Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fall creator update error 0xc1900208

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#16 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 AM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:30 AM

*I got too busy with work and life in general

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:03 AM

What should I do now? The update says it's installing and gets to around 90% but then the computer restarts and it says it's restoring the previous version of windows. After 10-15 mins it goes back to the login screen and is the version of windows I already had. It doesn't give me an error code or anything.

Is there a logfile or something somewhere that would be helpful?

#18 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 13 November 2017 - 04:25 AM

Hi, I did not find your response to the question of a third party Av (anything other than defender) if you have such, please be sure to disable it before attempting to update. It may be you need to format and do a fresh install (you do have backups?)

One last try is a cmd that we have had success with before, it can take a long time to run and appear to hang, it will however complete, so be patient. Afterwards restart computer and run the cmd again (yes), and then restart and try the update now.

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" copy all the cmd below and paste into the cmd prompt window. Press enter.

fsutil resource setautoreset true c:\&fsutil usn deletejournal /d /n c:&Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup&&sfc /scannow&Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth&sfc /scannow&Dism.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase&pause 

#19 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:28 PM

jenae, I had a few programs installed such as superantispyware, Kaspersky, Malwarebytes, etc. I uninstalled all other them and disabled everything from startup that I could. I'm not sure how to disable Windows defender however.
That command you told me to run... do I copy and paste that all at once? Or is it several commands I need to run one after another?
I tried using the windows media creation tool earlier today... I fell asleep as it was taking a while. I woke up once and it said something about it couldn't do what it was supposed to. There was an error code. But I was tired and don't feel good.. when I checked again the media creation tool wasn't even open. I know I ran it and that I'm not imagining things. The computer was still on but the tool closed itself. How do I get the error code it gave me?

#20 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:47 PM

Hi, yes it's why I said copy all the cmd below, it is one cmd. Best of luck.

#21 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:44 PM

Hi again jenae, so if I understand right you want me to run the command you mentioned in post #19, let it complete, restart the computer again, then run the same command again?

I'm confused about the part where you said "Afterwards restart computer and run the cmd again (yes), and then restart and try the update now."

I have no problem running the command mentioned in post #19, but you want me to restart the computer then run the same commands again?

Just making sure I understand right.

#22 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:03 AM

I ran the command I was asked to do and everything went fine with that part. A little bit ago I tried using the media creation tool then selecting the "upgrade this pc" option.

It downloads everything fine, then later on says it's installing, then after that it says checking for updates, the computer restarts a few times and I'm left with the annoying "restoring previous version of windows" then I'm taken to my normal login screen.

I login, and a window comes up saying "we couldn't install windows 10"

The details are "0x8007042B - 0x4000D

The installation failed in the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation."

This is very frustrating. I've spent a decent amount of time trying to find an answer on my own, and I've saw several different forum pages and whatnot with responses from microsoft support themselves... and it seems they ask what the person's make/model of the computer is and the specs of it.

Then the poster gives the details, then microsoft gives some bleepty generic response, then the poster pretty much says that wasn't helpful, then the microsoft support person disappears. Then a few regular people respond, the poster tries some stuff which doesn't work, then the thread dies.

I came across one thread though where someone said they disabled or turned off their wifi during the "checking for updates" part or whatever and it finished installing the fall creator update.

I'm thinking about trying that. Because mine made it to that point. Last I looked it said it was checking for updates and was at 30% then it restarted and made it further and further but at some point it restarted a few times and I was given the message that it was restoring the previous version of windows.

I am very unhappy with how difficult it is to get the fall creator update to simply install. There is no reason for it.

The tool does all the checks making sure the download went fine, making sure the computer has enough space, blah blah, then it says it's installing it, then it says it's updating it, then it reboots, then it just gives up and goes back to the way it was before.

Does anyone have a solution? If so please let me know!

I'm going to have it redownload it, then when it gets to the part where it says "checking for updates" I'm turning the wifi off.

That's probably the solution. Because it seems that's where it gives up, restarts, then restores previous version.

It's so stupid.

I'd write more here, but then this thread would just be one of those ones that gets out of controls with people possibly arguing/different opinions and whatnot.

Anyways.....

The computer is running windows 10 home, version 1703, os build 15063.726, processor AMD A6-4400M APU, 8GB RAM, 64bit OS, x64 based processor.

I'm just trying to have it simply install the fall creator update.

But it has given me multiple error codes.

I don't know what to do.

Also does anyone else find it pathetic that the media creation tool thinks that it has to redownload the new os every single time?

Like why can't realize that it's already downloaded it 4 times or more already???

#23 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 01:07 AM

Also I'm going to include a picture of the error code in this post because I was angry in the last post and forgot to include it, but I see now there's an edit button, but I'm too lazy to delete what I just typed so we'll just pretend that didn't happen and insert the picture.

Attached Files

#24 opera

opera

• Members
  • 779 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:01 AM

How much free disk space do you have?

Do you have any protected folders on the drive?

#25 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:47 AM

Like 320gb or more I believe. I'm not sure what you mean by protected folders. Like I haven't ever done anything special or weird to any of the folders I've made.

#26 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 252 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 04:05 AM

Hi, before you try again, open a cmd prompt as admin (as shown) and at the prompt type;-

chkdsk /r   (press enter)  you will be told it cannot lock the drive and that it is in use, and do you want to schedule it to run at boot,  type:- Y and restart computer. 

Check disk will run and can take a long time (hours) it may appear to hang just wait, it will complete. It will produce a report, if it indicates bad sectors, let us know.

If it reports no problems, run your update again and yes disable internet after the download, let it install, restart a few times to be sure then reconnect and try updates until all is finished installing, 

#27 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:34 PM

Okay I'm running that command now and will let you know in the near future. Thank you again for your help!

#28 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 26 November 2017 - 03:26 AM

Would it just be easier to reinstall the current version or whatever it's called? Then try updating. I'd need to back up my data... I have a one tb external USB 3.0 hard drive. It has files on it from an older computer but it still has plenty of room left. I just need to back up my music and some.exe files and whatnot. Does anyone have any free programs to recommend?
The issue is the files I want to back up are sort of scattered around on the desktop and other folders. Is there a program that's free that'll just scan for media and give me an option on what to back up then let me back it up to the external hard drive?

#29 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 28 November 2017 - 11:37 PM

Help please?

#30 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:27 AM

Posted 29 November 2017 - 05:39 AM

Would it just be easier to reinstall the current version or whatever it's called? Then try updating. I'd need to back up my data... I have a one tb external USB 3.0 hard drive. It has files on it from an older computer but it still has plenty of room left. I just need to back up my music and some.exe files and whatnot. Does anyone have any free programs to recommend?
The issue is the files I want to back up are sort of scattered around on the desktop and other folders. Is there a program that's free that'll just scan for media and give me an option on what to back up then let me back it up to the external hard drive?

No, just drag and drop. You should always make it a habit to back up all of your data. The mantra in the 21st century is "back up, back up, back up."

Also it would be very difficult to reinstall an older version of Windows 10 and then update. It is very easy to just go straight to the newest version and install that. Just start by dragging and dropping all of your files to your external drive.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users