Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

possible problem with laptop... fan, other parts, nothing, or?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 339 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 11:20 AM

I apologize in advance if I am starting this thread in a wrong sub forum.  Additionally, a many thanks to the website, its staff, community and others (e.g. who read, respond.)

I own a Dell XPS 15 9550.  It is about one year since I bought it.  I use it, but not to a frequency of every day and for how ever many hours peer week.  I recently moved and brought my laptop with me; however, I am suspicious if it is possibly damaged from transporting it.

I try to consciously use my laptop with care and monitor its condition.  Lately, I've been using Speccy in an attempt to observe its condition, especially temperature.

The other day, I noticed that if I am holding my laptop and tilt it to an almost vertical position with the monitor extended, whether it's on or off, I can hear a noise or two in the laptop as if pieces are moving around or something.  They aren't loud.  One noise is almost a clicking noise as if inserting a flash drive.  The other sort of sounds like water dripping (but I have never spilled anything on/in laptop.) 

From what I read, there should be no noise from the hard drive because it is an SSD.  With that said, is it possible that a part(s) of the laptop is loose, damaged, and so on?  Is there no problem? Is the condition and performance of the laptop not an issue?  I will state that the laptop does not seem to be performing any differently.  It seemingly runs well, is fast as it has been and so on.

May I also ask if there is an average temperature for the laptop and if the fan might be the problem?

Much obliged as always.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:32 PM

Your laptop should be silent. If it sounds like there are things moving around inside the case I would either carefully open the case to see what's going on or take it to a trusted technician and have them do the deed.

I'm going to guess that the fan isn't a problem because you can use the system. If the noise sounds like something is hitting a fan blade you might be able to twist the unit around in a way that moves the offender away. This would also confirm the need to get inside and clean up things.

Check either the Dell site or the CPU manufacturer's site for what would be considered normal operating temperatures for your installation.

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users