Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

help with ransomeware that has infected my laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 smilee6949

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:38 AM

got a pop up message that my computer is infected and to call a number to fix it.checked on list of things to run to remove it .to daunting for me can anyone help?thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,393 posts
  • Local time:04:38 AM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 10:40 AM

Sounds like you were just hit by a tech support scam, not really ransomware. Ransomware would actually encrypt your files, and you wouldn't be able to open any of them. If you believe the system is actually infected with malware, you can request for assistance in the Malware Removal forums.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#3 quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,739 posts
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 05:25 PM

As Demonslay335 noted, actual ransomware usually will have obvious indications (signs of infection).

You may want to read Beware of Phony Emails & Tech Support Scams for more information about how these scams work and resources to protect yourself...there are suggestions near the bottom for dealing with scams and a list of security scanning tools to use in case the usual methods do not resolve the problem or you allowed remote access into your computer.

If you need individual assistance with a possible malware infection, you should start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users