Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fall creator update error 0xc1900208

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 PM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:44 AM

I don't know where all my files are. And I already said I don't want to drag and drop because I don't want to forget something.
Also the newest version of Windows 10 is not installing successfully.... so I don't understand how I'm supposed to install the latest version...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#32 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  •  

Posted 29 November 2017 - 11:39 AM

Would it just be easier to reinstall the current version or whatever it's called? Then try updating. I'd need to back up my data... I have a one tb external USB 3.0 hard drive. It has files on it from an older computer but it still has plenty of room left. I just need to back up my music and some.exe files and whatnot. Does anyone have any free programs to recommend?
The issue is the files I want to back up are sort of scattered around on the desktop and other folders. Is there a program that's free that'll just scan for media and give me an option on what to back up then let me back it up to the external hard drive?

I was responding to this post before. It is quite simple to just install the newest version of Windows 10 by performing a clean install.

https://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

As far as your personal data, there is no easier way than just dragging and dropping. If you can not find all of your personal data there is no way that a paid program can find it.

Another option is to just clone the entire disc and then perform a clean install of Windows 10. That way you can look for you personal files on your leisure.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#33 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 04:38 AM

Okay I have a one tb external hard drive. It'd have enough room to clone the entire disc. But it had some data on it from older backups of a different computer. Would the external hard drive have to be blank? If not what program do you recommend that's free?
I don't have a lot to back up, just music, pictures, videos, some programs, etc.
For whatever reason my computer in its current state will not install the fall creator update no matter what I've tried. So it seems the whole backing up what I want to keep then doing a clean install is the only way....
So after the clean install it should just update to the fall creator update??

#34 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,540 posts
  •  

Posted 30 November 2017 - 06:28 AM

No, I have done it with old and already half way full hard drives. I use Macrium Reflect, but there are a lot of tools on the market. Macrium for free works good, although to move a couple of hundred gb's of data could take a couple of hours.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#35 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 04:59 AM

I finally got the laptop updated! I tried a few other things to see if it would update in it's old state and everything failed. It wouldn't even let me use the update assistant thing. Anyways I used an old flash drive I forgot I had that had an older bootable version of windows 10 I had. I used that and did a clean install or whatever.

Then got that running. Then once I got it working I used a different flash drive and the upgrade assistant thing to make another bootable flash drive... so now I have two bootable flash drives, one older windows (not sure what version/build) and then the one I downloaded last night.

So once I had the newest version of windows I used the flash drive, deleted all the partitions, told it to use the unallocated space, and to install.

It checked for updates, asked me to sign in, asked me about Cortana settings, etc, etc.

Then it loaded, I manually ran windows update, and downloaded and installed some updates from the Store.

Now that the laptop is finally running 1709 16299.98 is there anything I can do to help ensure this mess doesn't happen again?

I already have my data backed up. But should I run any chkdsk commands now? Or what about making a system image? Like is there anything I can do now that the os install is fresh and I haven't really installed anything?

I just want to help ensure that if it does mess up again it won't be so annoying to fix.

Also....

this is kind of a side topic....

But I right clicked on the desktop and selected personalize then I decided to make my background a solid color for now. Then I clicked on the Colors tab. I selected the option to have windows automatically pick an accent color based on color from my background. I also checked the boxes to have the accent color show on the start, taskbar and action center along with title bars.

However in certain windows like control panel, or this pc, the color is not what I told it to be.

My background is a blue color, and since I told it I want it to pick an accent color based off that, then the title bars and everything else I selected should also be... well, blue.

Which most of them are, except certain things such as this pc, control panel, recycle bin, etc. for some reason these ones are a dull ugly gray color....

why are some thing blue on the title bars like I want, but things such as this pc, control panel, and recycle bin gray?

This makes no sense to me.... is this a glitch? Did I overlook a setting?

Please see the pictures attached to this post to understand better.

I also want to thank you for everyone that has replied to this thread and offered help. I was very frustrated that my computer for whatever reason would not simply install the fall creator update.

It booted up fine, ran programs fine, I checked it several times for viruses/malware using a few different reputable programs, but it just would not install the latest updates.

It literally did everything else fine. I wasn't getting any blue screens or anything.

I still wish I figured out what the issue was.

I ran sfc, I redownloaded the windows components, I ran troubleshooters, nothing fixed the issue.

It would download and install other windows updates and stuff... just not the fall creator one.

Anyways I just want to say I really do appreciate the people that tried helping.

While my problem did not get fixed by any of the suggestions those people did however take their time to try to help.

So I really do appreciate it and thank you.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.png   428.74KB   0 downloads
  • Attached File  2.png   440.95KB   0 downloads

Edited by thatoneguyyep101, 05 December 2017 - 05:01 AM.

#36 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 263 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 AM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:46 AM

If I was you I would go for Windows 10 Reset function.
That will remove all of the software but will keep all of the files.

