Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Long distance internet sharing advice

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Edge98

Edge98

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:07 PM

Okay so I dont know if this is the right place to post this...but I I really need help from someone who knows their bleep about the internet (cabling, wireless and extenders). This is the situation: I live in an area where I cannot for the life of me get good wired internet. I recently got satellite but the ping makes it very challenging for most things. My familys good friend whom lives around 1000 feet from me has fiber optic.... yes I know wow why cant I right? I live in a kind of...grey area... so she has gladly agreed to let us use her internet as she is old and doesnt use it for much. I need to know from you guys what would be the best way to wire her internet or extend it (or a combination) to my place. I really hope it is possible to accomplish with reasonable ping and packet loss. TIA!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:45 AM

First things first do you have a clear line of sight from your location to hers free from obstructions? Is there an elevation difference from your location to hers, if there is how much? If there are obstructions in your line of sight how high are they? Becuase in order to have a stable signal you need at least 60% clearance of the obstruction. These questions need to be answered first.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

#3 Edge98

Edge98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:37 AM

From my house it goes down about 50m to a river and then uphill about 150m-250m to her house. There is dense forest between the two house too but her house is altogether about 10-20m higher than mine.

#4 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:11 AM

Do you have Google Earth? With Google Earth, you can properly measure distance & elevation and view the elevation profile. So you know what you are dealing with. 

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

#5 Edge98

Edge98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:19 AM

Do you have Google Earth? With Google Earth, you can properly measure distance & elevation and view the elevation profile. So you know what you are dealing with. 

Yes I will get the details right now

#6 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

Good

A. Lattimore

#7 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:33 AM

When you have gotten your measurements send snapshots

A. Lattimore

#8 Edge98

Edge98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:49 AM

This is what I am working with. Would I use a mixture of cables and extenders or cables and repeaters or … ? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Edit: There is a 30ft elevation from my house to theirs. 

Attached Files

Edited by Edge98, 17 October 2017 - 11:57 AM.

#9 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:13 PM

Ok an elevation profile looks like this https://www.gearthblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Tunnel.jpg

Here is how to measure to get the elevation profile. https://support.google.com/earth/answer/148134?hl=en

A. Lattimore

#10 Edge98

Edge98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

Is this sufficient?

Attached Files

#11 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:35 PM

There we go that's what we are looking for good job.

Edited by arlattimor, 17 October 2017 - 12:36 PM.

A. Lattimore

#12 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:42 PM

The highest point of the elevation profile is your friend's house which is 7,606 feet above sea level. While yours is 7,471. Your friends home elevation is 135 feet higher than yours. While outside of your friends home can you clearly see your house?

A. Lattimore

#13 Edge98

Edge98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:45 PM

there Are a lot of trees but I can see her roof

#14 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:47 PM

So let me make sure I understand. From your house, you can see her roof is that right?

A. Lattimore

#15 Edge98

Edge98
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:48 PM

Yes indeed
At the elevation its just branches that block the rest of her house from us not even full trees

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users