Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fall creator update error 0xc1900208

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:40 AM

I'm currently running windows 10 15063.674 and I wanted to upgrade to 16299 which I guess is the Fall Creator Update.

I checked for updates in the settings menu, and the only thing that showed was a definition update for windows defender and a security update for flash player.

I then heard you could use a update assistant to get the update right now.

So I went to the microsoft website and downloaded a file named "Windows10Upgrade9252"

It said I was running 15063 and the latest version is 16299, and asked if I wanted to upgrade.

So I clicked the upgrade button or whatever.

It downloaded the files, verified the download... blah blah.

Then it said it was installing it. Around 78% or a little further it said something went wrong and gave me an error code: 0xc1900208

I looked this up and it seems it may be conflicting programs?

I ran across this page https://appuals.com/fix-windows-creators-update-fail-error-0xc1900208/

It says to navigate to C:\Windows\Panther and look for a file named "Compat*.xml"

But the only thing I have in the Panther folder is another folder named "UnattendGC"

Then in the UnattendGC folder there are files named "diagerr.xml", "diagwrn.xml", "setupact.log" and "setuperr.log"

I thought it would be helpful to see what's in one of the log files... but I'm unable to open either of them. Notepad opens with an error message saying "You do not have permission to open this file. See the owner of the file or an administrator to obtain permission."

This is my computer, and I'm the only administrator. So I don't understand the problem. I am logged into my account, which is an administrator.

When I right click either of the .log files and go to the Security tab it says "You must have Read permission to view the properties of this object. Click Advanced to continue."

So after going through more steps it finally lets me see the owner of the file, which says "system".

I'm not sure what to do from there.

I read more about this error and people have suggested running sfc /scannow which I did and it says there are no integrity violations.

I also ran across this: https://appuals.com/fix-windows-creators-update-fail-error-0xc1900208/

And under "method 2" I was following the directions perfectly.

It says to run "ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak" which I can do with no problem.

However I cannot run "ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak" because command prompt says "Access is denied."

I am running the command as administrator though....

I tried navigating to the SoftwareDistribution folder and renaming it manually...

first a window comes up saying folder access denied and that I'll need administrator permission to rename that folder.

I click continue.

Then two user account control windows come up one after the other... I click yes to both of them. Then I am presented with a window saying "Folder in use" "The action can't be completed because the folder or a file in it is open in another program. Close the folder or file and try again."

So pretty much I just simply want to update to the fall creator update, and my computer for whatever reason is totally not having it.

I am unable to do much because I keep getting "access denied" windows when I try to do things, even though I'm the administrator.

It's my computer, the only other user on it is my mom and hers is just a basic account, and she never uses the laptop as she has a tablet I got her.

I also ran across: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/88e68d26-30a6-4dde-993b-9402cae82ec8/renaming-softwaredistribution-folder?forum=winserverManagement

Someone on there said "Click Start > Run > type services.msc Enter - Find Windows Update"

So I tried running services.msc and I get a red window that says "This app has been blocked for your protection" "An administrator has blocked you from running this app. For more information, contact the administrator." mmc.exe publisher: unknown

Is the publisher of that supposed to be unknown? Why can't I run services.msc?

I have no idea what's wrong with my computer, but it's not letting me do much as you can tell if you read all this.

I am the administrator, but the computer keeps being difficult. Help please?!

UPDATE: I found https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-update/system-file-check-sfc-scan-and-repair-system-files/bc609315-da1f-4775-812c-695b60477a93

Since I already ran sfc /scannow I thought I'd try DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth && DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth

Both operations completed successfully, I restarted the computer and tried updating again via the update assistant and around 80 or 81% is where it says something went wrong.

Edited by thatoneguyyep101, 18 October 2017 - 06:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 12:32 AM

Help?

#3 opera

opera

• Members
  • 758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 01:02 AM

What anti-virus are you using? If not Windows Defender try uninstalling it, rebooting and then trying to Update to Fall Creator again

Have you tried turning Fast Startup off?

https://www.howtogeek.com/243901/the-pros-and-cons-of-windows-10s-fast-startup-mode/

(I suspect you cannot run services.msc because you are not opening services from the run dialog by right-clicking on it and selecting 'run as administrator' which is a different thing to being an administrator)

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 AM

Posted 28 October 2017 - 10:18 AM

Download and run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 02:33 AM

Sorry for the delay. I just tried through windows update and it says "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 - Error 0x80242006"

When I started the post I was using the update assistant, but I just now tried through windows update.

If there are any logs or anything I can provide or do please let me know!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,253 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2017 - 09:15 AM

Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter.  If this doesn't resolve this reset the Windows Update Components.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2017 - 02:02 AM

Hello thank you for the response! I downloaded and ran the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Upon running it I got a message saying that a more recent version of it is available, and there was a button for me to run that one. So I clicked the button. The troubleshooter opened and I told it to apply fixes automatically. It said there are pending updates and asked if I wanted to apply that fix.... as far as I know the only pending update it the fall update, but I told it to apply that fix anyways. Then it checked security keys, descriptors, registry keys, etc. It found some problems and says "fixed" next to all of them. I restarted and tried running windows update again. First it says "checking for updates" for a little bit. Then it says updates are available, feature update blah blah, then it says initializing updates then within 5 seconds gives me an error message.... "Feature update to Windows 10, version 1709 - Error 0x80242006"

So I then followed the directions at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/971058/how-do-i-reset-windows-update-components

I followed them exactly but had some issues.... when using an administrator command prompt and "net stop bits" I was told the service was not started. Same with "net stop appidsvc"

I also cannot do the "Ren %systemroot%\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.bak" part because "access is denied"

Also when doing the "Ren %systemroot%\system32\catroot2 catroot2.bak" part it says "a duplicate files exists or the file cannot be found."