Resetting function is like re-installing Windows.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

#37 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,279 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:34 PM

Posted 05 December 2017 - 11:55 AM

If I was you I would go for Windows 10 Reset function.
That will remove all of the software but will keep all of the files.

Resetting function is like re-installing Windows.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

It is important that the OP be aware that a Reset has the option to save your personal files, but it will uninstall any third party programs that were installed after starting the computer for the first time.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.  Any third party programs that you installed will be uninstalled during this process.

1. Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings. and the I key to open Settings.

2. Click/tap on Update & Security, then Recovery, then Get Started.

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Edited by dc3, 05 December 2017 - 11:56 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#38 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 07 December 2017 - 04:06 AM

The computer is now working and the only issue it's having is the one mentioned on December 5 around 4 am.
Another issue is when I first set it up with the latest os I opened up task manager as that's just a habit for me to always have that open. Well now every time I restart task manager opens itself.... like I'll restart the computer and the desktop will load, then up pops task manager.
Why is it loading that by itself? How do I get it to stop?
Has anyone else had task manager open itself even after restarts?

Edited by thatoneguyyep101, 07 December 2017 - 04:08 AM.

#39 AlejandroM

AlejandroM

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:25 AM

I, too, got the 0xc1900208 error code when I tried to install the 1709 update (Fall Creators update). According to Microsoft, and confirmed when you run the update manually, this code seems to relate to a conflict with installed software. Or so it claims! In my case it said I had "Nero - Burning Rom" installed, even though in my case I didn't!

Ok, after weeks of frustration, I finally figured out the problem! As many others, the 1709 installer was flagging Nero Burning ROM as blocking the update and telling me to remove it manually. And as many others, I've never had Nero installed on this computer, so there was nothing to uninstall. Well, here's the kicker...

The Win10 1709 update installer checks for programs with compatibility issues ON YOUR ENTIRE DISK! It does not limit the check to programs that are actually installed on your machine. In my case, I had a copy of an old backup of an old computer stored in my documents folder. That old computer had Nero on it, so deep in the backup folders there was a copy of nero.exe. It was just sitting there as data, not installed, but was still flagged by the installer.

If you're experiencing this error, and don't have nero installed, please check all of your data folders for backup copies from other machines, or perhaps old downloads even if they aren't installed. The installer doesn't care where it finds it or whether it makes sense. If it finds nero.exe anywhere on your disk, it'll block the install of the 1709 update.

If you need help finding the blocking files, please contact microsoft via chat and ask them to send you a link to the PowerShell script that can locate the files. They referred to it as "appraiser.zip" or "AppRPS.zip". The script found mine in literally just a few seconds! Oh, how many hours that could have saved me!!! That's why I'm writing this... hoping it'll save someone else all the pain and weeks of frustration.

Please note that Nero is just one of about a dozen programs that can cause the installer to block. I believe the script referenced above will find all of them. I'd post the link myself, but it's best to get these things straight from the vendor. They should give you a set of instructions to follow. I just hope all their reps have access to this. It took me close to two hours on chat before my rep found it and suggested we try it.

Good luck, everyone. I hope this gets documented somewhere so people can easily find it. And if Microsoft is reading this, please make sure your support people can find it quickly, and please FIX THE INSTALLER! It's clearly a bug if it's flagging files that aren't actually relevant to the install.

Cheers!

-- Alejandro

#40 AlejandroM

AlejandroM

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 19 March 2018 - 05:50 AM

One more thing... once I knew where the "blocking" file was located, I simply deleted it (I didn't really need it) and emptied the recycle bin. After that, the update worked with no errors. No need to reset anything or do a full reinstall or muck with the registry, or any other drastic steps. I'm sure this won't apply to everyone having issues with this update, but I suspect it may apply to a lot of you.

My support reps did not jump to the right conclusion. They had me go through all the usual troubleshooting methods, checking installed programs, checking the registry, checking the Program Files folder, etc. They even had me flash my computer's BIOS - yet another irrelevant step. They wanted me to do a complete reinstall, which would have meant reinstalling all my other programs. I refused. They told me either I do a full install of all programs, or I'd have to disable all future updates and live with it. I still refused. Then suddenly, as we were signing off with no resolution, my rep found the script I referenced above in my first post. When I saw where the file was located, I was like, OMG you have to be kidding! How can such a stupidly simple and irrelevant thing cause so much frustration and cause the reps to suggest so many drastic "solutions"? Since the file was in my data folders, not program folders, had I done the full reinstall they were suggesting, it still would have failed! The conflicting program would still have been flagged as "installed"! Just reinforces the old saying, "as soon as you make something idiot-proof, they'll make a better idiot!" (that's aimed at the installer program, not the support reps - they did their best with the info they had at hand)

Good luck!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users