Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot access compute by SMB

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 megatron_lives

megatron_lives

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:45 AM

Hi everyone!

I have been troubleshooting this strange problem I have just observe on my HTPC running Windows 7. Firstly, I had SMB setup perfectly, as was able to access the HTPC through another PC in windows explorer using  'Network' and there I caould select 'HTPC' , see all my shares, happy days! Now, for no reason I can find, I cannot access the HTPC! I get 'not authorised etc.' error message when I attempt to view HTPC as described previously.

The strange thing is that I can access the individual shares by typing in the address bar: \\HTPC\Videos, for example. It takes a while to load but this works for my LibraElec PC, Kodi and my Android devices. So it would appear I have security correctly set up for the folders, just not the host machine!!!

I can ping the HTPC from both itself and another PC and I cannot see anything relating to this error in the eventviewer!

I would be extremely grateful for any help with resolving this issue, before I do a reinstall of Windows!

The things I have tried are:

• Checked that SMB1 is not available in 'Windows Features'
  • Added 'SMB2' to 'HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters' with value 1 (Dword)
  • Toggled homegroup on/off
  • Local policy settings: Network security: LAN Manager authentication level: Send LM & NTLM responses, Minimum session security for NTLM SSP: Disable Require 128-bit encryption
  • Disabled Windows Firewall
  • Disabled ZoneAlarm
  • Disabled Bitdefender
  • Turned services I believe are related to SMB on to automatic - I may have missed some?!

any help would be great, thank you very much for reading all this - it has been driving me mad!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:01 AM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 12:23 PM

[just guesses]

updates often change the value of 'shares' that have been established