Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Some problems in live session of Mint 17.3 Xfce...

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 RJNB

RJNB

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:27 AM

Hello,

I have been testing Mint 17.3 Xfce since quite a few days to get to find out if any issues exist before I install...And I have found two of them...

1. Bluetooth doesn't work... Blueman bluetooth manager is installed by default and my other bluetooth device can detect it, but can't connect to pair...The bluetooth window doesn't show anything...zu2fhRn.png
  2. Sometimes, the laptop doesn't shut down...It just shows a black screen with a white area having a few lines of text...(Will post an image soon)...

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

RJ

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,075 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:25 AM

It should be noted that any issues found on the live can be fixed on a full install.

The live is a great way to try linux yes but it is a static image without updates.

But it still may pay off to try a newer version here, Linux mint 18.3 XFCE should work on your hardware.

Edited by MadmanRB, 16 October 2017 - 09:26 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:15 PM

RJNB, You should have mentioned what Bluetooth device you were trying to use.  And as Madman suggested, there are only so many things you can do in a Live Session, believe me, I've tried installing many things LOL, and broken a few devices doing it.  One day installed Teamviewer so me and a friend could take a look at a computer I was working on.  Pretty cool he could get in on a Teamviewer Session with a Linux Live Session!  I've installed tools, browsers etc. but never expect them to work, only happy when they do lol.  There appears to be lot's of info out there on installing bluetoothdevices on Linux.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/setup-bluetooth-in-linux/

Bluetoothvideo

Edited by pcpunk, 16 October 2017 - 08:16 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2017 - 04:53 AM

Hello,

It should be noted that any issues found on the live can be fixed on a full install.

The live is a great way to try linux yes but it is a static image without updates.

But it still may pay off to try a newer version here, Linux mint 18.3 XFCE should work on your hardware.

So, do you think I should install it and then check if the issue persists after applying all the updates?

As for trying a newer version, I am not sure whether it would be a good idea as I have tried Mint 18,18.1 and 18.2(all Xfce as well as mate) but those versions cause an issue with my network connectivity(the details can be found here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/653883/cant-view-some-websites-in-linux-mint-182/?p=4306033 ).

Still, will try 18.3 once it's released... In fact, I still have Mint 18.2 installed on this laptop; so I will simply perform an upgrade and see how things go...Also, I had installed multiple kernels a while ago(just to check if a newer kernel solves the network connectivity issue). Do they have to be removed before I upgrade?

RJNB, You should have mentioned what Bluetooth device you were trying to use.  And as Madman suggested, there are only so many things you can do in a Live Session, believe me, I've tried installing many things LOL, and broken a few devices doing it.  One day installed Teamviewer so me and a friend could take a look at a computer I was working on.  Pretty cool he could get in on a Teamviewer Session with a Linux Live Session!  I've installed tools, browsers etc. but never expect them to work, only happy when they do lol.  There appears to be lot's of info out there on installing bluetoothdevices on Linux.

https://www.maketecheasier.com/setup-bluetooth-in-linux/

Bluetoothvideo

As for the details of the bluetooth device/adapter on my laptop, I will post them soon-can't find anything about that device in this live session of Mint...Will boot into XP and check...

EDIT: Attached File  untitled.jpg   56.91KB   0 downloads

Thanks

RJ

Edited by RJNB, 19 October 2017 - 02:24 AM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2017 - 06:22 PM

I would think you know what bluetooth device you were trying to use?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2017 - 10:37 PM

Hello,

I would think you know what bluetooth device you were trying to use?

Well, there isn't much that I know other than that I am trying to send some files from my phone to my laptop using bluetooth... Those are the devices I am using; but I thought you were asking about the bluetooth device(or whatever it is called) used by my laptop the details of which are in that image posted in my last post...

Here is how it looks when it fails to power down...

Attached File  screenshot.jpg   124.77KB   0 downloads

And by the way, bluetooth did work during a live session a couple of days ago...It wasn't working before that day and has not worked since...So, maybe an actual install will fix it as Madman said...

Thanks

RJ

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2017 - 09:10 AM

You may be able to fix your Connection issues in Linux Mint 18.2 Xfce by changing the Channel on your Router, can you do that and try it?  I've had to do this with Mate 18.0.  Try Channel 3, or one that has the least traffic.