I think a duplicate file exists, as I've tried fixing this same issue recently.

I get a "SUCCESS" message after doing "sc.exe sdset bits D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)"

and another SUCCESS after "sc.exe sdset wuauserv D:(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;SY)(A;;CCDCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRSDRCWDWO;;;BA)(A;;CCLCSWLOCRRC;;;AU)(A;;CCLCSWRPWPDTLOCRRC;;;PU)"

"cd /d %windir%\system32" worked fine.

When doing step 6 in the tutorial thing though I get a lot of errors. I do not feel like typing them out manually... so I have took a screenshot of each one. I have then taken each screenshot and just put them into one file. I have attached it. So if there is a command that is listed in the tutorial but I have not included it in that picture of all the screenshots then that just means that command completed without issues.

The picture of all the screenshots is all of the commands my computer had problems with.

Anyways please look at the attached picture. I have restarted the computer a few times and it hasn't helped.

I'm not sure what to do now. The computer works fine, just doesn't want to update.

Attached Files

#8 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 12:47 AM

Not trying to be annoying but I still need help please.

#9 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 AM

Posted 09 November 2017 - 05:28 AM

Hi, you have done a lot of work on this , it would be nice if MS updated their sites, win 10 does not have Application data where it is mentioned, among other problems.

The tech net site has the correct script you only need to download and run it (don't worry if the regsvr32 returns errors this is normal they are throwing the kitchen sink at this (all machines will error similar to yours)

https://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/scriptcenter/Reset-Windows-Update-Agent-d824badc

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,253 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:00 AM

Throwing the kitchen sink?!?  That's the whole kitchen! :blink:

It's rather sad that Microsoft has to provide a script which addresses so many potential update problems in order to correct their design flaws.

#11 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2017 - 02:54 AM

I ran the tool jenae mentioned. First I selected option 3 to delete temporary files in windows. I know I probably didn't need to but I did anyways. It's probably similar to Disk Cleanup. Then I used option 9 which cleans up the superseded components. Probably didn't need to do that either. Then finally I used option 2 which resets windows update components.

It took a little while for option 9 to complete because it just said "renaming software distribution folders" or something like that.

Then it completed. I opened the software distribution folder and it got more files in it and the size of the folder reached 260mb size on disk.

Then I opened the windows update thing and it said initializing updates and the feature update for the fall creator update was listed.

Now it says "preparing to install updates 40%"

So hopefully this time it'll actually just work.

Even if it doesn't I want to thank everyone for their help. I know it takes time to help everyone on here and it's amazing that there are kind and patient people to help with all these computer issues and whatnot.

Sorry if I seemed impatient. Wasn't sure what the proper protocol is for "bumping" a thread/topic.

I'll let you know soon if the update installs or not!

Edited by thatoneguyyep101, 10 November 2017 - 02:55 AM.

#12 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:04 AM

It didn't install. It acted like it was going to as it restarted a few times and stuff like not to turn off the computer. It reached 80% or so then rebooted then said restoring previous version of Windows. Then when I logged in it never gave me an error code or anything. It acted like I didn't even try to update it.
Is there a log or something somewhere I can provide to figure out what went wrong?

#13 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:06 AM

It did say something about Infineon tpm professional package when I was using the upgrade assistant. I removed the files it was talking about and then it still didn't work. I've tried both the upgrade assistant and Windows update. Neither work. And I don't know where the log is or whatever from the most recent incident of it not working.

#14 opera

opera

• Members
  • 758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 12 November 2017 - 01:11 AM

Some info about that Infineon here

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install-winpc/installation-problem-with-windows-10-message/d359d79b-3215-4e5e-a23d-fe407b52a8e0

#15 thatoneguyyep101

thatoneguyyep101
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 240 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:28 AM

I found the Infineon stuff and deleted it. I had it in a folder on my desktop. It was a folder I made that contained drivers for my computer back when it was running Windows 8. It was from the Samsung update tool or whatever that my laptop used to use. But it seems they didn't upgrade it or support it in newer windows versions.
I found the setup files to install the program because I was trying to fix the function keys on my keyboard that adjusts the brightness of the display and I figured it was a driver issue.
Into busy with work and life in general and never did try fixing it but I did keep the drivers in a folder in the desktop.
Windows didn't want to install the Samsung update program but I found workarounds and installed it anyways by removing the digital signature or whatever.
But that's what was stopping my windows 10 fall creator update from working.
But I got past that and restarted it and tried it again. The setup made it further than it did previously but in the end it gave up and said something like "restoring your previous version of Windows"
It never told me what happened but perhaps there's a log file or something somewhere?

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users