Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Kavremvre.exe not Removing...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 chiiibill

chiiibill

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 01:50 PM

Removing KIS from one laptop. Intend to use it elsewhere.

Used kavremvr.exe, but on first two  tries all it did was corrupt some KIS files, disabled keyboard and Realtek HD Audio. But KIS still there in corrupted form.

Reinstalled KIS, have keyboard and audio back. Used kavremvre.exe again and it seemed to uninstall KIS as it no longer starts on bootup.

However, I checked drive and there was still a Kaspersky Labs folder sitting there loaded with files.

How do I remove KIS completely?  Can I just delete that folder  on HD?

Thanks.

Edited by chiiibill, 16 October 2017 - 07:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,070 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 06:43 AM

Anti-virus software components insert themselves into the operating systems core and create numerous files, folders, and registry entries in various locations making it more difficult to remove. It is not uncommon for some anti-virus programs to not completely uninstall itself using the the shortcut in it's All Program's Program folder or the usual method of Apps & features in Windows 10 or Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel or even after using the vendor's removal tool.

Removal tool for Kaspersky Lab products (kavremover)

Some errors might occur when deleting Kaspersky Lab products via Start > Control Panel > Add\Remove Programs (Add/Remove Programs). As a result the application may not uninstall correctly or remnants of the application may remain in the system...

When you remove a product using the kavremover tool, license information is also removed. Make sure you have the license key or the activation code stored elsewhere so that you can use it again later.

In my experience, any leftover folders and files found after running a vendor's removal tool usually can be manually deleted and sent to the Recycle Bin. I would leave them there to ensure there were no adverse side effects which may require restoring them before permanent deletion. Even after a proper uninstall, using a vendor specific removal tool and manual deletion of anything leftover, there still may be related (harmless) remnants in Windows Registry.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 chiiibill

chiiibill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:55 AM

Thanks, once again, for the helpful info quietman7.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,070 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2017 - 03:40 PM

You're welcome chiiibill.

The only thing I forgot to mention is that sometimes when installing another anti-virus or turning on Windows 8/10 Defender, it may find some of those leftover registry entries and not want to cooperate. In that scenario, then a registry search may have to be conducted in order to remove them.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users