the Fall Creators' Update. (This was a bit of a surprise, as it's a nearly four-year-old machine upgraded from Win8.1, and all the articles online were saying that systems that shipped with Windows 10 would get it first.) When I logged on in the morning, I found a lot of missing tiles in my  Start Menu. As far as I can tell, nearly all my Store Apps (including Store) are no longer visible on the Start Menu, either as pinned tiles or in the All Apps list. There are a few exceptions -- the Weather app even managed to keep its live tile, while Maps and Microsoft Solitaire Collection were hiding in the All Apps list. I can launch many of the 'missing' apps in a roundabout way by searching in Cortana and clicking on the Store option, which gives me a launch button, but apps launched in this way don't appear in the Task Bar, so if I minimize them I have to use Task View to find them again. Also, the 'pin to start' button in the Store is greyed out. Mail and Calendar isn't even accessible that way -- the Store page just says 'You can find these apps in your All apps list', but they aren't there. (I can launch Calendar by clicking on an appointment in the calendar that pops up when I click on the taskbar clock, and get to Mail that way.)

It looks as though I can get some of the app tiles back by uninstalling and reinstalling from the Store-- I tried that with Twitter and it works now. But I can't do that with the built-in apps like Photos. And yes, I've done a restart.

Non-Store apps are unaffected by all this. Has anyone else seen this? or Do you have any ideas what might be causing this, or how to fix it? I have Norton Internet Security and Dropbox (which I have known to cause start menu issues in the past, but  not recently, and only on my other computer).

UPDATE: I tried the Store Apps troubleshooter, but it didn't help. Eventually I rolled back the upgrade, and all seems to be back to normal for now. (Though I'm still waiting to see what Windows Update wants to do next, as it seems to be stuck on 'checking for updates' and the history tells me a restart is needed to finish installing 1709 ...) The other computer is still in the throes of installing the upgrade, and I will be interested to see whether it has the same problem.

Edited by saguaro2, 18 October 2017 - 07:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 AlexOughton

AlexOughton

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:20 PM

Yes, I'm having exactly the same problem and have also tried those troubleshooters to no avail. For me the store disappeared, as did the rest of my store apps (including those I had installed myself). The store itself is pinned to my taskbar and became an invisible icon after the upgrade. Removing it from the taskbar to try and repin it was a mistake, considering I then couldn't find it in the Start menu to do that.

I rolled-back using my Acronis backup image, and all is now well back on 1703. I tried the upgrade again using a different method (first time was with the update tool, second time through Windows Update), and had the same results. What's interesting is that I have 2 Windows 10 VMs and 1 other physical device which didn't have the issue. That physical device is even the same model as the one with the issue (Surface Pro 3), set up in pretty much the same way.

So, I'm at a loss. Right now I'm just going to wait for a few more cumulative updates to roll out for 1709 before trying this again.

#3 maxknux

maxknux

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 12:39 PM

I got the same problem on my work Laptop and tried to use the troubleshooter but found nothing.

I tried to search for the store but can't be found. I was about to attempt using the update Tool since I used the Windows update.

It works on my Surface Book, HP Omen Laptop, and Surface 3. I am attempting to install it on my old Vaio Laptop in Oct 2010 that came with Win 7 but was updated for the years.

I guess the solution is to revert back.

#4 saguaro2

saguaro2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:58 PM

I guess the solution is to revert back.

It does look that way. :( My other computer is fine, so it obviously isn't a universal problem, but I am seeing other reports, so it must be affecting quite a few people.

#5 TimeStorm

TimeStorm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 02:24 PM

Had a similar problem. After a Windows 10 Version 1709 update today, I lost all desktop icons. However, if I browse to the desktop via File Explorer, the icons are there. I've read various "solutions" all of which do not apply nor do they work. Nice job Microsoft! This is on a Surface Pro so Microsoft cannot complain about the hardware or make lame excuses.

Edited by TimeStorm, 19 October 2017 - 02:32 PM.

#6 srlevine1

srlevine1

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 20 October 2017 - 04:14 AM

I too am missing the store and several tiles (including those purchased from the store). But most of my tiles are dull and washed out. After dragging something from the side bad, the all the tiles resume their full brilliance until I attempt to drag and drop to reposition it on the desktop -- and then most things lose their luminosity and become dull again. Definitely a windows bug in the Fall Creator's release. BTW -- all programs launch.

Attached Files

#7 dmitriywind

dmitriywind

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:14 AM

I installed FCU twice at my VAIO laptop.
After reverting, I runned PowerShell script for reinstalling all UWP apps and launched FCU again. It helped.

