Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fork of: graphics driver causes black screen with cursor

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 draconisgirl

draconisgirl

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:31 AM

I updated malware bytes last night, and it found one malware file just minutes before you posted, strangely enough. I did my normal routine to clean up my computer, then used the links you provided to find a few other programs recommended by this website for cleaning up malware. As far as I can tell I'm completely clean. just to be clear, I restarted my computer several times, and booted in safe mode without networking as well, to run malwarebytes in several different situations and didn't stop until it came up clean several times in a row, and that was before going through all the other programs I used.

here's some updated data from minitoolbox and sysnative, and also the text files from the FRST tool that the malware help page requested (I didn't post anything there, as far as I can tell I got everything, but I ran FRST and am placing the text files here to be proactive and in case I didn't actually get everything, and figured they might be useful.)

NOTE: I re-ran each of these programs after I was finished cleaning up my computer, so these should all be up to date files. I also just added a restore point after uploading these files, because I miraculously remembered to do so (so I do have one more recent restore point that wouldn't be recorded in these files)

Attached Files

Edited by boopme, 17 October 2017 - 09:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 draconisgirl

draconisgirl
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 PM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 04:17 AM

I attempted to re-enable the graphics driver and got a black screen. So after going into safe mode to disable it to get back into normal mode, I uninstalled the driver completely, restarted the computer, and reinstalled the driver (same version mos recent update) currently the driver is enabled and I'm able to see my screen :) :) :) HOWEVER, the real test will be restarting my computer to see if it "holds" or if the dreaded black screen and useless movable cursor will return on startup. (while I have occasionally been able to get the driver working in the past I have NEVER been able to restart the computer and not get the black screen) I am (hopefully understandably) nervous about doing this. I remembered to create a save point, so now I actually have one with the driver working (idk how helpful it'll be though).

QUESTION: what tests or programs should I run, or other things should I check, while my driver is currently working to ensure that everything running smoothly and that would be helpful to diagnose the problem if restart does in fact bring back the black screen? Should I attempt to recreate the BSOD I got earlier? Anything else?

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,520 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

This thread is an extension/fork of the thread in the BSOD forum:  graphics driver causes black screen with cursor

Since malware is at play ongoing analysis is appropriate here.   I will be locking the original thread.  If it should need to be reopened please contact someone on the moderating team.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users