So then the Bluetooth device would be your Phone, and it may help to know what phone you are using, but I'll leave that up to you.  I don't know anything about it but there is tons on the www.

I thought you were going to reinstall with .1 or .2?  I thought I did the research on which one you should use also?  If I get ACPI Probe Failed I always just go to an earlier distro that fixes it.  The Warning may be benign but I don't like it, and sometimes won't even allow one to boot.

Wait, it was 18.something that you installed right and did not work well for some reason?

Why don't you just use a Cable to get stuff off your phone?

We've told you there is only so much one can do in a Live Session so I would not worry about the Bluetooth for now.

Do you see "ACPI Probe Failed" on Boot also?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2017 - 10:00 PM

Hello,

You may be able to fix your Connection issues in Linux Mint 18.2 Xfce by changing the Channel on your Router, can you do that and try it?  I've had to do this with Mate 18.0.  Try Channel 3, or one that has the least traffic.

So then the Bluetooth device would be your Phone, and it may help to know what phone you are using, but I'll leave that up to you.  I don't know anything about it but there is tons on the www.

I thought you were going to reinstall with .1 or .2?  I thought I did the research on which one you should use also?  If I get ACPI Probe Failed I always just go to an earlier distro that fixes it.  The Warning may be benign but I don't like it, and sometimes won't even allow one to boot.

Wait, it was 18.something that you installed right and did not work well for some reason?

Why don't you just use a Cable to get stuff off your phone?

We've told you there is only so much one can do in a Live Session so I would not worry about the Bluetooth for now.

Do you see "ACPI Probe Failed" on Boot also?

• I am not sure whether I can change the channel on my router as I don't even know whether I have one(this is an ethernet connection via PPPoE using a modem; there might be a router somewhere between my laptop and my ISP but it is likely that I don't have access to it)...
  • As for bluetooth, I agree that we can look into it after an actual install if needed. Yes, I can use a cable to transfer while we sort this out...
  • Yes, you are right...I did install 18.1 Xfce but it didn't work too well-the website connectivity issue...So I installed 18.2 Xfce hoping that it would be fixed in the later version but it was not...In fact, I have that install of 18.2 on my hard drive but I rarely use it-I mostly boot from the live usb(Mint 17.3 Xfce)
  • We had concluded the last topic by deciding to go back to an older version(17.x) which worked for me. That happened to be 17.3(I had used 17.3 Mate a while ago but it was installed on my external hdd which caused problems due to a not so reliable usb connection). If what I remember is correct, you had suggested Mate but Xfce being lighter, I chose Xfce.
  • Yes, I had not noticed it before but the same ACPI error is also displayed for a brief period when I boot. But so far, it hasn't prevented me from booting...

Thanks!

RJ

#9 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 07:02 AM

Hello,

The bluetooth issue is solved! I have noticed that whenever I switch bluetooth in XP and reboot using the live usb without switching it off, I can use it in Mint(both 17.3 and 18.2) without any problems! So XP was the culprit after all!

And as for the ACPI issue, I will try an earlier one as pcpunk suggested...

Thanks!
RJ

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,882 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2017 - 11:41 AM

So let's get on with installing Mint 17.3 Xfce, or even 17.1 would be fine if .3 gives you ACPI Errors/Warnings.  Seems they are harmless usually, but I always go back a Distro if I get them because I feel it takes longer to boot when this happens.  Some AMD won't work correctly if you are getting these warnings.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 RJNB

RJNB
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 285 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2017 - 05:50 AM

Hello,

Seems they are harmless usually, but I always go back a Distro if I get them because I feel it takes longer to boot when this happens.  Some AMD won't work correctly if you are getting these warnings.

I don't think I have any AMD hardware...So that shouldn't be really much of a problem...I think it would be better to go with 17.3 and see if an actual install gets rid of those errors-I don't know much about how Linux works but maybe something might have gone wrong while creating the live usb that is throwing this warning...Or maybe an update might fix this...

So, what do you all think-should we go for 17.3 or try 17.2 or 17.1(or maybe even 17.0) instead?

Thanks for all the support!

RJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users