But after that, I saw hundred of "NoUIEntryPoints-DesignMode" packages and ran another PowerShell script:

Get-AppxPackage | ? {$_.IsDevelopmentMode -eq "True"} | Remove-AppxPackage

#8 AlexOughton

AlexOughton

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:48 AM

Looks like there's now a lot of discussion of this issue on the Microsoft Community:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/missing-apps-after-w10-creators-update/8b86403a-4077-41aa-afb6-a4517cfc79c5?auth=1

Hopefully this will get MS attention to the problem, and a fix in a future cumulative update.

#9 saguaro2

saguaro2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:56 AM

Looks like there's now a lot of discussion of this issue on the Microsoft Community:

I know - I've been posting over there too. Looks like a couple of people had more success after rolling back and using the Media Creation Tool, but more didn't, and I haven't noticed any official MS presence on the thread yet.

#10 AlexOughton

AlexOughton

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 09:57 AM

Yeah, it sounds more like the MCU method is a fluke. Perhaps if we rolled-back our machines and reattempted installation enough times we too would eventually get a good upgrade...

That doesn't sound like much fun to me.

#11 saguaro2

saguaro2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 05:30 PM

There's another topic on the Microsoft community forum that actually has a staff answer -- though it doesn't seem to be saying much beyond what people have already figured out for themselves.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-start-win_menu/missing-apps-after-installing-windows-10-fall/955dfeb0-ecda-4d52-b61c-bc20211c97a0?auth=1

(And now my laptop is downloading the update again. Guess I'll see what state it's in in the morning ...)

(12 hours later) Nope, still broken. Slightly differently broken this time -- the Microsoft Solitaire Collection was gone, but Mail and Calendar came back after the apps updated. Rolling back again. I hope this isn't going to repeat every Tuesday for the rest of my laptop's life.

Edited by saguaro2, 25 October 2017 - 07:08 AM.

#12 saguaro2

saguaro2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2017 - 04:59 AM

Well, that was interesting. The rollback worked for about five minutes, and then the update started downloading again. I would have snoozed it until the weekend, but I noticed that my OneDrive files were acting strangely (replaced by placeholders that 1703 couldn't access, I guess?) so I went ahead and let the update finish again, with the same results as before. In the meantime I had used shell:appsfolder from the Run prompt and put shortcuts for Store and a few other things on the desktop.

This time I couldn't face rolling back yet again, so I tried the Powershell commands in the MS thread. It sort of worked -- I got about half my app tiles back that way. It might have worked even better if my internet hadn't gone out towards the end of the process! I got some more back by manually uninstalling in Settings and reinstalling from the Store, but that didn't work for everything -- Skype, MSN News, and Reader are stil invisible, for example. Also still missing are some of the built-in apps (Paint3d, 3d Builder, Xbox, Camera) that can't be uninstalled from Settings, and Store itself -- though I do have an invisible but functional shortcut for that on the taskbar now, as well as the one I pinned to the desktop. Some of those apps are now missing from the appsfolder as well, so it's good that I prepared the shortcuts beforehand. (There's an option to pin those shortcuts to Start, but that results in a non-functioning tile.)

So I guess I can live with this, and hope that the still-affected apps eventually get updated, because I really can't face doing a reset of Windows or going through the update yet again (it took about ten hours downloading and 'preparing to install' yesterday.)

Update: And on Friday morning I logged on and my Store icon was no longer invisible. (It's also a different icon, with colour.) The Paint3d icon is back too, with a live tile; the others mentioned above are still missing, but this gives me hope that they will be back some day.

Edited by saguaro2, 27 October 2017 - 04:14 AM.

#13 James712

James712

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:51 PM

In my case windows created new account folders and a lot of the "stuff" was actually there. I just moved stuff to the new folders whenever possible. my MSN weather is broken however.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,657 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

I just did a Clean install of 1709 and don't see these issues, so maybe this is needed to achieve a Clean switch over.  Too bad as this is a big headache for many of you, not as much for me, as I'm not logged in to MS account and all my docs are on USB.  I really don't see the need for MS to keep changing things, why don't they just get it right the first few times and be done with it. If I were using this for business I would be really ticked off!  Fortunately this is just a test machine for me.  Unfortunately this machine don't run Windows 10 very well, at least the Startup is quite slow.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01869191

I don't know much about all this, but it should be noted that many of these apps that you guys are speaking of are NEW! so in some way they may just have been replaced, and you will need to get rid of the old Icons and Reset the New App, but I'm not sure as mine is a Clean Install.

I just moved around some apps and they are all working fine.  Photo Viewer was in my Menu, as was the MS Store, and they all move  around and work fine.  I deleted some from the Start Menu on the Right (Don't know what it's called) and then went to Menu (From the Alphabetical List) and re-pinned them to the Start Menu Right Pane.  As far as I can tell all is working well.  If anyone needs me to try something just say the word.

Edited by pcpunk, 05 November 2017 - 10:35 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users