Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting Win 8.1 key off of DVD without installing it

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Learning123

Learning123

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:04 AM

Hi folks, I bought an HP notebook in November 2014 from newegg.com with Windows 7 Pro installed along with Windows 8.1 Pro upgrade DVD shipped in the package. The product description said "HP 350 G1 Notebook ... Windows 7 Professional 64-Bit with Windows 8.1 Pro License". I already found Window 7 Pro license key in my PC, but what I want is Windows 8.1 Pro key WITHOUT installing it.

Can I find it on the provided DVD itself somehow? (If so, which key finder would work so I don't have to install the 8.1 Pro but can only scan the upgrade DVD)

Would my notebook itself have both Windows 7 Pro and Windows 8.1 Pro keys already somewhere in the registry?

Would 8.1 Pro key be different from Windows 7 Pro key?

Thank you!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,558 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:25 AM

I am pretty sure you HP uses a Windows 7 SLP key with a SLIC BIOS. The SLP key is generic and is used on every HP computer with Windows 7 pre-installed. This avoids activation. I don't believe your Windows 8.1 DVD has a key in the general sense. See the below links.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_Locked_Pre-installation

http://www.squidworks.net/2015/03/how-to-windows-7-oem-activation/

#3 Learning123

Learning123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:11 PM

Thanks JohnC, this is a bit over my head. When I ran a key finder, I found both a Win 7 generic license key as well as a different "BIOS OEM" key.

I see this article:

http://www.zdnet.com/article/going-pro-how-to-upgrade-windows-10-home-without-hassles/

suggests that if I have an unused 8.1 Pro key, I could upgrade another computer from Win10Home to Win10Pro using that key. So, I am wondering if the key I found in the bios would be the 8.1 Pro key even though computer is shipped with and running win7.

My hope is that for example I can continue to run Win7 Pro on the shipped HP computer but use the 8.1 Pro key on another (non-HP) computer to upgrade from its Win10Home to Win10Pro...

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,558 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 01:30 PM

That's a good question regarding the BIOS key.

This keyfinder should tell you if BIOS key is 8.1 home or pro.

https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases

You can't transfer an OEM key to another computer. The key in BIOS would be OEM.

#5 Learning123

Learning123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:07 PM

Hi JohnC, regarding what you said

> You can't transfer an OEM key to another computer. The key in BIOS would be OEM.

I noted down the BIOS OEM key I found on the HP Win7Pro computer (one that came with Win 8.1 Pro upgrade DVD) and used it while following the upgrade process at

http://www.zdnet.com/article/going-pro-how-to-upgrade-windows-10-home-without-hassles/

on ANOTHER computer (not even HP), bought with Win10Home. And it appears to have succeeded. Specifically, I used the generic Win 10 Pro key on the Win10Home computer to upgrade to Win10Pro which was not active. Then I tried to activate it with the BIOS OEM key from HP computer and it says Win10Pro is now activated ... ?!

What am I missing? Too good to be true?

At this point I appear to be running both the Win7Pro HP computer and another non-HP Win10Pro computer.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,558 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:13 PM

I never heard of a Windows 7 OEM Pro key from one computer being used to upgrade from Home to Windows 10 Pro on a different computer but if it worked go with it. I would call it a legal grey area.  :wink: It's possible you may be able to use the Windows 8.1 key to upgrade but I can't confirm it.

#7 Learning123

Learning123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 02:54 PM

I don't think it was Win7 OEM Pro key. Win7Pro computer came with 2 keys:

1. Win7 Pro standard key (xxxxx-6P6GT) - I believe Win 7 Pro installation on the PC is using that key and a BIOS tag to indicate that this key is sufficient

2. BIOS OEM key (I am guessing it's Win 8.1 Pro key so that I could upgrade that PC to Win 8.1 Pro when using the included upgrade DVD)

I used the second key (which I am guessing / hoping is currently unused in Win7 PC) when I followed the steps of the article I linked.

Does this make sense or am I fooling myself?

Could Win 10 Pro activation be "temporary" somehow and later revert or be cancelled?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 20,558 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 03:32 PM

I doubt the Windows 10 is temporary. If it's activated it will stay activated. If the key for Windows 7 was retail and not OEM then it makes sense you could upgrade to Windows 10 pro from home using the key. I'm not sure how Microsoft treats keys that were used to upgrade to 10. In other words you could install Windows 7 Pro on another computer using the key used to upgrade to 10 but that is technically not legal.

In regards to using the BIOS key to upgrade another comptuer I don't think it will work but you can give it a try. I would create a complete disk image of the hard drive to a USB hard drive in case things didn't work out. Programs like Macrium Reflect Free, Aomei Backupper, or Easeus Todo Backup Free can do this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users