I have been troubleshooting this strange problem I have just observe on my HTPC running Windows 7. Firstly, I had SMB setup perfectly, as was able to access the HTPC through another PC in windows explorer using 'Network' and there I caould select 'HTPC' , see all my shares, happy days! Now, for no reason I can find, I cannot access the HTPC! I get 'not authorised etc.' error message when I attempt to view HTPC as described previously.
The strange thing is that I can access the individual shares by typing in the address bar: \\HTPC\Videos, for example. It takes a while to load but this works for my LibraElec PC, Kodi and my Android devices. So it would appear I have security correctly set up for the folders, just not the host machine!!!
I can ping the HTPC from both itself and another PC and I cannot see anything relating to this error in the eventviewer!
I would be extremely grateful for any help with resolving this issue, before I do a reinstall of Windows!
The things I have tried are:
- Checked that SMB1 is not available in 'Windows Features'
- Added 'SMB2' to 'HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters' with value 1 (Dword)
- Toggled homegroup on/off
- Local policy settings: Network security: LAN Manager authentication level: Send LM & NTLM responses, Minimum session security for NTLM SSP: Disable Require 128-bit encryption
- Disabled Windows Firewall
- Disabled ZoneAlarm
- Disabled Bitdefender
- Turned services I believe are related to SMB on to automatic - I may have missed some?!
any help would be great, thank you very much for reading all this - it has been driving me mad!