Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Grey X's on Desktop Folders

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 KaidensMommy

KaidensMommy

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:25 PM

Hello. I noticed last night that my desktop folders have grey x's in the left hand bottom corners. I noticed this after I synced the desktop folders to my OneDrive account. I have found a ton of stuff about this issue online...some people say it's an issue they have when syncing with different backup programs, others say it doesn't because they haven't done that and it still happened. The files still open and work fine. It seems to just be a visual annoyance. However, it seems that something is wrong since they are there.

On the window's help forums discussing this issue some people said to refresh the desktop which I did and it didn't work. Some of the people who spoke of it being an issue after syncing to OneDrive said that they signed out of OneDrive and back in and that fixed it, but I went online to my OneDrive account, signed out and signed back in and the grey x's are still there.

I tried to do a print screen (CTRL + ALT + PRT SC) to show you the grey x's, but it just took an image of my task bar at the bottom? So I'm not sure what that is about. It works fine if I do a print screen if I have a Word document open, just not if I am trying to do a print screen of the desktop?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,526 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:38 PM

Striking PrtSc alone grabs your entire screen on to the clipboard for pasting into the image processing program of your choice.

ALT+PrtSc snags the Window that currently has focus in the same way.

You must have had focus on the taskbar and the CTRL part of that three-key sequence is ignored entirely, so all you got was the taskbar.

A screen shot would definitely help.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 KaidensMommy

KaidensMommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:00 PM

Oh! I never had that issue before it's always taken the whole screen of what I wanted!

I just gotta figure out how to attach the screen shot now! LoL

#4 KaidensMommy

KaidensMommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:14 PM

Here is the screen shot (if this works!)

1idzGz.png

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,526 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:58 PM

It is very likely that these overlays are there because you've synced the folders to OneDrive (even though I'd expect the overlay to be used to be the green "synced" checkmark).

I realize the following is in regard to Windows 7, but the overlays have not changed:  http://www.thewindowsclub.com/the-overlay-icons-in-windows-7

I have the feeling that somehow something's become confused and that gray X that is supposed to mean "archived to tape" is being used.   I also had a similar issue some time back and it required rebuilding the icon cache (and I believe those instructions were given here on BC).  I have not yet tried searching the forums for "rebuild icon cache" but definitely give that a try, as you might find the instructions before I do.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#6 KaidensMommy

KaidensMommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:59 PM

Great! Thank you so much!

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,526 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:03 PM

Also, see the tutorials on rebuilding icon cache returned by this DuckDuckGo search.  I never know which instruction sets any given person might prefer.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,526 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:25 AM

Also, if you wouldn't mind, please report back on whether rebuilding icon cache changed anything.  It's always interesting to know whether what has worked in the past continues to work or if exceptions have developed.

#9 KaidensMommy

KaidensMommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:09 PM

I started a command prompt following the directions but as I was copying and pasting what it told me to everything disappeared and I can't click to get the command prompt window back?

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,526 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:21 PM

You would need to be much more specific about which commands you entered, and that the command prompt itself came back for the next one, and which command caused command prompt to close on you.

I haven't done this in ages.  Did you try any other sets of instructions?  There are occasional errors that creep into some of them.

#11 KaidensMommy

KaidensMommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:25 PM

I entered this: ie4uinit.exe -show - then pressed enter

I entered this: taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F - then pressed enter

I entered this: DEL /A /Q "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" - then pressed enter

When I wanted to go back to the instructions to copy the next thing everything was gone. I just have a blank screen. I was able to open the task manager CTL+ALT+DELETE to open windows explorer and ask you what to do but that's it.

Command prompt is in the task manager but it opens a new window it doesn't have the stuff I had put into it. So do I just start over?

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,526 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:33 PM

I would suggest trying this method https://www.howtogeek.com/232779/how-to-rebuild-a-broken-icon-cache-in-windows-10/ first.  The advice at Howtogeek is generally very good and it notes that things are different in Windows 10.

#13 KaidensMommy

KaidensMommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:34 PM

OK, so I just start that then?

#14 KaidensMommy

KaidensMommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:36 PM

The problem is as soon as I back out of the command prompt to look at the instructions it's gone and I have no task bar to click on it and bring it back.

#15 KaidensMommy

KaidensMommy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 12:55 PM

Ok it's fixed and the grey x's are gone. In the instructions that I was using, there was a program I could download and run. Stupid me just thought it would be easier to type in the prompts listed in the other option, but that was a mess. The instructions you provided to try first needed me to type in and follow the instructions, which I couldn't do without being able to go between the command prompt window and the firefox window to look at the instructions - which I couldn't do because all I had was a blank screen. The second I backed out of the firefox window it would be gone. I would be able to bring it back by bringing up the task manager, but I would run into the same issue I had using the other instructions - as soon as I back out of the command prompt window to look at the instructions the command prompt window is gone - and with no task bar to get to it my only other option was the task manger (by using CTRL+ALT+DELETE) but it would bring up a blank window with none of the commands I had already typed in. So, I figured the best option was to download the program.

I downloaded the program and I followed the instructions in the command prompt, which was actually really easy because when I was typing the commands myself previously it had done everything –

I opened the program and it said “press any key to continue.” I did that and instead of saying “attempting to delete IconCache.db file…it said they were already deleted. And then I restarted the computer. And the grey x’s were gone and everything was back!

Hopefully they stay gone though, because in other reports of this issue people said they went away but came back. So, we shall see! Thanks for your help!

This is what I used: https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5645-rebuild-icon-cache-windows-10-a.html

I started with option 2, but went to option 1 in the end.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users