Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

more Firefox (computer) issues...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 17 October 2017 - 05:03 PM

so the computer is acting up...

i dont always power it down but it sleeps when i close the lid (laptop)...

when i wake it up so to speak, it takes FOREVER to refresh itself and i get the the circling blue ring (the new hourglass) as i wait and wait. for Firefox to get back to working...

i noticed tonight, down in the lower left corner of the screen this little snippet of crap:

transferring data from vid-io.springserve.com

it basically locks up the computer and it doesnt let me close the browser right away, so i end up ctrl-alt-del in order to open the task manager, to manually close Firefox...

ive run Malwarebytes (newest edition from today) Ad-aware and Microsoft Security Essentials.  none of them found any issues...

id like to shoot it but right now, its the most capable machine that i have...

Firefox just recently installed new updates but, ive got a lot of websites "remembered" or id ditch it and do a new download or even switch to another browser (chrome :-( )

Edited by ltdave, 17 October 2017 - 05:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,893 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 07:48 AM

You need to start a new topic in the malware removal forum by following the instructions below.

Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.

• If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.

When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

Start a new topic, give it a relevant title and post your log(s) along with a brief description of your problem, a summary of any anti-malware tools you have used and a summary of any steps that you have performed on your own. If you cannot produce any of the required logs...start the new topic anyway. Explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happened when you tried to create them. A member of the Malware Removal Team will walk you through, step by step, on how to clean your computer.

After doing this, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can close this one.

DO NOT bump your new topic. Wait for a response from one of the Team Members.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:08 AM

1) The message you see in the Firefox stats bar (transferring data from vid-io.springserve.com) simply means the website is waiting for data from an ad server to load. You can use an ad blocker if you like and that should help.

2) Instead of sleep, try setting the power options to have the HD and display power down after a defined period of inactivity.

I don't see anything in your post that leads me to believe you have an infection, but that doesn't mean you don't Are there any other "symptoms" or just the two Firefox issues you've mentioned?

#4 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:09 PM

2) Instead of sleep, try setting the power options to have the HD and display power down after a defined period of inactivity.

Hibernate? 

i just changed the setting, but i think more than anything the whole computer needs to be gone through because it is just slow and laggy...

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:44 PM

No, not hibernate. I'm not a big fan of hibernation or sleep, but that's just me.

Control Panel - Power Options.

#6 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 04:55 PM

No, not hibernate. I'm not a big fan of hibernation or sleep, but that's just me.

Control Panel - Power Options.

not an option...

Do Nothing

Shut Down

Hibernate

Sleep

im running Win7...

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 06:24 AM

Again, I would select "do nothing". I would then change the settings for the hard drive and display to power down after a defined period of time. But again, that is what I prefer, I can't speak for anyone else.

#8 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 02:57 PM

Again, I would select "do nothing". I would then change the settings for the hard drive and display to power down after a defined period of time. But again, that is what I prefer, I can't speak for anyone else.

and again, i have no option to adjust the hard drive.  Win7 (or my version of it) only gives me these choices: 

Do Nothing

Shut Down

Hibernate

Sleep

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2017 - 05:10 PM

Scroll down in power options. It's there, I assure you